*Listen to this!* It's only 6 Minutes, but it's the Key!

_raVen_

WATCH and LISTEN

This is why I'm such a nag about greens and such an advocate for Eat To Live.

This short portion gives such essential information on why we need to clean up our vegan diets.

I can tell you that, from personal experience with the various vegan health diets, this one is the optimal -- none other comes close...really

I'll listen tonight.

I'm still not doing good enough on leafy greens. The problem is that I don't like to go to the store often and fresh leafy greens go bad quick. I'd rather just work with canned spinach. I did fry some kale last night with lemon juice and onions and a tiny bit of olive oil. Then added this in to brown rice and curried cauliflower, carrots, potatoes and peas. Which in turn was mixed up with a bunch of homemade hummus (one can chickpeas, 3 TBL spoons lemon juice and couple spoons of tahini). Was pretty good. Hummus makes everything taste so much better.

I know a guy that's 60 years old who loves spinach. He'll just sit back with a can of spinach and eats it plain from the can while watching TV. He looks very, very young. From a distance he could pass for in his 30's.

I just can not get enough calories without starches, grains and denser calorie fruits like bananas. I also eat high nurtient foods but just as his chart shows, they are low in calories, so even seven to ten servings of vegetables is only probably 20% to 25% of my calories.

If you only got most of your calories from vegetables, you would have to eat much of the day, wouldn't you?

I'll listen tonight.

I'm still not doing good enough on leafy greens. The problem is that I don't like to go to the store often and fresh leafy greens go bad quick. I'd rather just work with canned spinach. I did fry some kale last night with lemon juice and onions and a tiny bit of olive oil. Then added this in to brown rice and curried cauliflower, carrots, potatoes and peas. Which in turn was mixed up with a bunch of homemade hummus (one can chickpeas, 3 TBL spoons lemon juice and couple spoons of tahini). Was pretty good. Hummus makes everything taste so much better.

I know a guy that's 60 years old who loves spinach. He'll just sit back with a can of spinach and eats it plain from the can while watching TV. He looks very, very young. From a distance he could pass for in his 30's.

Is he a sailor and have huge forearms?????

WATCH and LISTEN

This is why I'm such a nag about greens and such an advocate for Eat To Live.

This short portion gives such essential information on why we need to clean up our vegan diets.

I can tell you that, from personal experience with the various vegan health diets, this one is the optimal -- none other comes close...really

Raven he says that we cannot get enough nutrients from raw food because we dont chew it well enough. He turns to cooked veggies but does not mention blending the greens, or other veggies, as victoria Boutenko does. I am guessing from that short clip that he does not fancy Blending? I dont know too much about him, so I am basing my question on that clip.

I guess that, from what I had read lately (and most of that has been from raw and green smoothie sources, admittedly) that cooking was a last resort in the face of blending. Just curious.

thanks for the clip raven

The problem is that I don't like to go to the store often and fresh leafy greens go bad quick...

You know I have a solution to this

Place greens in a glass, jar, etc. with a bit of water (not too much so that the green leafs are not too much under water or they'll rot faster). Cover with plastic bag (I use those green-fresh preserver bags, but used regular produce bags for years just fine). Rubber-band it loosely to hold in place. This preserves your greens *and* herbs for a loooooooong time. I've had herbs two weeks and not lost any potency (nor did they even wilt) that was detectable. Obviously you don't want to keep greens any longer than you have to; but this would be great for you, Jay; works for me too, since I consume a lot of greens . I keep mine on the side door of the fridge. It's like a little "greenhouse" for your greens .

I'd rather just work with canned spinach...

Can't you switch to frozen? Better than canned.

Another excellent presentation about Soy isolates! Dr. McDougall (whose "diet" I do not advocate as optimal; but it's a good place to start) gives some vital, vital, vital info on soy isolated protein, including the fake soy-meats vegans love. Excellent.

By the way, Jay, when I'm done watching the 12-hour DVD, I'll send it to you, if you want to see it. 'Course, I want you to send it back, though . This will definitely be one of my "lender" items. so many people I know need to see this. It's better than trying to get them to read

Oh, yea, Pazios! He's totally into blending! He advocates blended salads and green smoothies all the time! He loves them. It's in his book, "eat to Live." That's just a short clip from his talk

Edited by _raVen_

another great clip, thanks again raven

I might read that eat to live book.

but t be honest my first book to read from my list was "living on live food" by alissa cohen

have you read it before?

what did you think of that book ?

