serial killer

Richard

Yeah, I mean I still feel safe, but it's strange to think that this kind of thing can happen around here. I kind of know that it can and does, so part of me isn't surprised. But on the other hand, it is the first time in my life time that this has happened locally, and it just makes you think more about this kind of crime and the type of people who do it. Additionally, I mean I see animal cruelty and war, killing all in the same kind of way, so it's just more of the same really. I don't know what I think about it, just that it sucks.

Heya Tarz,

I'm also happy to see ya posting again & I too apologize to anyone hurt or offended by my attempt at humor.

The main part of my previous post was meant seriously. Relying solely on the cops or anyone else for your personal defense/safety is a very bad idea. I hope the women being targetted for attack take their own precautions. Encountering even just one woman who defends herself has the potential to stop the guy from attacking anyone else.

Sorry, I should of clarified - yes, I realise your point about ultimately being responsible's for oneself's safety was serious - and a valid and well made point too.

There was a feature on the evening news here how attendance at self-defence classes in Ipswich has soared, unsurprisingly given recent occurances. So you are right - the women can take measures to increase their own safety. However, I doubt if few - or any - prostitutes were at these classes. Of course it can only be a good thing though that the general female populace in the area are taking precautions, as one of the police's fears is that the killer will start acting more indiscriminately and target non-prostitues. That those females have greater knowledge and awareness of personal protection generally - if the killer is hopefully brought to justice - is no bad thing either.

I'm always interested to read your posts about self-defense, personal safety and firerams training. In what seems to me to be an ever more violent world - at least my perception of whats been happening on the streets of the UK in recent years - I value your perspective on personal protection.

While I'm all for sensitivity, I also don't believe in forced niceity. As vegans, we're adamant about being direct and straightforward when our vegan beliefs are challenged. We've spent many a thread discussing "tart" and "sassy" responses to omnivores and fur-wearers. Why must we be gentle and tacit when our beliefs are challenged among vegans?

I'm saddened that the board seems to have a very PC attitude. While I certainly don't condone name-calling or degradation, I don't feel as though we should have to constantly review and censor our thoughts. Regardless of opinions and wording, I have a respect for everyone on this board and appreciate the free flow of ideas and values.

I really wasn't trying to be offensive though. If I was I probably would have gotten lost for a little while to "cool off" on other sites or something.

I agree that we shouldn't have to censor ourselves. However, this is text we're dealing with, and the actual line of "joking" and "offensive" can't always be figured out with just smilies and emoticons.

JW wrote:

Very true Tarz.

In fact, I've noticed an escalation of such conduct in the last month or so.

I myself experienced it while trying to debate vegan pet food for goodness sakes.

You bring up some excellent points. I have also wondered about how we as compassionate, caring individuals can be so harsh to one another.

Can't disagreements be communicated with respect and understanding?

....or is there a full moon out?? Wink

I empathize with Richard and the fam

ilies and friends of people attacked.

In respect to the noticeable escalation of insensitive conduct in this forum, I, too, have noticed it and have said as much on a couple of threads thus far. Yes, it is often challenging to "get along" with others, but in my naive way, what surprized me was the lack of compassion and mindfulness from a few individuals on a site dedicated to animal rights, which is based, I believe on compassion for life.

As Mr. Spock used to say, "Fascinating."

Perhaps there is a certain sense of empowerment that comes from using language that historically has a shocking value? But what of thinking before speaking or writing? As compassionate earthlings, would it not be good to think about the effect our use of words or speach might have on others? To honor all life?

Or am I just displaying an antique attitude that belongs in a museum?

Please, let us all be mindful of others for the betterment of all.

I'm not much for "i'm okay your're okay" communication. Perhaps the hair is deceiving, I'm not a very good hippie in that way. I do in fact treat others as I would like to be treated. What is an "escalation of such conduct"? If you have a problem with someone or some thing, state it and deal with it. What is wrong with direct communication? Are we all really that fragile? On most animal rights oriented boards, the pro-meat dog food folks would have been flamed off the board in a matter of hours. It's a pity that JW and Jonzen both refuse to debate actual issues, but instead slip in snide comments in unrelated threads. How is that for straightforward?

