Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup - Pittsburgh's Coolest Vegans!

michaelhobson

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff! If I was a Yinzer, I'd definitely love to be hanging out with you, Tiffaney & yr kids!

We're a wacky bunch - but that only adds to our charm! Our first meet-up is tonight (though we've met a handful of these individuals in the past)! Yummy indian food here we come!

Where is your wife from in the Pittsburgh area? Have you lived here together?

how was this? i had to get a toenail removed and was too grumpy to hang out with anyone.

It was nice! We met a new couple and caught up with otheractive pgh_vegans. Even my sleepy little girl was well behaved and happy. The establishment reserved a seating area for us and the food was tasty. This was my first time ever going out for Indian food (other than Sree's that is) so I can't really compare. I am/was concerned about the language barrier, though. I'm not sure our waiter even had the slightest clue what we were saying, let alone what "vegan" meant. We're thinking of going to dinner again on December 15th - interested? Abay (Ethiopian), Hunan Kitchen (Chinese) or The Quiet Storm with BYOD (bring your own dessert). Preference?

i would prefer not to go to Abay. not my cup of tea and i believe we would all end up eating the same thing there. Hunan is my #1 most favorite in pgh so i'm all about going there. Orchid just opened near me, but it would be a repeat since they are a 98% Indian food establishment. it is 100% vegetarian though as is Udipi. not many choices left after that

i would prefer not to go to Abay. not my cup of tea and i believe we would all end up eating the same thing there. Hunan is my #1 most favorite in pgh so i'm all about going there. Orchid just opened near me, but it would be a repeat since they are a 98% Indian food establishment. it is 100% vegetarian though as is Udipi. not many choices left after that

Okay, we decided you rule on this one. Hunan Kitchen it is, Friday December 15th at 7pm. Be there or be square.

glad you see things my way michael

You rule Wannalift. What more can I say?

Anyway, our Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup is really taking off. We have 25 members in our first two weeks! We had 10 show up for our first meetup and 20 commited for our second meetup Dec 15th!!!

Our picture is now showing up on Meetup.com any time someone clicks on nationwide meetup groups. We have more new members and more people attending our events than most groups in the country.

Sure, there are groups like New York City Vegan Meetup with 765 members, but more people are actually showing up for our events. I'm so curious to see how many members we end up with over our next couple of months. New Year's Eve at our house anyone? Check out our group at http://vegan.meetup.com/399/

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! Looks like a good time. I'll get photos up from our Maryland meet-up soon too. I'm trying to point a few vegans from your area to your meetup group as well so hopefully it will continue to get new members and grow. Thanks for your work putting it together.

As you know Rob, it's worth the effort. I think it is very important for vegans to get together. It reinforces our values, reminds us why we are vegan and helps us stay vegan in a non-vegan world. It's especially nice for new vegans to meet some old-timers, it's really encouraging to them. We also get vegetarians who get a chance to see how easy and tasty it is to be vegan. All that and we get an excuse to eat absurd amounts of vegan goodies!

Thanks for pointing people our way. We of course do the same for vegan bodybuilding. I don't think anyone we know is an active poster, but they browse sometimes, even if it is just to see Alex in his underwear.

if either of you two come to the burgh, i will whip up a special outfit just for yinz. one part american flag pants, two parts sleveless shirt, one part aviator shades, and a bandana with lightning bolts on it. welcome to pittsburgh

Haha, awesome. I am planning on going for New Year's.