What do you say when people ask you what made you go veg?

Rex

It's a really typical question. I'd like to know if you guys can help me out with answers. Usually when people ask me I have so much to tell but I don't know how to put it together. I hope you guys can help me come up with some really nice educative answers.

My answer really depends on who is asking and how.

If it is serious curiosity I explain some aspects of veganism (health, ethics, compassion etc.). When I have the feeling the person is not really interested but only wants to steal my time with prejudices I usually say: Thinking made me become a vegan.

Remember, you are not the one who should explain.

There are no rational reasons for eating animal products (you can take b-12 and vitamin D in pill form). Noone wins.

Just to clarify, I am pretty sure there is no material amount of Vitamin D in animal products. So we are on par. I know it is supplemented into diary (not there originally.) So if one is not getting it from the sun, one must get it from supplements, no matter one’s diet.

Edited by 9nines

I normally ask them if they want the long answer or the short answer, to tell how interested they are. Then if they say 'short answer' then I just say it's because I don't like cruelty to animals. If they want the long answer, then I tell them how I went vegetarian and then how I went vegan, explain what was happening in my life at the time, and then explain my current mindset and some of the choices in my life at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
I normally ask them if they want the long answer or the short answer, to tell how interested they are. Then if they say 'short answer' then I just say it's because I don't like cruelty to animals. If they want the long answer, then I tell them how I went vegetarian and then how I went vegan, explain what was happening in my life at the time, and then explain my current mindset and some of the choices in my life at the moment.

Thanks, Richard. I've now used this advice a few times. If the person is just making polite conversation and not that interested, they are satisfied with my short answer, which is that I became vegan for health reasons, but remain vegan for both health and ethical reasons. If they are truly interested, the short answer usually prompts them to ask for a longer answer, and generally spawns a good discussion.

Maybe I'm weird, but I really don't understand the concept of making polite conversation. Talking should be the sharing of ideas, not just idle jaw-flapping. If I ask a question, it's because I genuinely want to know the answer. If I don't want to discuss a topic, I think of something else to talk about and ask about that. I don't get why someone would ask a question and not want a complete (in this case, long) answer... but, whatever. I'll just give the short answer until they ask for the long one.

Maybe I'm weird, but I really don't understand the concept of making polite conversation. Talking should be the sharing of ideas, not just idle jaw-flapping. If I ask a question, it's because I genuinely want to know the answer. If I don't want to discuss a topic, I think of something else to talk about and ask about that. I don't get why someone would ask a question and not want a complete (in this case, long) answer... but, whatever. I'll just give the short answer until they ask for the long one.

Yeah... I don't like it either. I have got better at it over the years, to just go along rather than abruptly end people's conversation who are just trying to be friendly. But I don't see the point of talking about stuff that neither person is really interested in. Maybe it helps some people relax, like an ice-breaker or whatever, rather than going from silence to deep-conversation. I don't mind doing that though, it makes sense to me.

• 1 month later...

I say... (loudly)

"BECAUSE I'M NOT AN EFFIN' HYPOCRITE!"

hah..no, not really...

But generally when people ask me this question, I try and stick with the

basics and say something to the extent of...

(within about 30 seconds because that's general when they tune out..)

"Well..I was raised vegetarian, I was taught as a small child to respect all

life on this planet... , at the age of 10, My grandmother, after years of struggling with diabetes and chemotherapy from ovarian cancer, she

died of cancer. After I looked into it, did my research, now knowing the strong link between animal products and cancer, I went vegan. I went vegan for health reasons, I remain vegan for ethical reasons."

Something like that.

Anyhow.... the difficult question really is..

when people ask you "SOoOoo... why did you go raw vegan?? you don't eat ANY cooked FOOD??!! "

Still haven't come up with a really good one, general if I say something

clever like, " Because it's what humans ate before disease existed" , or..

it's what humans were meant to consume, I get a blank stare.

So..... I guess I can just ramble off about enzymes..

"Well you see... there are these things called enzymes that all living

creatures have, there are metabolic enzymes and digestive enzymes,

now,as we age....."

blah blah blah blah.

My answer really depends on who is asking and how.

If it is serious curiosity I explain some aspects of veganism (health, ethics, compassion etc.). When I have the feeling the person is not really interested but only wants to steal my time with prejudices I usually say: Thinking made me become a vegan.

I do almost the same thing, depends on the person, if he/she is interested i will try to explain the whole thing, if not, i just tell them that i was born like that, rejecting animal products.