Staying warm

CollegeB

So its about 6 degrees (f) outside and im tryin to discover the secrets of staying warm in winter. Being from TX i've not been in weather below freezing for long periods of time. I would especially like ways to keep warm while biking. Ive got the layers down, but the pair of gloves I wear seem to do nothing, while biking. Also my feet and hands are cold while in my apt, despite actually having my heater on. So how to stay warm at home and biking when its really cold outside. Of course this isnt cold to some of you... I now have much empathy for the food in my refrigerator since its colder in most of my apt than in the fridge. Heater is only running in my bedroom (my choice, the others do work).

We opted for a kerosene heater. It's perfect for keeping us warm and keeping within our budget. Plus, the radiant heat makes a world of difference! If your feet or hands are cold, you can sit nearer - like a fire. It's much more lasting than a vent blowing warm air. We hated the idea of heating our two story house all the while spending most evenings together in the living room. So, we set the therostat for 60 and still feel toasty.

I'm a bit higher northward than you are, and even though I've lived in the Midwest my entire life, I still hate the cold!

I find that at home, it's important to keep my feet warm. If my feet are cold,, the rest of my seems cold as well. I have some microfiber socks that work quite nicely at keeping me warm.

I also need to find some warm, vegan gloves. I have several types of gloves, but they are not that warm, especially the fingertips, when I'm iin really cold weatther.

One key to warmth: LAYERING! Several layers of lighter material are warmer than one layer of a thicker material. Especially if some of the layers are in a waffle weave or something else that traps air and thus body heat.

Also, whenever you are feeling cold, drink something hot, like green tea or herbal tea. Warming up the core in this way seems to help warm up the entire body.

Here in Sisters it's not quite as cold as where you are. Still, I wear shorts! I think that my body makes more heat that way, trying to keep my legs warm! I try to wear them as long as I can throughout the winter, of course there are times when I must resign to putting pants on! I like Defense74's outfit......but with shorts it would be way hot, you know?

In my loft I have one of those electric heaters that looks like a radiator and has oil in it. I keep it set at a low temperature, but it seems to keep my living space at a decent temp. But my space is under 500 square feet, so it's pretty easy to heat.

Hot tea is great, especially with added fresh ginger in the pot! Helps one feel warmer from the inside out.

Stay warm CollegeB!

I've got these great gloves I may need in a week or two...they are made just for cyclist and they're called Trek Lobsters...got them on clearance from Nashbar.com a few months ago...the fingers are split so two fingers and a thumb...give the benefit of mittens but movement of gloves...they'll be much warmer than what I had last year...glove liners are important too.

The lobsters are good for really cold riding. I've been wearing my full light summer gloves under a pair of med thickness ski gloves. That gives me a wicking layer and wind protection.

For feet, I wear wicking socks, and my regular bike shoes with duct tape over the vents. On top of that I wear some neoprene booties. I don't fasten my shoes as tight as normal so that the blood keeps flowing to me toes - circulation is key.

that's why we all wear toques!!!

It was -39 degrees (with windchill) yestrday in Winnipeg.

Then, I would suggest NOT shaving your head as you were recently deliberating! I think your head appreciates whatever hair is there!

You obviously haven't pedaled a bike for three hours in temps twenty degrees. Your feet can get very painful. On really cold days I wear a long pair of cotton socks, regular cycling socks, my neoprene booties and I buckle my shoes down really lightly. Even with that it hurts in the cold...maybe if I wore less I'd feel better since I wouldn't feel my feet at all.

Your feet can get very painful. On really cold days I wear a long pair of cotton socks, regular cycling socks, my neoprene booties and I buckle my shoes down really lightly. Even with that it hurts in the cold...maybe if I wore less I'd feel better since I wouldn't feel my feet at all.

I don't think cotton is helping much. If you replaced those with some polyfleece (thermafleece or something similar) socks, you'd gain some warmth right there.

I bought some socks yesterday that have been working out pretty well, they are a polyblend of cotton and whatever petrolium based fibers they use. I dont have a thermostat, just some baseboard heaters. I think they probably are meant to run most of the winter, but I only turn them on during the day and then sleep in a sleepnig bag at night.

Make sure you have a really warm hat. I forget the actual number, but a ridiculous amount of heat is lost through the head. I've worn shorts and a T-Shirt outside in the winter (providing I'm not walking through large piles of snow), but I've always had my hat on.

Growing hair and a beard is always good too, I'm doing that this year.

Some of those new synthetics are really warm and I do wear them but when its really cold for an extended period of time I run out of clean things to layer with so its gotta be cotton and synthetics.