serial killer

Richard

People living in the UK will already know about this, but in Ipswich there has been 5 murders recently, and police now assume they are all connected, and committed by the same person(s). Ipswich is only an hour away from me, this kind of stuff really wakes me up. But just like so many bad things that happen, you're powerless to try to stop it. I hope they catch the criminal(s) soon.

Well, I mean theoretically I'm not powerless... I could go down there and try to find the killer, but that doesn't seem very practical. I don't know what I can really do right now for the potential next victim - we don't know that there necessarily will be a next victim. This is a job for the police.

Disgusting and very sad that people make jokes about such heinous crimes.

Your lack of empathy is sad.

Silly comment.

I lack no empathy for the victims of these despicable crimes nor for Richard in living in relatively close proximity to where these murders are being committed.

Yes, there is such a thing as black humour, and I can understand why there is a need for it, especially amongst those whose work brings them into direct contact with grim and tragic events such as this. However, there is a time and a place for such things, and therefore I think it is totally inapproriate to make light and joke of extremely recent - and still very much ongoing - events by stupid posts about dressing up as a ninja to catch the perpetrator and taking photo's and other such nonsense.

Disgusting and very sad that people make jokes about such heinous crimes.

Your lack of empathy is sad.

Silly comment.

I lack no empathy for the victims of these despicable crimes nor for Richard in living in relatively close proximity to where these murders are being committed.

Yes, there is such a thing as black humour, and I can understand why there is a need for it, especially amongst those whose work brings them into direct contact with grim and tragic events such as this. However, there is a time and a place for such things, and therefore I think it is totally inapproriate to make light and joke of extremely recent - and still very much ongoing - events by stupid posts about dressing up as a ninja to catch the perpetrator and taking photo's and other such nonsense.

I didn't think it quite the right way to talk about it either but the way you rebuked Odidnetne was lacking in empathy. Really not the right way to go about it at all. You could instead have said that although you understand nothing offensive was meant, this wasn't really the appropriate time to be making jokes about ninjas.

Well, I tell it how you like people to tell it according to your signature, 'what I really think'. I did really think that it was ing and sad - offensive too - so I said as much.

As for 'going about things the right way' with regard to forum etiquette and exchanges, well you of all people shouldn't be telling anybody how to conduct themselves on forums going by your past history.

Well, I tell it how you like people to tell it according to your signature, 'what I really think'. I did really think that it was ing and sad - offensive too - so I said as much.

As for 'going about things the right way' with regard to forum etiquette and exchanges, well you of all people shouldn't be telling anybody how to conduct themselves on forums going by your past history.

Very true Tarz.

In fact, I've noticed an escalation of such conduct in the last month or so.

I myself experienced it while trying to debate vegan pet food for goodness sakes.

You bring up some excellent points. I have also wondered about how we as compassionate, caring individuals can be so harsh to one another.

Can't disagreements be communicated with respect and understanding?

....or is there a full moon out??

Yyyyeah I was a little surprised at how this topic was responded to. I made the topic because I've been feeling a bit freaked out about it given my proximity to it, this kind of thing is unprecedented around these parts. I don't think I've said anything which was making light of the subject, I really do wish I could go get this guy, it frustrates me to think that this guy is just walking about the place plotting his next kill.

First off Tarz, it is nice to see you back.

Secondly, I am sorry that you took any sort of offense to what was said, I really didn't mean anything. Richard does seem shaken up, and does often joke about his "ninja skills", and so I just thought he'd like a little laugh. I'm sorry if I offended you, 100% not my intention.

it frustrates me to think that this guy is just walking about the place plotting his next kill.

Serial killers don't usually plan their murders, they usually fantasize until they get themselves into a frenzy and when they see a person who fits their criteria, take the opportunity when it presents itself.

Not to be an alarmist, but according to this guy's websitethere are a currently number of serial killers working in North America and about 4 loose in the UK. I hope he's not right.

JW wrote:

Very true Tarz.

I myself experienced it while trying to debate vegan pet food for goodness sakes.

You bring up some excellent points. I have also wondered about how we as compassionate, caring individuals can be so harsh to one another.

....or is there a full moon out?? Wink

I empathize with Richard and the families and friends of people attacked.

