Have You Seen "Earthlings"??

jonzen

Reading Trev's thread about Milk Marketing lead me to his terrific blog about it:

http://www.veganunderground.com/debrief.html

This lead me to click on "Earthlings" and I learned about the film. I am producing a film group here in Sisters where I show films in the local Movie House. I am interested in reviewing this film for a potential showing here.

Just wonder how many of you have seen this film, and what were your thoughts and reactions to it?

If any of you happen to own the DVD, would you consider loaning it to me for a review???

I know, I am one heck of a cheap vegan!

Thank you Suz and Trev. Trev's review was marvelous. I plan to encourage a couple of my friends to watch the film along with me.

Your website is very well designed and is elegant in it's pure strength, thank you both for raising the bar so beautifully.

And Suz, welcome to this forum!

Just talked to Shaun Monson, the filmmaker behind Earthlings, phoned me out of the blue after reading my review. He's a super nice guy who's obviously given so much of his life for his film and his cause. My review is apparently making the rounds...

Anyway, I just want to encourage everyone again to see Earthlings. Pass it around, hold screenings, order copies and give'em out for xmas, whatever. This is a great film for an even greater cause. I know a lot of people have been doing just this, but hearing from Shaun just kind of got me going again.

Trev, last year an independent movie house opened in our little village of Sisters. It is first rate in all aspects. I have become friends with the owner and discovered that it is possible to rent one of the screens for $50 an hour. I started putting together a plan to show films and then invite the viewers to stay and discus it afterwards, calling the series, "TALKIES". My goal is to eventually invite movie producers, directors, screenwriters, actors, et al, to come and talk about the art of film and about specific films. I have not yet seen "Earthlings", but when you mentioned that you had spoken to Shaun Monson, the producer of the film, I started dreaming of a screening here that included Mr. Monson and/or others who worked on the film.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

I could run the idea by him and see what he thinks. I got the impression he's a very busy guy, but a screening in a decent sized theatre might entice him out of L.A.

Can the theatre screen video, because I'm not sure if they ever made film prints? The other big consideration is can you fill the theatre? Shaun told me he doesn't lie to people get them to watch Earthlings, he wants them to have some idea of what they're in for. Are there enough people in your area who would go to Earthlings, knowing what it is?

The Food Fight folks have put on a couple screenings of Earthlings, have they not? How did they go? I'm sure they'd have some good input on this, and I bet they know Shaun fairly well.

I think having a large screening is a great idea, and if you can get Shaun to come out and host it, and speak at it, that would be amazing. It's definitely worth trying.

Thank you Suz and Trev.

Your website is very well designed and is elegant in it's pure strength, thank you both for raising the bar so beautifully.

And Suz, welcome to this forum!

I totally agree. I admire you, two (oops, and Brody ) -- you're like a vegan power couple. How great to have a partner who is as passionate as each of you is. I hope you (three) continue with your positive work. I think you will have great influence together.

Great review, by the way, Trev. I, personally, cannot watch Earthlings though. I just can't sit through that kind of stuff; even reading (graphic descriptions of abuse) has become more difficult for me. I've tried to watch things, and I just can't. I'm literally to the point that just inferences or hints to abuse (even "comic") are unbearable (even commercials). I know, I sound weak, but it's just the way it is now. I was much more able to see such stuff as an omni...isn't that interesting? I mean, the numbing effects of the conditioning process we undergo culturally, renders us almost inured to the pain of others (including human animals) -- desensitized to the point that what we're taught is our "humaness" which separates us from "the animals" is a complete and ridiculous fraud. I've been vegan 12 years and it's harder now to watch, hear, and read about abuse than it was before...

I love the Le Monde pictures, too. It reminds me of "Island of Lost Souls," a movie starring Charles Laughton, based on H.G. Wells's "The Island of Dr. Moreau." There's a camp version starring Brando that's pretty good, if you like camp

Thanks, _raVen_ -- Yeah, it's a hard film to watch. I still see those animals everywhere I look, in my own dog, when I'm at work. Can't get those images out of my head. But, I don't want to either. I was so angry with myself that I had been so ignorant all my life. I force myself to deal with it. I know many people proabably cannot watch Earthlings. You've been a vegan for 12 years, so obviously you don't need any convincing, or reinforcement of your ideals. I haven't been a vegan even 1 year yet, so the world is just opening up to me. I've had brushes with animal rights stuff in the past, and experiences which led me, temporarily, to question our treatment of animals, but nothing stuck. I'm getting angry with myself even now, just thinking about it. I think I'll write an article for my site about this.

Getting back to Earthlings... I wish I could show it to all the meat eaters I know, my stupid co-workers, family who do not understand (we did manage to completely convert my parents into vegans over the last few months, and another couple we used to ride bike trials with). But most people wouldn't watch it, and they would turn away from us more. That's the whole problem with animal rights activism, and the truth in general. If it's not convenient, they don't want it. If it hurts, it's bad. I guess it's western, christian culture. I was brought up to believe that pain is good sometimes, and necessary. We learn from sadness. Anyway, I understand why you can't watch it. I've got a lot of ground to make up.

As an aside, I've actually found some comfort in knowing the truth. When it's my 14th hour of work, outside, soaking wet from the Pacific Northwest rain and freezing cold, hungry because there are only animal products to eat at craft service and I find myself starting to wallow in self pity, I just think of the suffering of those animals, and the millions we don't see. Then I can stand up straight again and know why I'm alive. Llife is suffering, in some way, all the time. To seek to end suffering by self-indulgence, will only prolong suffering. I know this now.