Hobbies and collections

JW

What hobbies & collections do you have?

I have had several collections starting with sports cards when I was younger.

Now I have this strange collection of beer coasters with a sports theme on them.

I also have a collection of bottles. I feel drawn to bottles with different colouring or imprinted designs.

I collect Buddhas for no other reason than I like them and found that after I had a couple, friends and family started buying them as gifts.

oooh that can be dangerous

my sister-in-law started with penguins, now her house is full of them

1800's???? Wow!! Now that's a collection!!

Any notables?? baseball, hockey?

I decided to part ways with my collection a few years ago (it paid for my poor dog's knee surgery) I just found I wasn't enjoying it anymore and barely even looked at them so.....

What hobbies & collections do you have?

I have had several collections starting with sports cards when I was younger.

I have a collection of old sports cards also.

Mostly from the 1800s through the 1960s.

Mostly football and baseball. A little basketball, not much hockeyball.

I've got less than 10 from the 1800s

About the same from 1900-1930

All are tobacco cards.

Probably the biggest name from the 1800s is Buffalo Bill Cody.

A bunch of different athletes were packaged with baseball players.

Shooting was considered a sport I guess.

Most of my cards are from the 1930s-1960s

it's a card game, you lay land cards which generate assorted colours of 'mana' (mana is what you must use to cast spells). Plains produce white mana, islands produce blue mana, swamps black, mountains red, forests green. You use the land to make mana, and cast corresponding coloured spells. You can make creature cards, or make artifacts (like gadgets etc to use, or power your creatures or irritate the opponent), or you cast spells to destroy the opponent's game, by doing damage to them, making them discard cards, kill their creatures, steal their creatures etc. You have to kill your opponent by going through their defences. It is very in-depth, and a lot of fun, so many combinations as you can make different 'colour' decks depending on what style you want to play. White is like 'holy' and healing based, blue is like mind-control and interfering sly stuff, black is like death and plagues and zombies and evil, red is destruction and fire and stuff, green is earth-based nature things like animals, elements, decay... you get multi-coloured cards too...

draught magic is the way! Then you don't have to keep up, you just buy a few cards if and when you feel like it. I haven't bought any cards in about a year, and we play almost every Sunday, it doesn't get old. I used to hate having to keep up with sets and spend loads of money and compete against people's side-boarded decks, myaahhh, this way is much better

That's what I said... draft.

ahrrr...

Yeah I mean we choose 32 of each colour and 25 artifacts, and then go through a system of choosing the cards for our decks - the way we do it is to put 9 cards out on the table at a time, and then you just go in turn choosing one, at a time, then you put another 9 out and you change order of who takes first, so you each get a fair amount of 'first picks' which will be the most powerful cards. Then after you do all the cards you end up with 60 cards, and you filter it down to a 40 card deck, booyahz. You can then add however many land cards you want, but we play slightly different rules. This way, the decks which are created will be fairly balanced, depending on how well you know how valuable the cards are. We filter out shitty cards, we have a box of the cards we want to draft with, and from time to time buy more to add to it for variety.

I had a terrible addiction to baseball, hockey and football cards...got into basketball too but that was toward the end of my life as a card collector. Before that I collected rocks. Later in my early teens I had a not so legal job and managed to collect some pretty snazy watches. Now I try to get as many hand made things as possible through trading and purchasing if I can afford it...as for the card I've still got them and I'm saving them to pay for my kid's college...or my veganized Lamborghini

ahrrr...

Yeah I mean we choose 32 of each colour and 25 artifacts, and then go through a system of choosing the cards for our decks - the way we do it is to put 9 cards out on the table at a time, and then you just go in turn choosing one, at a time, then you put another 9 out and you change order of who takes first, so you each get a fair amount of 'first picks' which will be the most powerful cards. Then after you do all the cards you end up with 60 cards, and you filter it down to a 40 card deck, booyahz. You can then add however many land cards you want, but we play slightly different rules. This way, the decks which are created will be fairly balanced, depending on how well you know how valuable the cards are. We filter out shitty cards, we have a box of the cards we want to draft with, and from time to time buy more to add to it for variety.

Wow sounds awesome!!! I was going to work at our auditorium but i'm just gonna work with my dad over winter break instead. I can make about 1500 in a month i'd say. Then, all that money goes to MAGIC!!!!