I mostly wanted to look at it as I have little to no knowledge of raw food technique. and many people pointed to it for those types of things.

thanks again raven

but t be honest my first book to read from my list was "living on live food" by alissa cohen

have you read it before?

I mostly wanted to look at it as I have little to no knowledge of raw food technique. and many people pointed to it for those types of things.

thanks again raven

Yes, I've read the Living on live food; but, to be honest -- the text -- is nothing I didn't know already (lots of space in this very large book is just various testimonials); it's very basic info. There are a lot of recipes; but only valuable if you want gourmet, very-very-very fatty recipes (only a handful of low-to-no fat recipes). Not healthy, in my opinion, since they are very high fat (even raw fat isn't healthful in such large amounts) and high in oils ( ) which isn't healthful at all.... But, again, if you want some of these type of recipes for occasions, then, I suppose it's valuable. So, basically, it was not helpful for me

BUT, since you want to learn technique for recipes, you might like the dvd which shows her making the recipes. It's good for that; but a bit deceptive in its promotion of the quickness.

If you're willing to send them back, , I'd send my Living on Live Food DVD to you, no problem! And I'll throw in my copy of Eat to live too; my lender copy is being borrowed by a doc I lended it

I'll give this a listen after the gym. I'm already convinced that raw foods are the best for health, and I have started to have green smoothies. In fact, I am having one right now--kale, spinach, watercress, pear, and banana. It's really not bad. And it's amazing how very bright green they are!

Hey, that's awesome! Did any of my many (probbably too many ) posts about them help? I know I nag about them, but they are just so incredible! I probably have 100 posts with green smoothies in them .

I think high-raw is best and doable for most people; I don't believe 100% is necessary. I think just getting people to add some -- any -- amount of raw foods in the diet is going to help! Sadly, some people like to think having a couple pieces of fruit means they eat "raw foods" ha!

How are you doing adding raw? Are you doing recipes or whole foods? Starting to add slowly?

Hey, that's awesome! Did any of my many (probbably too many ) posts about them help? I know I nag about them, but they are just so incredible! I probably have 100 posts with green smoothies in them .

I think high-raw is best and doable for most people; I don't believe 100% is necessary. I think just getting people to add some -- any -- amount of raw foods in the diet is going to help! Sadly, some people like to think having a couple pieces of fruit means they eat "raw foods" ha!

How are you doing adding raw? Are you doing recipes or whole foods? Starting to add slowly?

Yes, your pushing of green smoothies did help!

I used to eat very little fruit and veg, so eating more is pretty easy! I have fruit smoothie (banana and blueberry with almond milk and vega) in the morning. I used to have Luna bars mid morning, but now have a raw bar. Lunch is cooked, but I try to keep it still homemade or at least a natural and not highly processed prepared food (e.g., Amy's soup), like some kind of stew with legumes and at least one veg. Afternoon snacks are fruits or raw nuts. When I get home I make a green smoothie that I drink throughout the evening. And dinner is usually raw as well--generally some kind of salad. I haven't been doing this very long. I'll have to get more creative with my evening meals soon.

Hey my friend, JW, no, he actually has pretty thin forearms although he's 6'6".

The problem is that I don't like to go to the store often and fresh leafy greens go bad quick...

You know I have a solution to this

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/Raven_PZ/Food%20Album/RAW/Store_Frsh_Greens_Kale3.jpg

Place greens in a glass, jar, etc. with a bit of water (not too much so that the green leafs are not too much under water or they'll rot faster). Cover with plastic bag (I use those green-fresh preserver bags, but used regular produce bags for years just fine). Rubber-band it loosely to hold in place. This preserves your greens *and* herbs for a loooooooong time. I've had herbs two weeks and not lost any potency (nor did they even wilt) that was detectable. Obviously you don't want to keep greens any longer than you have to; but this would be great for you, Jay; works for me too, since I consume a lot of greens . I keep mine on the side door of the fridge. It's like a little "greenhouse" for your greens .

OK, I"ll do that. Should have guessed you had answer to it.

I'd rather just work with canned spinach...

Can't you switch to frozen? Better than canned.

Well, yeah. OK.

