Kramer....

_raVen_

Have you read his apology? It's on youtube and stuff. He seems really bust up about it, I don't know what to make of it because when I saw the original footage of him mouthing off and stuff, he looked like such an idiot, and it seemed 100% real, and not a joke at all. So I dunno what to say about it

I believe in being emphathetic, compassionate and forgiving. One would think most other vegans would be the same but I've found sadly that that's often not the case.

I personally have never used the word 'nigger' to describe anyone. But then my parents never ever used the word either, nor did anyone I hung out with. Through marriage I now have some relatives though who do talk like that. If I grew up around such people I'm sure the word would be a part of my vocabulary.

Have you ever heard the term 'niggerrig'? In the last few years I've been around someone now who uses such a phrase for describing using duct tape or whatever to repair something. And now in trying to describe fixing something the other day I found the word coming to mind the other day.

I still find Richards behavior just bizarre. But I try to be compassionate and I think people can be forgiven for far worse than what Richards did.

It may be hard to find him funny though in the future.

I think that if the guy had been on shows later and had said stuff like 'I don't see what the big deal is' etc, then I would definitely not forgive him. But also, yeah I think it has to be put in perspective, there is worse behaviour than this certainly, but it's still pretty bad. My reaction to him will depend on what he does now I guess. But he looked pretty worn down in his apology, it wouldn't surprise me if he is a no-show for a while.

i didn't know anything about this until now! that's what happens when you work the late shift, don't see any news.

man, that kramer really had a meltdown. he just snapped and completely lost it. if your a standup comedian, you are still supposed to be professional. you are to expect hecklers, and have a snappy comeback to get the crowd and the heckler laughing. this was just a disaster. it wasn't a joke, it wasn't funny, it was just hurtful. but even if he snapped and lost control, which he clearly did, i think there must have been some prejudice buried deep inside for him to say those things. the incident brought out an ugly side of him that we have never seen or expected from him. that is why it is so shocking. who would have thought that someone who made us laugh all these years had this horrible racist side to him.

the national lampoon was actually pretty good. i liked the way they spliced all the old scenes together to make it about this disaster. it actually managed to inject some humor into all this ugliness... something richards wasn't able to do.

1. He would show remorse because he's trying to save his career.

2. Difficult to say how genuine he is cecause he's an actor.

3. Bottom line is that he said what he said. It was said in anger. There were a lot of other things he could have said.

I'm very disappointed in him.

If your a standup comedian, you are still supposed to be professional. you are to expect hecklers, and have a snappy comeback to get the crowd and the heckler laughing. this was just a disaster. it wasn't a joke, it wasn't funny, it was just hurtful. but even if he snapped and lost control, which he clearly did, i think there must have been some prejudice buried deep inside for him to say those things.

I agree.

Comedians often have to deal with hecklers, and cut them down to size with a well-place, humorous comment, not a racist rant that doesn't target the heckler, but denigrates an entire race.

What he said (especially the part about in the past, they would be hanging from a tree with a fork stuck in them!) was just hateful.

Wouldn't you know it, Mel Gibson is standing up for him.

My response to word usage is the same for this as it is for this (homophobic words) -- the use of any racist, sexist, or homophobic "joke." There is no excusing it, in my opinion, and there is no accepting it as "okay." Like I wrote in the thread above: "Words as weapons..."

Making the words okay to use is the wrong thing to do. I'm glad that many Black performers are finally coming to realize that using words like the "n-word" is part of the problem; that it's not okay simply because they are Black -- same with any other group which is discriminated against -- various ethnicities, women, homosexuals, animals, etc. Such language should be rendered undesirable in our collective consciouness, especially as vegans, we should know this. Verbal violence is part of the whole.

JayI understand the forgiveness part; but I don't really think that is the entirety of the issue.

Mel Gibson should keep his mouth shut. I do think his situation is a bit different from this, but, obviously, any such language is unacceptable.

yeah i think richards should steer clear of mel gibson. having another guy with a racist scandal stand up for you is not gonna help any.

on the other hand, having a black friend stand up for you is another story. i heard about paul mooney saying he was gonna give up using the n-word. he said seeing that whole debacle opened his eyes to the use of the word. he also said he has been a friend of richards for a long time, and doesn't believe he is racist. he said that richards should be given a second chance. here is the interview so you can read for yourself.

yeah i think richards should steer clear of mel gibson. having another guy with a racist scandal stand up for you is not gonna help any.

on the other hand, having a black friend stand up for you is another story. i heard about paul mooney saying he was gonna give up using the n-word. he said seeing that whole debacle opened his eyes to the use of the word. he also said he has been a friend of richards for a long time, and doesn't believe he is racist. he said that richards should be given a second chance. here is the interview so you can read for yourself.

Mooney says:

Mooney: Believe me, it will get just as big a laugh. Oh yeah, honey, it's a new Mooney. And another thing — I will not be using the b-word (to refer to women) anymore either.

AP: Oh?

Mooney: I'll say 'heifer' instead.

Why bring the cows into it? Lovely. So, now baby/female cows who have yet to give birth are going to be used in a derogatory way to describe women?

I'm not even sure if I'm seriously upset by this or just mock upset.

Edited by veganmadre