Richard, I do sympathize with your situation. I am from Richmond, Virginia, also known as the Murder Capital of the South. As awful as the serial killer thing is, it is equally awful knowing that being randomly shot is not unlikely in your city. In just a couple of years there were several murders within one block of my house, two drive by and one someone ran in the house and shot everyone inside. My family enjoys walking together, especially in the evenings. Pittsburgh is much more comfortable for that, our neighborhood is alive with people in the evening and the streets are pretty savf.

Oh michaelhobson.......

It is very difficult to debate with one who is so narrowly focused in thought. (that's not an insult, only an observation from reading your posts)

I don't understand why you insist upon being so aggressive

If you were truly as compassionate as you claim to be you would perhaps respond in a more respectful manner to those in this forum.

anger is not the way to solve anything.

anger will not sway one's opinion.

anger is not the way of a respectful & compassionate person.

I certainly respect your opinions but I prefer not engaging in discussion with those who are not respectful or civil.

Well, I tell it how you like people to tell it according to your signature, 'what I really think'. I did really think that it was ing and sad - offensive too - so I said as much.

Well the problem isn't that you said it, it's that you thought it. That you said it is good because now we can at least try help you quit thinking such unemphathetic thoughts.

As for 'going about things the right way' with regard to forum etiquette and exchanges, well you of all people shouldn't be telling anybody how to conduct themselves on forums going by your past history.

Again I can't recall claiming to be perfect myself. And also I apologized a good year ago about that yet you think it's fine to keep bringing it up. This shows a overwhelming inability on your part to forgive and emphathize.

Oh michaelhobson.......

It is very difficult to debate with one who is so narrowly focused in thought. (that's not an insult, only an observation from reading your posts)

If you were truly as compassionate as you claim to be you would perhaps respond in a more respectful manner to those in this forum.

I certainly respect your opinions but I prefer not engaging in discussion with those who are not respectful or civil.

I don't know what is between you two but I've never found Michael combative or uncompassionate or angry....Well maybe I missed it, most of us have our moments.

I did find it pretty strange that you quoted Tarz and then said stuff that seemed highly irrelevant to what you quoted of Tarz. Actually you seemed to commend Tarz for behavior that he is one the least likely to ever show. I wondered if it was sarcasm?

Well I still love you all anyway, as long as you're at least honest and trying to improve.

Oh michaelhobson.......

JW, what is most apparent here is an extreme cultural difference. I am not, was not ever angry. While not perfect, I am pretty consistenly respectful and civil, although perhaps not by your standards. That is what I mean by cultural difference. I am from poor/working class white people, have spent much of my life around poor urban blacks, punks, skinheads, hippies and rural cult members. Our standards of language and communication, level of direct confrontation tolerance etc. are very different. I don't know you at all, but I'm assuming your background is different?

The thing about this board that bridges our extreme cultural differences, and the many other differences that exist between all of our other board members, is veganism. This is a haven of sorts for vegans not to have to defend themselves and their ideals. When anti-vegan topics such as buying meat for dogs and children are presented, the cultural communication differences surface instantly. I will tend to focus narrowly on anti-vegan issues presented on this board. When it comes to veganism, I see little or no grey area.

I don't know what is between you two but I've never found Michael combative or uncompassionate or angry....Well maybe I missed it, most of us have our moments.

Thanks for you support Jay. I also am not perfect and do have my moments like anyone. I'm not really convinced this is one of them, but who knows.

I seriously think we should just end this thread.

Well Ed, all day I tried to take you up on this, it's not a bad idea. But, in the end I just couldn't help myself. Pretending issues don't exist doesn't really solve the problem. I think realizing the dramatically different world views we all have is important, it helps to remind us that the veganism is the single uniting factor we all share.

On that note, a final thought. To me compassion does not equal pacifism. I am not and do not wish to be a pacifist.

I seriously think we should just end this thread.

Well Ed, all day I tried to take you up on this, it's not a bad idea. But, in the end I just couldn't help myself. Pretending issues don't exist doesn't really solve the problem. I think realizing the dramatically different world views we all have is important, it helps to remind us that the veganism is the single uniting factor we all share.

On that note, a final thought. To me compassion does not equal pacifism. I am not and do not wish to be a pacifist.

It's not even the anger/different point of views or anything, this just got really off topic. You shouldn't have to take up things I say though, as far as I'm concerned, I wasn't even really involved...well, not at least for a good 2 pages or so.

It's not even the anger/different point of views or anything, this just got really off topic. You shouldn't have to take up things I say though, as far as I'm concerned, I wasn't even really involved...well, not at least for a good 2 pages or so.