By the way, Jay, when I'm done watching the 12-hour DVD, I'll send it to you, if you want to see it. 'Course, I want you to send it back, though . This will definitely be one of my "lender" items. so many people I know need to see this. It's better than trying to get them to read

That would be awesome! I watched that little bit and am interested. I read a study recently BTW on leafy greens showing a big difference in the decline of mental function and have been trying to think of ways to get more greens in my diet. I have been eating lots of broccoli no problem. There's this chinese place nearby where the broccoli tastes better than candy to me.

From that video I was surprised to see cauliflower so high and potatoes twice as high as whole wheat bread.

have you read it before?

thanks again raven

Yes, I've read the Living on live food; but, to be honest -- the text -- is nothing I didn't know already (lots of space in this very large book is just various testimonials); it's very basic info. There are a lot of recipes; but only valuable if you want gourmet, very-very-very fatty recipes (only a handful of low-to-no fat recipes). Not healthy, in my opinion, since they are very high fat (even raw fat isn't healthful in such large amounts) and high in oils ( ) which isn't healthful at all.... But, again, if you want some of these type of recipes for occasions, then, I suppose it's valuable. So, basically, it was not helpful for me

BUT, since you want to learn technique for recipes, you might like the dvd which shows her making the recipes. It's good for that; but a bit deceptive in its promotion of the quickness.

If you're willing to send them back, , I'd send my Living on Live Food DVD to you, no problem! And I'll throw in my copy of Eat to live too; my lender copy is being borrowed by a doc I lended it

Raven that would be awesome if you let me borrow those alissa cohen dvds. I will return them back to you as quickly as possible.

Please also put me on the list for borrowing those 12 hour dvds, that jay is borrowing. those would be great too.

I'll listen tonight.

Is he a sailor and have huge forearms?????

I found out how great greens are years ago when I decided to try a lower carb diet and ate super green salads and realized how great I felt. I planned to cut out carbs by eating greens initially but ended up eating all kinds of raw fruits and vegetables because of the results I was getting.

If I don't feel like a salad I use the leaves for wraps and add something very flavorful. Soups are a favorite of mine lately. Mix the greens in there.

Jay, I should be getting it first or second week of December, so a few weeks from now. I ordered it a while ago, but it's not being sent out till Dec.

Yes, your pushing of green smoothies did help!

I used to eat very little fruit and veg, so eating more is pretty easy! I have fruit smoothie (banana and blueberry with almond milk and vega) in the morning. I used to have Luna bars mid morning, but now have a raw bar. Lunch is cooked, but I try to keep it still homemade or at least a natural and not highly processed prepared food (e.g., Amy's soup), like some kind of stew with legumes and at least one veg. Afternoon snacks are fruits or raw nuts. When I get home I make a green smoothie that I drink throughout the evening. And dinner is usually raw as well--generally some kind of salad. I haven't been doing this very long. I'll have to get more creative with my evening meals soon.

Oh I'm glad . Do ever get the idea no one reads your posts??

Wow, your diet looks really great! How are you feeling? Are you eating more or less, you think? Keep me updated on your results; I love reading all the improvements people experience. Let me know if you need any help, and I'll try

pazios2002, I pm'd you back

Wow, your diet looks really great! How are you feeling? Are you eating more or less, you think? Keep me updated on your results; I love reading all the improvements people experience. Let me know if you need any help, and I'll try

I did a bit of eating out this weekend, so I ate more cooked food than usual. I want to make sure I have a green smoothie every single day, no matter what else I do or don't eat. It hasn't been very long. Just a week ago, I was having a 4-day (cooked) food binge in Portland.

I do think I am a bit less tired--for example, I played with my band this weekend. We play Fri and Sat, both nights with three hour-long sets (9:30 - 1:30 with breaks) and break-down and load out at the end of Sat gig. I feel much less tired today than I usually do on gig weekends.

Another change is that I actually like grocery shopping now! I used to really hate it, but I find now that I am excited to go in and look at the produce and pick out what fruit and veg I am going to have for the week. I definitely feel psychologically better eating this way, and with more time I am sure I will notice more physical changes as well.

Oh, and my skin is already looking really good!

Maybe once I have been doing this for many months I will write a full post about my experience. Katrina is doing the more-raw thing as well (she is actually the one who started this) so we will also have her experience to describe.

I think I am probably eating less. I at least notice I am getting less hungry. When I first started, I was starving in the afternoon and the fruit and nuts didn't help much, but after just a couple of days, my hunger in the afternoon was much less.

Questions--how do you generally eat your veggies? Do you eat salads or are you more creative? Do you have any suggestions for online recipes? What about dressings? Right now I am using what we already have in the fridge but would like to make my own raw dressings in the future.

