Raw Question for EatRaw

veganmadre

Could I be so bold as to inquire about the costs associated with eating raw? I've always been under the impression that raw would cost me a fortune and I know people argue that it's simplistic eating, but, I can see that you eat raw like I'd eat raw - fancy, artistic and guilty yet healthy! Yum! Your recipes look fantanstic! Even if the "expense" question is too rude - could you give me an idea of exactly "how much" and "of what" you generally eat each day?

Hi Veganmadre,

Your question is not rude at all and I wish I had an answer for you. I actually don’t even keep track. Food is the one thing we splurge on and don’t worry about the cost. We buy organic when it’s available and we eat out at our favorite raw restaurant whenever we feel like it. Healthy food seems like one of the best things we can spend our money on, so we do and try not to feel guilty about it.

I would try to estimate the cost for you but it changes all the time. For example, in the summertime, we ate 99% fruit. Now that it is colder, we have been having mostly veggies, nuts and some dehydrated raw dishes. I would imagine our bill is higher now than in the summer because of the nuts and other ingredients we need for the dehydrated dishes.

Our diet totally varies from day to day. We just eat what our body craves and that changes with what is in season. Some days I feel like a bottomless pit and other days I am not as hungry. We do eat what we want, when we want and as much as we want, as long as it is raw. This has been a great approach for us because we never feel deprived. We just don’t stress about it right now. We have only been raw for 7 months and this is what is working for us currently.

Yesterday, I had a bunch of fresh squeezed OJ, a couple of raw “Cinnamon Poptarts” a salad, and a bunch of “Taquitos” which I will post the recipe for soon. My fiancé had fresh squeezed OJ, a huge salad with raw dressing, dried mangos and “Stuffed Peppers with Chili Sauce.” Today, I am planning on trying a new recipe for garlic bread. I will probably eat that with some OJ (not at the same time though ) and we are picking up dinner from our favorite raw restaurant later. Not sure yet what else I will eat. It depends on how the garlic bread turns out. If it is good, I will post the recipe.

Sorry that I don’t have more specific answers for you but I hope it was a little helpful.

I can see that you eat raw like I'd eat raw - fancy, artistic and guilty yet healthy! Yum! Your recipes look fantanstic!

Thank you!! The food is so much fun to make too!

I know this was directed at EatRaw, but....

When I was doing it, it came to $200-$300 weekly. This can be reduced greatly by choosing recipes which need cheaper ingredients. I bought organic wine, nuts, dates, avacados, etc. , plus lamost everything I bought was organic.

To go cheaper, buy on sale and in season. Mono eating is generally cheaper or recipes with few ingredients. Non-organic is cheaper then organic and you can shop sales. Sometimes I would buy non-organic items which I wouldn't eat the peels (oranges, grapefruit,avacado) and organic when I would eat the entire fruit/veg (lettuce, apples, etc).

I never got into dehydrating and I don't like smoothies. EatRaw can prob add more. Also check out some of the raw forums, there are many recipes to choose from.

Thank you for such a detailed response! I anxiously await your recipes! Food is a splurge, luxury item for both Michael and I as well so, I do understand not keeping track. Wish I was near Berkeley (is that where you are going tonight?)! Thanks again!

It's nice to know we aren't the only ones who splurge on healthy food.

Besides the cost, one of the complaints I hear is the amount of time it takes to prepare raw meals.

I know for the newbie this would be true but does it get easier?

Depends on the recipe. You can make some ahead if you want such as dips or dressings. It's nice especially in the begining to have something really easy to grab (I used to have pre-cut veggies and dips ready). Most recipes are quicker to make then cooked recipes. Appliances make life easier, I recommend a blender and food processor to cut down on the cutting.

Easy peasy recipes -spaghetti marinara, stuffed portebellas, stir (non) fry

I have gotton so I prefer mono eating or super simple salads. But I wasn't there in the begining.

* I should re-iterate here, I'm am NOT 100% raw. I drink hot coffee and also consume protein shakes. The rest of my meals are primarily raw. This is how I feel best and continue to make gains. Others do fantastic on 100%. Just not me....for now.

Besides the cost, one of the complaints I hear is the amount of time it takes to prepare raw meals.

I know for the newbie this would be true but does it get easier?

