The JW Blog: thoughts from a manchild..........

JW

the arms are feeling a bit spent!

people on the bike so I did a 5 min run followed by 5min on bike

2x10

incline bench

deadlifts

lats

squats

shoulder press

calf raises

rows

bicep curls

1x10 flyes

20 incline reverse crunches

having a protein shake and a massive salad right now and wishing I could have a nap!

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm facing another issue soon (and believe it or not , it's NOT injury related)

I've been using machines mainly at the gym. It's just easier and faster for me to get my workout in over the lunch hour.

However, there are a few machines that I'm close to maxing out on the weights.

Lats, Squats, Deadlifts, Rows are the main ones

I could always do one armed/one legged exercises but it would obviously take longer.

I don't envision myself lifting massive weights or becoming massive in phyique but this could be an issue.

Don't really want to change gyms

have to think about this

JW - is there a reason you use machine instead of freeweights? I am not a fan of the machines as they do not strengthen your stabilizers and build functional strength. They don't have the body work as a chain as it is intended to do. I think you might be cheating yourself a bit and also putting yourself more at risk for injury because your using machines instead of the freeweights.

just because of the gym I go to.

It's based on circuit training... going station to station.

It's a bit small so it's tough to haul out the free weights. I will sometimes use dumbells and the kettlebell but it's just easier for me to use the machines.

I should mention that these machines are cable-based allowing full range of motion. If I do bench for instance, I really don't notice much difference from free weights.

I think that in a couple weeks, I'll be back to the circuits for a few weeks.

pretty quiet weekend. (workout wise anyway....)

Ate reasonably clean with the exception of a couple pastries yesterday.

went for a long walk on Saturday and again on Sunday. Almost went to the gym on Saturday but forced myself not to. I'm glad because the muscles feel much more relaxed today.

Back to the gym at lunch today!!

nice one today

feeling pretty spent.

10 min bike

2x8

deadlift

incline bench

lats

squats

calf raises

shoulder press

rows

tricep ext

leg ext

hamstring curls

100 crunches

2x3 manmakers

As much as I've enjoyed this HST approach over the last 3 weeks, I'm getting a bit bored.

Just a week and a half left and I'll change it up again.

Results have been very good but I kind of miss the cardio.

Edited by JW

I grew up when manmakers were running lines in the gym but at the gym I go to it's a bit different.

You do a pushup holding dumbells. While your body is raised, you pull one arm up (like a one armed row), put it down, lift the other arm, put it down. jump forward into a crouch, stand up and shoulder press the dumbells. that's one rep

If you use a challenging weight, they are extremely tiring!!!!

lol I know... it's a pretty insane exercise. I made the mistake of doing it at the end of my workout so that's why I could only push out 3 reps. You REALLY suck wind when you do those too because you are supposed to do them fairly quickly.

Soooo my son came home from a week long school trip on Friday

All the kids came down the escalators with their friends boys with boys, girls with girls and then my son comes along with 3 girls!

THEN he's out the next night at a Hot Tub Party with 8 girls and 3 guys

I don't know whether to be concerned or give him a high five!

he's always been very popular with the girls at school.

I really don't know where he gets it from. (I was scared of girls)

He's actually got a steady girlfriend now for the last 3 months. They talk on the phone every night, go to movies... (I'm told that it isn't an overly "physical" relationship) I hope

He's pretty good about telling us everything. Better stay close to this one!

Thankfully my daughter still thinks boys are gross

those manmakers sound nice.... might have to give them a try! Another fun one is to do a pushup under the pullup bar so after the pushup you do a vertical jump catch the pullup bar and do a pullup. repeat!

somehow I just knew you would like those

ya gotta wonder who thinks up these things!

on a non-fitness note.....

I HATE WORK!!!!!!!

I wish I could just retire right now! Or at least take a mindless job which I enjoy.

Of course I may have to relocate to a van down by the river........... (do I need permission from SNL to use that line?)

rest day today.

which is good because its been not a great day here at work.

Just feel like going home and crashing!

going away on business tomorrow for a couple days but hope to get my workout in tomorrow morning or in the evening. (carefully selected hotel with gym)

OMG!!! now I'm NOT going on my trip because of a few stupid emergency projects which I haven't got time to work on came up!!!

Did I mention how much I hate my work?????

I have just GOT to figure a way to get out of this line of work!

thanks

it's been a bit nuts here and it just reminds me of how I just really don't like what I'm doing. I'll survive though. I wish it wasn't so long until my next vacation though....

thanks.... I just think I'm going to have to figure a way to leave the profession (accounting)

If I'm honest with myself, I've never really liked it. Now, I've grown into managerial positions and I'd never come close to the same income if I changed careers. This will take careful thought.

My daughter was kind enough to pass on some stomach ailment to me. Last night it started. Stomach flip flopping, feels like I swallowed a cell phone which is set on vibrate!

She has been battling it for a couple days.

(maybe that's why I've been so cranky lately)

still going to the gym at lunch though!

the workplace stress might just help me work out harder

(might even work the bag!!!)

you know what's really scary? stomach is off but I'm still thinking about burritos!!!

I've always had a legendary appetite. When I was about 25, I had to have my appendix removed. I had a sandwich on the way to the hospital (apparently that's a no no when you're on your way for surgery)

Then at the hospital before surgery I think I messed up quite a few interns because one of the sysmptoms is that you feel nauseous and not at all hungry. I was hungry all the time. The doctor was explaining to them that "sometimes people say they are hungry but if you put food in front of them...." and I was saying "bring it on!!! "

Still eat a fair bit but I have to watch my intake now or I really pack on weight.

Those were fun days though.... sighhhh