I do think I am a bit less tired--for example, I played with my band this weekend. We play Fri and Sat, both nights with three hour-long sets (9:30 - 1:30 with breaks) and break-down and load out at the end of Sat gig. I feel much less tired today than I usually do on gig weekends.

That's awesome because sometimes it goes the opposite way and one feels rundown and tired for a while before they get that energy.

Another change is that I actually like grocery shopping now! I used to really hate it, but I find now that I am excited to go in and look at the produce and pick out what fruit and veg I am going to have for the week. I definitely feel psychologically better eating this way...

Oh, TOTALLY! This is one of the wonderful mind/emotional improvements. I mean, just knowing you are eating healfully boosts mood. I think a lot of the people who try to go 100% right away get that "high" and then crash because they put up unrealistic expectations for themselves; going slower is better for those types. It's when they continually see cooked food as "poison," etc., that they see consumption of a crumb of cooked food as a "failure." It only feeds food obsessions and disordered thinking.

Some can go 100% right away, though; not many last.

... and with more time I am sure I will notice more physical changes as well.

Oh, you definitely will!

Oh, and my skin is already looking really good!

That's one of the most common benefits. It's great. I had nasty feet (well, they aren't fantabulous or anything now, but...) and now they are soft and smooth, even my heels.

Maybe once I have been doing this for many months I will write a full post about my experience. Katrina is doing the more-raw thing as well (she is actually the one who started this) so we will also have her experience to describe.

Oh, yea, that would be great. I'd love to read Katrina's experience too. You know, it's strange how easily one can forget. For example, I didn't remember that I used to have what felt like arthritic symptoms (!) in my fingers. I used to think it was related to the cold weather because it mostly happened when I'd run in the dark, early morning hours; so I just shrugged it off. But I have no such thing at all anymore.

I think I am probably eating less. I at least notice I am getting less hungry. When I first started, I was starving in the afternoon and the fruit and nuts didn't help much, but after just a couple of days, my hunger in the afternoon was much less.

Yea, your appetite may fluctuate for a while. But your body seems to have gotten used to it pretty quickly! That's great. Just eat when you're hungry is what Dr. Fuhrman always says: if you're not experiencing true hunger, then your body has a reason for not wanting food at that time.

Questions--how do you generally eat your veggies? Do you eat salads or are you more creative? Do you have any suggestions for online recipes? What about dressings? Right now I am using what we already have in the fridge but would like to make my own raw dressings in the future.

Nah, I'm not creative with raw. I used to be with cooking and baking, but I just don't like the gourmet stuff; so I stick to fresh, raw, wholefoods. I eat my veggies as HUGE salads in a large bowl tossed in a homemade dressing.

Is there something you're looking for in particular? I do a raw version of Dr. F.'s plan; but a lot of raw menus are not really healthful, but more rich -- kinda like transition meals. Like when people first go vegan they eat a lot of fake meats? It's that kinda thing; so it's hard to find the kind of healthful stuff I'd like. Plus some can be complicated *very* time consuming, expensive, and are dehydrated (which I don't like, generally).

You can get good ideas from sites, though. I have a lot of sites saved so I'll collect them and add them to the end of this post later today.

I drink the green smoothies with a low-sugar, high-nutrient fruit like berries.

I also have an all-fruit meal (mono, meaning only one kind of fruit at at time) of the sweeter variety; my favorite is apples, but whatever is in season. There are some awesom persimmons right now!

My dressings are where I consume most of my fats: I use a different nut or seed or combo every day. So I like the creamy dressings . These can be really simple or contain lots of herbs, spices, vinegars, fruits, mustard, etc.

You can get really creative with dressings! I say, just throw stuff in a blender and tweak it! It's really hard to mess one up because you can always save it by adding this or that.

One thing I do -- because I need a lot of dressings for my large salads (I sometimes eat two a day -- to increase the volume of dressings is to add veggie scraps as opposed to overdoing it on nuts. So, when I slice my onions for the salad, the ends (minus the little root end) goes in the blender; some cucumber, a couple of tomatoes, some cauliflower stems, etc. This way, I don't waste anything and I add flavor and volume to my dressings. My dressings taste different every day because of this and because of the different nut or seed I use (fresh coconut is super yummy too).

I have a post here about this, I remember...

Ah, here it is Dressings

That tahini dressing is *awesome*!