Not really, probably gonna need a few more books, not as many as 1st semester. Also need to get more vegan yummies so i don't have to eat at the caf which is progressively worse, but every once and awhile they throw me a curve and have a really good dish.

ahrrr...

Wow sounds awesome!!! I was going to work at our auditorium but i'm just gonna work with my dad over winter break instead. I can make about 1500 in a month i'd say. Then, all that money goes to MAGIC!!!!

Not really, probably gonna need a few more books, not as many as 1st semester. Also need to get more vegan yummies so i don't have to eat at the caf which is progressively worse, but every once and awhile they throw me a curve and have a really good dish.

My brother worked all summer as a bartender one time, and spent basically all of it on Magic. He went into a shop and bought a whole box of boosters... Altogether I think he spent over £300 (about $600) that summer on freaking cards. I was quite bad back then too. These days, because of drafting, it's very inexpensive.

Another way we alter the rules, is to play with no land. That might sound like crap, but hear me out. When you play regular rules with land, if you don't get the land you want, then basically that is bad luck and you suffer quite badly in the game, and it wasn't your fault. So that places a lot on luck (similarly if you draw too much land, that's bad luck too). With no land, what you do is just lay other cards as if they were land, with the colour corresponding to their type of land. Artifacts produce colourless mana, and a multicoloured cards can produce any of the colours in their casting cost. The standard colour cards are then considered to be basic land of their type (blue cards = islands, red = mountains etc), and once they are laid, that is their function in the game, they are no longer what they say on the card, they are land. Multicoloured cards and artifacts are considered non-basic land. Similarly, you can announce at the start of the game that you've got snow-covered lands if you need them for a specific card etc, but the non-basic lands are not snow-covered.

Playing in this manner means you can never be land-shafted or over-run with land, it increases skill and reduces that random element, and it's so simple. You don't even have to worry about how much land to put in, because all the cards have the potential of being laid as land. Additionally, it means you have to think carefull about which cards to lay as land, as you don't want to lay a really powerful card as land, but you have to make sacrifices in order to cast your other spells.

That sounds like one of those bizarre dreams! Have you tried psycho-analysis??

I have this hobby where I go to a big room with mirrors all over the walls. Then I go around the room lifting and pushing bars with heavy pieces of metal on the ends.

Does travel count as a hobby? I dont travel all that much but I spend a lot of time reading, researching & daydreaming about travel. Plus I guess I collect maps & atlas's...

Otherwise, I sort of kind of collect coins from other countries. I dont really go out of my way to get the coins and I dont have any real plan/reason for collecting them... I esp. like coins that have neat stuff stamped on them and/or have a unique shape. A couple of my favorites are:

* the pound that Fredrik brought me - it has a neat dragon on one side but then some dumb lady on the other kinda ruins it. Plus it "feels" like money...

* My square penny from Malaya & British Borneo

I carry these in my pocket all the time - ask me to see them whenever we're hanging out!

Nice!!!!

Those are some good ones to have! How did you come into such old cards? Some people find boxes or "inherit" a collection. I just had my boyhood collection to work with.

1985.... I think that's Mario's rookie card. Keep it in good condition

I did find a few hockey cards.

1933 Eddie Shore

1957 Gordie Howe

1985 Mario Lemieux

I would definitely categorize travel as a hobby!

I love to travel, but having 2 kids has increased the cost somewhat.

We still have dreams of Africa, Australia, China. So many places....

Does travel count as a hobby? I dont travel all that much but I spend a lot of time reading, researching & daydreaming about travel. Plus I guess I collect maps & atlas's...

Otherwise, I sort of kind of collect coins from other countries. I dont really go out of my way to get the coins and I dont have any real plan/reason for collecting them... I esp. like coins that have neat stuff stamped on them and/or have a unique shape. A couple of my favorites are:

* the pound that Fredrik brought me - it has a neat dragon on one side but then some dumb lady on the other kinda ruins it. Plus it "feels" like money...

* My square penny from Malaya & British Borneo

I carry these in my pocket all the time - ask me to see them whenever we're hanging out!

I bought these on ebay.

The Mario has been graded a 10 by PSA.

The Howe is graded a 7

The Shore is graded a 4

Nice!!!!

Those are some good ones to have! How did you come into such old cards? Some people find boxes or "inherit" a collection. I just had my boyhood collection to work with.

1985.... I think that's Mario's rookie card. Keep it in good condition

I did find a few hockey cards.

1933 Eddie Shore

1957 Gordie Howe

1985 Mario Lemieux