*Listen to this!* It's only 6 Minutes, but it's the Key!

_raVen_

I was just reading about omega oils, as people go on about how you need fish oil for it blah blah. I read that you need 1.6g of omega 3 per day. You can get 2.6g from only 1oz of walnuts. So you need about 0.4oz and unless I am mistaken, that's only about 11 or 12 grams of walnuts. That's nothing! Have I miscalculated? It seems so simple to get this oil. You buy walnuts in like 50g or 100g packets normally, so that would last you about a week or so if you were to just eat what you needed of it.

It's not really that easy. There are a 3 part article on organic athlete that sums up most things you need to know about essential fats. Found here.

Basically, stay away from oils and try to keep the omega3-omega6 ratio in check and don't overdo the polyunsaturateds because they (and especially the omega3) can turn rancid in the body and reak havoc.

Also, Joel Fuhrman is not a proponent of veganism but a proponent for health which can be different. He does state that a healthy vegan diet is the way to go but if you live on potato chips and coke (which some vegans do) there is really no point health wise.

He doesn't talk about the other issues of veganism (allthough he's friends with John Robbins and have read his books, so his well aware) which I think is good. Nutrition and health is one aspect of veganism that gets too little attention and if you just listened to peta you could just avoid meat and eat chips and live to 120. The fact that he's not talking about the other issues just makes his points stronger to health contious non-vegans.

Hey thanks for that link!

Yeah, I agree that veganism isn't necessarily more healthy than anything else. But his phrasing was quite bad. He was saying something like 'sure you can have a vegan diet, but most foods that vegans tend to eat are well below the 100 point line, that can't be a healthy diet' Which is true, but why did he even have to mention vegans? Why not just say 'Most people tend to eat foods which are below the 100 point like, that can't be a healthy diet'. It's like saying 'Black people commit crime'. While that is true, it's irrelevent to be commenting upon black people alone, and it just makes the person seem like they are targetting black people / vegans in their assertions, and not necessarily anybody else.

I think he used the formulation he did because the talk was at the Organic Athlete convent where most people (if not all) are vegan.

Also besides his funny dialect he's really not much of a speaker compared to (for example) John McDougall or Neil Barnard but I think he is more up to date with research than those guys.