Beyond Raw Veganism: Fruitarianism

when i was a little kid, i called myself a fruititarian. and i actually was, except that i ate carrots.

basically, fruititarians only eat plant that they don't have to kill. so carrots are out. but most tree fruits, beans, lefumes, certain greens, etc. I think if the plant just dies, like when grains go to seed and fall over, it's okay to eat. But I'm not sure. I know there are two camps. Those that only eat raw things they could harvest without killing the plant and those that will cook the stuff after they harvested it. So I think that would make tofu okay. But maybe not. IT's not a well defined food culture, as far as I know. I mean, I understand where they got the idea that they shouldn't kill anything. But it's actually impossible to not be killing some kind of organism on a daily or even hourly basis. You own body will kill bacteria without you telling it to. So this whole notion that you could just not kill anything you eat...

I hope that explains it a little. There's a funny scene in Notting Hill in which Hugh Grant's friends try to hook him up with a fruititarian. She explains her diet in there, although it's played for comedy.

There is even an extreme end of the spectrum where you will find the idea of the Breatharians, who live off air and sunlight. Though they say the world is not currently in the pristine state required for humans to survive without eating. It's more about spirituality than having a healthy diet, but extremely interesting nonetheless.

Dick Gregory wrote an interesting book on fruitarianism and even touched on breatharianism. Dick started fasting in the 60's as a form of political protest. He lived on only juice on more than one occassion and for more than a year at a time. Once, he even lived on air for a week!

Dick Gregory's Natural Diet for Folks Who Eat:

Cookin' with Mother Nature

You can read a couple of chapters online here: http://www.newveg.av.org/Dick_Gregory.htm

There is even an extreme end of the spectrum where you will find the idea of the Breatharians, who live off air and sunlight. Though they say the world is not currently in the pristine state required for humans to survive without eating. It's more about spirituality than having a healthy diet, but extremely interesting nonetheless.

As Charlie Brown says, "Oh brother."

People who say they can survive on water or even AIR AND SUNLIGHT need a reality check. If this was ever possible in history, I have never hoiyde (heard) of it, seems like a children's story.

Fruitarianism is cool, because it reduces supposed plant suffering. I see no evidence that plants suffer though, so right now seems kind of not worth doing.

I need some information on building muscle mass on air alone. Is there a certain elevation that would maximize gains? More humidity? Arid climate?

I think the trick is that you need to maximize the amount of resistance air pressure that you work against. Certainly not at elevation. Maybe below sea level... in Death Valley, perhaps. You might experiment with air compositions other than 78% nitrogen / 21% oxygen. If you could hang with Hydrogen, Helium, and Methane, for example, you could do your workout on Jupiter (where the air pressure is 10,000,000 times greater than Earth). I think you'd see killer results then

i have to say that i think fruitarianism is silly. attributing the capability to suffer to a carrot is like attributing it to a rock. raw food veganism is fair enough, great for your health. but fruitarians, well the whole concept strikes me as a little 'fruity' (terrible i know!).

breatharians - wtf? definately need their heads checking out! we are not plants. we cannot photosynthesise! even plants need minerals and water.

there are some crazy crazy people out there!

jonathan

I don't fruitarians cook their fruit, seeds, nuts... And I don't think vegetables suffer. But I like the theory of fruitarians - at least in the sense that if there ARE people out there surviving off of fruit, seeds, and nuts then I don't have to worry so much that my daughter only eats about a half dozen vegetables - well at least she is eating fruits, grains, and legumes.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

My name is Penny and I am a reporter. I'm looking into writing a story about fruititarians, and I've been searching for a group of them to interview. I haven't had much luck yet. If any of you know of a fruititarian organization of some kind, I would really appreciate it if you could post it!

Thanks,

Penny

Hi there,

My name is Penny and I am a reporter. I'm looking into writing a story about fruititarians, and I've been searching for a group of them to interview. I haven't had much luck yet. If any of you know of a fruititarian organization of some kind, I would really appreciate it if you could post it!

Thanks,

Penny

Hi Penny...I'm a strict Fruitarian but if you wanna find a group your gonna be lucky.....because very few people actually make it past their detox.

Check this out!

viewtopic.php?t=4206

And this.....

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/article/775

Oh and last but not least!!!

www.rawfitnessbootcamp.com