In respect to the noticeable escalation of insensitive conduct in this forum, I, too, have noticed it and have said as much on a couple of threads thus far. Yes, it is often challenging to "get along" with others, but in my naive way, what surprized me was the lack of compassion and mindfulness from a few individuals on a site dedicated to animal rights, which is based, I believe on compassion for life.

As Mr. Spock used to say, "Fascinating."

Perhaps there is a certain sense of empowerment that comes from using language that historically has a shocking value? But what of thinking before speaking or writing? As compassionate earthlings, would it not be good to think about the effect our use of words or speach might have on others? To honor all life?

Or am I just displaying an antique attitude that belongs in a museum?

Please, let us all be mindful of others for the betterment of all.

First off Tarz, it is nice to see you back.

Secondly, I am sorry that you took any sort of offense to what was said, I really didn't mean anything. Richard does seem shaken up, and does often joke about his "ninja skills", and so I just thought he'd like a little laugh. I'm sorry if I offended you, 100% not my intention.

Hey - I didn't mean anything personal towards you, Richard or Loveliberate. Maybe my initial post was a little bit blunt as well....

Yeah, I know Richard's alter-ego 'The Ninja' is a forum in-joke, and none of you were being serious, I just felt the events are too fresh - too raw - at the moment to treat in this manner.

I understand your frustration Richard, we just have to faith in the skills of the police and other experts and hope the killer(s) are apprehended as soon as possible. In terms of things you can do, maybe a small Xmas donation to a charity or support group that helps street workers break free from the vicious circle of hard drugs and prostitution would be a nice gesture?

Heya Tarz,

I'm also happy to see ya posting again & I too apologize to anyone hurt or offended by my attempt at humor.

The main part of my previous post was meant seriously. Relying solely on the cops or anyone else for your personal defense/safety is a very bad idea. I hope the women being targetted for attack take their own precautions. Encountering even just one woman who defends herself has the potential to stop the guy from attacking anyone else.

While I'm all for sensitivity, I also don't believe in forced niceity. As vegans, we're adamant about being direct and straightforward when our vegan beliefs are challenged. We've spent many a thread discussing "tart" and "sassy" responses to omnivores and fur-wearers. Why must we be gentle and tacit when our beliefs are challenged among vegans?

I'm saddened that the board seems to have a very PC attitude. While I certainly don't condone name-calling or degradation, I don't feel as though we should have to constantly review and censor our thoughts. Regardless of opinions and wording, I have a respect for everyone on this board and appreciate the free flow of ideas and values.

JW wrote:

Very true Tarz.

....or is there a full moon out?? Wink

I empathize with Richard and the families and friends of people attacked.

In respect to the noticeable escalation of insensitive conduct in this forum, I, too, have noticed it and have said as much on a couple of threads thus far. Yes, it is often challenging to "get along" with others, but in my naive way, what surprized me was the lack of compassion and mindfulness from a few individuals on a site dedicated to animal rights, which is based, I believe on compassion for life.

As Mr. Spock used to say, "Fascinating."

Perhaps there is a certain sense of empowerment that comes from using language that historically has a shocking value? But what of thinking before speaking or writing? As compassionate earthlings, would it not be good to think about the effect our use of words or speach might have on others? To honor all life?

Or am I just displaying an antique attitude that belongs in a museum?

Please, let us all be mindful of others for the betterment of all.

I'm not much for "i'm okay your're okay" communication. Perhaps the hair is deceiving, I'm not a very good hippie in that way. I do in fact treat others as I would like to be treated. What is an "escalation of such conduct"? If you have a problem with someone or some thing, state it and deal with it. What is wrong with direct communication? Are we all really that fragile? On most animal rights oriented boards, the pro-meat dog food folks would have been flamed off the board in a matter of hours. It's a pity that JW and Jonzen both refuse to debate actual issues, but instead slip in snide comments in unrelated threads. How is that for straightforward?

Richard, I do sympathize with your situation. I am from Richmond, Virginia, also known as the Murder Capital of the South. As awful as the serial killer thing is, it is equally awful knowing that being randomly shot is not unlikely in your city. In just a couple of years there were several murders within one block of my house, two drive by and one someone ran in the house and shot everyone inside. My family enjoys walking together, especially in the evenings. Pittsburgh is much more comfortable for that, our neighborhood is alive with people in the evening and the streets are pretty savf.

Edited by michaelhobson