No worries mate, you are right about the off topic etc. I didn't feel I had to take up something you said. Mostly I just appreciate your opinions and wanted to acknowledge that.

No worries mate, you are right about the off topic etc. I didn't feel I had to take up something you said. Mostly I just appreciate your opinions and wanted to acknowledge that.

Awesome.

Well, I tell it how you like people to tell it according to your signature, 'what I really think'. I did really think that it was ing and sad - offensive too - so I said as much.

Well the problem isn't that you said it, it's that you thought it. That you said it is good because now we can at least try help you quit thinking such unemphathetic thoughts.

There is no problem in that I thought it was not really the right moment to make jest of spree killings.

Thanks all the same, but I certainly do not seek or need your help in changing my thoughts.

Oh michaelhobson.......

JW, what is most apparent here is an extreme cultural difference. I am not, was not ever angry. While not perfect, I am pretty consistenly respectful and civil, although perhaps not by your standards. That is what I mean by cultural difference. I am from poor/working class white people, have spent much of my life around poor urban blacks, punks, skinheads, hippies and rural cult members. Our standards of language and communication, level of direct confrontation tolerance etc. are very different. I don't know you at all, but I'm assuming your background is different?

The thing about this board that bridges our extreme cultural differences, and the many other differences that exist between all of our other board members, is veganism. This is a haven of sorts for vegans not to have to defend themselves and their ideals. When anti-vegan topics such as buying meat for dogs and children are presented, the cultural communication differences surface instantly. I will tend to focus narrowly on anti-vegan issues presented on this board. When it comes to veganism, I see little or no grey area.

Quite honestly, this is where it all started.

I found the response to be very disrespectful and overly aggressive.

My intent was to stimulate some discussion not to cause arguments and insults.

I agree that we have differences. I find confrontation like this to be extremely disrespectful to the other party. I have always preferred to discuss things in a civil manner and treat people the way I would like to be treated. Being confronted in a disrespectful and aggressive manner makes me feel quite uncomfortable and I am not alone in this way.

I know of one member who has essentially left the forum due to the confrontational mode of communication. That is a shame.

All that being said, I am quite frankly over this issue and am moving on.

Thank you for explaining your background and thoughts. I truly harbour no ill feelings towards you. I'm just glad the differences have been recognized and acknowledged.

Oh, and Jay..... I love you too man!!

JW wrote:

This is a very interesting topic.

We are vegan or vegetarian by choice.

Are we giving our pets that choice?

If you laid down a plate of meat beside a plate of vegan food which would your pet choose?

michaelhobson wrote:

Wow, I don't think I can count how many times I have heard this one. What other choices are your pets making?? Is it their choice to not piss on the floor? Is it their choice to be locked in the house all day and only go outside with a chain around their neck and only go where you want to go? Is it their choice not to kill and eat the neighborhood cats? Is it their choice to get their balls cut off and never have sex?!? Is it their choice to never reproduce? I find this argument from vegans intolerable!

I haven't heard any updates on it, but I have heard updates on the Ipswitch serial killer. They said he strangled his victims with his bare hands (really not good as he's ready any time anywhere. ). Interpol has gotten involved as, they are not certain, but think he may have left the country.

Did they say why he was picked up ? I hope they've caught him.

Well he pretty much implicated himself in this interview:

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/news/tm_headline=ripper-hunt%2D-the-suspect%26method=full%26objectid=18275623%26siteid=62484-name_page.html

Already interviewed four times previously, so was a person 'of interest' to the police.

He also lives very, very close to where a murdered student was found a few years back.....

Thanks for the link Tarz. His story does sound a little ... odd and he is obviously feeling guilty about something. He has also kind of inveigled himself into the investigation (which I'm sure you know that most criminals do to find out how the investigation is going). Personally I can't imagine him gaining the complete trust of 5 women that probably saw him as a client, but there's no proof so far that he's lying (at least in the interview). But if he cared about them, it could certainly give him a switch point if he found out she just wanted his money.

One thing though, serial killers usually take "trophies" and the police obviously didn't find anything incriminating when they searched his home / car or they would have arrested him then. I guess their next step will be to see if his hand span is the same as the strangler's.

Do you guys think he's the perpetrator ?

There's a serial sexual predator around here, with a foot fetish, and police say his behavior is escalating. I hope they catch him soon.