Tahini with orange is also very simple and delicious. Avos are great as a base too.

I generally don't snack, but when I do, it's usually a small amount of nuts or seeds or a shot of wheatgrass or something new I find at the market.

Thanks for all of the info!!

Is there something you're looking for in particular? I do a raw version of Dr. F.'s plan; but a lot of raw menus are not really healthful, but more rich -- kinda like transition meals. Like when people first go vegan they eat a lot of fake meats? It's that kinda thing; so it's hard to find the kind of healthful stuff I'd like. Plus some can be complicated *very* time consuming, expensive, and are dehydrated (which I don't like, generally).

Yeah, I think I am not really interested in raw "cooking". At least not right now. I'm pretty happy with salady-type things, but I think I just need to try more kinds of salads and a variety of dressings. Thanks for that dressing info--sounds great just to use a variety of veggies ends and herbs.

(fresh coconut is super yummy too).

Mmm, we have 4 coconuts right now.

Off to make my green smoothie now...

I'm probably going to go fruit shopping once a week. Plus i plan on bringing back several bags of spinach to stash in my fridge. Gotta make some room for that.

Not going all the way raw yet thanks to my limited food storage space. I'd glady run to the store all the time if i had a bike. Walking to the store is fine, walking back with 20 lbs of groceries isn't.

Maybe i'll grab a special food backpack for my trips.

Formica, sorry a day late but here is some stuff:

- The two best online raw stores:

http://www.naturalzing.com/

http://www.rawfood.com/

- These are the shampoos and conditioner I use: http://www.morroccomethod.com/ - they're raw

-Couple others:

http://www.goraw.com/products/home.php?cat=6

http://oneluckyduck.com/index.asp?PAGEACTION=QUICKORDER2

-Just a few of the tons of Recipe Sites:

http://www.rawtimes.com/recipes.html

http://www.therawtable.com/recipes.htm

http://www.rawsacramento.net/recipes.htm

http://www.fresh-network.com/recipes/index.htm

http://www.rawchef.org/recipes/index.html

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/

http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/home/home_a.html

http://www.purejoylivingfoods.com/recipes/index.shtml

http://www.freedomyou.com/level%202/RECIPE%20GUIDE.htm

http://www.rawguru.com/rawfoodrecipes.html

http://www.organicfood.co.uk/inspiration/raw/thaisoup.html

http://p202.ezboard.com/fdepoproverafrm28

http://www.therawfoodsite.com/recipes.htm

http://www.totalrawfood.com/recipes/?PHPSESSID=2cc00bef93c80b2648ea4812cdeed980

http://www.bakingforhealth.com/veganrecipes.html

And Susan V has a great blog sharing her good, mostly E.T.L. recipes (and a link to her recipe index on the side)

---

PelicanAndrew, that sounds excellent. Throw in some green smoothies! Don't just stick to spinach (which is good, but...); get some kale, bok choy, collards; don't forget the greens of veggies, such as carrot-top greens, beet tops; use the leafies on cauliflower heads and broccoli too, etc. All those are greens.

Hey, you can do biceps curls with those grocery bags ;D

• 2 weeks later...

That was a good clip, thanks, I really didn't know this! I need to look at kale, holy shit.

One thing I'd say was slightly badly phrased, although correct, was when he was saying that most of the foods that vegans tend to eat are not above the 100 point line for nutrients. However, the same can be said for non-vegans, in fact to a greater degree more likely, his comments are true but not just of vegans.

Here's the nutrient density list he had in the video, if people want to look at it more closely or use it elsewhere:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/Chrysander/nutrient_density.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/Chrysander/nutrient_density.jpg

Man, I need to get my shit together!! I have never had kale, I will probably hate it, but I should try it because of how hardcore it seems. Additionally, I need to get back to spinach by the looks of things! I already eat a lot of BROC and some carrots. But I need to shift focus more, I didn't realise just how drastic the difference is with these kinds of foods.

I was just reading about omega oils, as people go on about how you need fish oil for it blah blah. I read that you need 1.6g of omega 3 per day. You can get 2.6g from only 1oz of walnuts. So you need about 0.4oz and unless I am mistaken, that's only about 11 or 12 grams of walnuts. That's nothing! Have I miscalculated? It seems so simple to get this oil. You buy walnuts in like 50g or 100g packets normally, so that would last you about a week or so if you were to just eat what you needed of it.