Pullups

Vixen

Weight training most CERTAINLY helps. I've been bottom heavy all my life, due to the majority of exercising in my life being geared towards my legs (I walk on a couple of tree trunks), and I couldn't do a single pull-up for the longest time, now I do them quite well and quite often in the gym.

Like BigBwii said, Lat pull downs (though many different upper back exercises are good), curls (especially hammer curls), and Dips actually are good too (for their work on the back).

I've been working on my pullups for some time now and can do 15 pretty easily. I have a goal of adding 5 every 3 months until I can do about 50 in a row.

People seem to think it's easy for me because I'm 5' 2" and 105 lbs -- they assume I have no mass to lift up or something. I don't really see how someone who's 6' 2" and 205 lbs wouldn't be able to do them as effectively as me. Their body weight is more, but their arms are also proportionately bigger.

I really don't think that weight training will adversely affect your ability to be able to do pullups. You may gain mass, but you will also be gaining (hopefully) bicep and lat muscles.

No matter what you have to start with one or two at a time. It takes time and persistence, nothing less.

I've been working on my pullups for some time now and can do 15 pretty easily. I have a goal of adding 5 every 3 months until I can do about 50 in a row.

People seem to think it's easy for me because I'm 5' 2" and 105 lbs -- they assume I have no mass to lift up or something. I don't really see how someone who's 6' 2" and 205 lbs wouldn't be able to do them as effectively as me. Their body weight is more, but their arms are also proportionately bigger.

I really don't think that weight training will adversely affect your ability to be able to do pullups. You may gain mass, but you will also be gaining (hopefully) bicep and lat muscles.

No matter what you have to start with one or two at a time. It takes time and persistence, nothing less.

The weight training does help though, when you do exercises that synergistically (spelling?) strengthen each other, you get stronger in those areas of the body. My top has always been weak, so I wasn't able to do one pull up until about the age of 18 or 19.

I was never able to do pull-ups/chin-ups (chin ups--with palms facing you--are easier that pull-ups--palms facing away--, because the biceps help more), and in school, when we did the 'bent-arm hang' (what the girls did instead of pull-ups), I could barely hold myself up for a second! But, last summer, I made a goal of getting to 5 chin-ups. I started at 0 and ended up being able to do 1 3/4 (I stopped my challenge because my shoulder was botheriing me, but that's because of an old injury that bugs me when I overdo).

Doing assisted chin-ups is the best way to get there, IMO. You can do assisteds by putting one or both feet on the back of a kitchen chair (weighted down with weight plates so it doesn't move) and using only as much leverage as necessary to help you up, then hold at the top for a couple of counts, and lower yourself down as slowly as you can (work the negative). Do this 2-3 days a week (not on consecutive days) and each time, try to use less assistance.

Another way of doing assisted is to use a resistance band and loop it around the bar and under your knees. The stronger the resitance band, the more help it gives you. I think it was the September issule of Muscle and Fitness Hers that had some info about bands that were specifically made for this purpose. If you're interested,, I can look up the info.

When I got my first real chin-up from dead bottom (no assistance) I was focusing on going to the ceiling, and when I got my chin over the bar, it was like reaching the top of Mt. Everest!

Maybe I'll get back to it this summer (I'll have to clear space around my pull-up tower!).

i started off not being able to do a single pullup, then I started working out, lifting weights, then I was able to do pullups, and kept trying until I could do sets of 9 or 10. Then I stopped... and now I can hardly do any, but I am working my way back up.

The extra weight you will gain through training won't be enough to stop you developing pullup skills. I mean, it would have a more dramatic effect if you did absolutely no bicep or back work, then you'd have the same power but more weight. But if you are training you biceps and back, then you'll get stronger, as well as slightly heavier. Additionally, you'll lose fat too presumably, if you have any to lose. I wouldn't worry, just try it out, if you can't do any pullups, do some easier back exercises, like Big Bwii was suggesting, and gradually get stronger.

Up until 6 months ago I only did 3(2 were back to back but the other was a couple years ealier) in my whole life...I lost a lot of weight and never lifed for nearly a year...then I tried to do one and I did 7.