Depends on the recipe. You can make some ahead if you want such as dips or dressings. It's nice especially in the beginning to have something really easy to grab (I used to have pre-cut veggies and dips ready). Most recipes are quicker to make then cooked recipes. Appliances make life easier, I recommend a blender and food processor to cut down on the cutting.

I agree with SeaSiren. A food processor and a blender are a must for convenience. I would say that I spend around the same amount of time in the kitchen as anyone who is preparing their own food, whether it is raw food, cooked vegan food or SAD food. I like to prepare food in advance and in bulk. I just double or triple a recipe so we have it ready for a couple days. This makes it a lot easier and less time consuming.

:shock:

When I was doing it, it came to $200-$300 weekly.

That sounds about right for raw. I remember Tonya Kay saying in the vegan fitness video that she "only" spends about $10 per day on food. Well, our family of five often eats for less than $10 per day. We typically spend less than $100 per week on food.

We could spend a little more, we do splurge on little things like wine, eating out and of course toys. I don't see us affording all raw though. Actually we have been spending less on all of the above lately and adding more fresh veggies and fruit to our meals. I think for us a happy medium will be somewhere in the middle of raw and cooked.

:shock:

When I was doing it, it came to $200-$300 weekly.

That sounds about right for raw. I remember Tonya Kay saying in the vegan fitness video that she "only" spends about $10 per day on food. Well, our family of five often eats for less than $10 per day. We typically spend less than $100 per week on food.

We could spend a little more, we do splurge on little things like wine, eating out and of course toys. I don't see us affording all raw though. Actually we have been spending less on all of the above lately and adding more fresh veggies and fruit to our meals. I think for us a happy medium will be somewhere in the middle of raw and cooked.

Tonya has also said on her site that she eats a LOT of calories a day, and she eats all organic.

I am 100% raw and single. I do eat a lot of food per day and eat organic as much as possible. I spend about $100 per week on food and sometimes more. I eat really simple, i.e. no gourmet recipes or dehydrated foods.

I think it is so much easier than cooked because there is always fruit. It is portable, cheap and requires no prep time. I think raw in general really requires a lot less prep time and virtually no clean up time.

• 2 weeks later...

I am lucky to find organic fruit stands here. Also some local organic fruits and veggies at the farmers market. It is hot here and I find tropical fruits when others are not in season. I spend about 50 dollars.

I am also lucky that I have room to grow some veggies in my yard. I love gardening so much.

I hate living in a city for the fact that I cannot save money by growing anything and that our food market is actually more expensive than the grocery store(most of the time)

• 4 weeks later...
I am 100% raw and single. I do eat a lot of food per day and eat organic as much as possible. I spend about $100 per week on food and sometimes more. I eat really simple, i.e. no gourmet recipes or dehydrated foods.

I think it is so much easier than cooked because there is always fruit. It is portable, cheap and requires no prep time. I think raw in general really requires a lot less prep time and virtually no clean up time.

I completely agree.

As a broke raw fooder, I spend almost all of my money on food.

I ALWAYS buy local, organic food, even when I was making minimum wage

It is a necessity, and the most important thing I can spend money on..

Lately, I am definitely eating more mono meals, and have noticed it being cheaper. Over all, I don't find eating raw to be very expensive.

However....

if you're into superfoods(like I am), THAT is were it gets expensive!

Spiralina($20-45 per bottle), Chlorella($16-30 per bottle), Blue green algae($20+ per bottle), Vitamineral Superfood blend($30-50 per bottle), and ALL dried seaweeds are expensive, I've seen some range up to $50.00 per lb., granted you don't need to buy much of this stuff, and it all lasts a lot longer than produce. It is still very expensive.

Also, cold-pressed oils, hemp protein powders, and avocados, are all a bit on the pricey side.

I don't juice veggies or fruits much because it is too expensive for me.

Actually I find it way cheaper just to go to a juice bar or something, which I find rather funny/weird...

However....

Spiralina($20-45 per bottle), Chlorella($16-30 per bottle), Blue green algae($20+ per bottle), Vitamineral Superfood blend($30-50 per bottle), and ALL dried seaweeds are expensive, I've seen some range up to $50.00 per lb., granted you don't need to buy much of this stuff, and it all lasts a lot longer than produce. It is still very expensive.

Are those raw?

However....

Are those raw?

Generally they are(dried, or freeze dried usually),

but of course you want brands and companies

you can trust, (and know are in it to help others & improve your health.)

Check out:

www.superfoods.com

& one of my favorites is..

www.healthforce.com