Body Detox...

BJJVegan

Today i really started to research ways to detox my body. Its easy to cleanse the outside of my body but i think the inside of my body needs cleansing too!

From what ive read its best to start with a colon cleanse. Since without a clean colon ill just have toxins still being reinserted into my body. I would really like everybodys input on this. Im just not sure what the best way would be to do it.

After the colon cleanse i figured id do a fruit juice fast to clean other parts. Im new to all this so id love some help.

Every spring I do a cleanse. It is a colon cleanse, and it uses herbs mostly. Depending on how toxic you are, you will want to go slowly at first. On my first colon cleanse I had headaches that were pretty incapacitating, so I backed off for awhile (one week) and began again. Here I thought I was eating so healthy, but I do remember alot of years not eating healthy, so I must have had alot of stored up toxins that were being released fairly quickly into my bloodstream to give me such headaches. I don't have headaches when I do the cleanses now, but I still do it just to make sure. I still eat processed vegan burgers and other processed food every once in awhile and am sure they have some kind of toxin in them. I also fast once in awhile during the summer when I can have less energy during the fast to keep up with life. I wonder if there is a cleanse for the lungs - sitting behind a school bus the other morning and smelling the fumes , and all the synthetic perfumes that people wear are a bit much sometimes . I just try to spend a week up in the mountains for some fresh air.

Nothing else in nature cleanses and detoxifies the body as well as chlorophyll. The unique properties of the chlorophyll molecule (virtually identical to the hemoglobin molecule) allows for strong binding and chelation of heavy metals, pesticides and other toxins and removes them from the body. This is an ongoing process of course as one is never actually fully de-toxified--we're bombarded daily with environmental toxins.

Since nothing in nature contains a higher level of chlorophyll than chlorella, that's what I'd recommend. It would also be useful to incorporate psyllium and Cascara Sagrada bark. I take a well rounded teaspoon of chlorella powder daily mixed in orange juice.

I've done a few cleanses, with very good results. The one I've used is called the "Master Cleanser" and you can find a book about it by Stanley Burroughs at most health food stores or order online. I recommend it. It involves drinking a lemon juice mixture containing maple syrup and cayenne pepper (sounds horrid, but it's actually kind of tasty) and an occassional cup of herbal tea for a period of time. You also do a salt water flush in the mornings (ok, this part isn't fun... but it works) to flush out the colon.

Longest I've lasted on this fast was 14 days, and the results were fantastic. I was usually energetic for the duration and the cleansing side-effects like headaches, cramps, and such were minimal. I know it was cleaning stuff out, though because the morning salt flush turned up all sorts of bizarre looking bits.

A search just pulled up this forum: http://www.mastercleanser.com/forum/

BJJVegan, please read what Dr. Fuhrman has to say about this. and then make a decision on what you think .

Michael's point about greens is good; but you can -- and should, anyway -- simply eat greens every day, and lots of them. I've harped on green smoothies since my first post in my introduction, and I still hope people will use this easy-easy-easy way to get loads of nutrition everyday into their diets via greens without having to sit down and eat entire bunches of them.

If you happen to have missed any of my posts on them, check out my thread with all the info you need on making them. Scroll down to read my posts; there are pictures too

P.S. Here is a great short write up by Dr. Fuhrman with a Nutrient density chart: Nutrient Density

I think a good way to start detoxing your body is to simply eat a less toxic diet, and let your body take care of itself. You can think of this as a 'relative fast,' as you are eating relatively cleaner than your normal diet. If you are coming from a vegetarian diet, then eating vegan can help start the cleansing process. Next, cut out processed foods, up your green veggie intake. Drink pure water. If that goes smoothly, then adding in some chlorella and eating more raw foods can take it a step farther.

You might want to do a raw diet for a few days (or maybe eat raw until dinner time for a period of time).

There are also products that help with detoxing the organs, in particular the liver.

About twice a year, I like to do a cleanse with Oxypowder, an oxygen-based cleanse (comes in veggie caps). (Sign up for their 'contest" to win free product at www.oxypowder.com and you will at least 'win' a $5-off code). It is a colon cleanser, but once the colon is clean, the oxygen produced by it can penetrate the colon wall and reach other organs. Until I did my first Oxypowder cleanse, I always had a coated tongue (can be a sign of yeast overgrowth) and when I was done with my cleanse, it was pink and clear.

The only disadvantage to it (and many other colon cleansers) is if you take the amount they say, you will have to be close to a bathroom all day, and you won't have a solid BM for the entire time! I find that I prefer doing a lower dose and having a near-normal bathroom experience.

I haven't done it yet, but I plan to do a series of some special saunas (can't remember what kind of light they call it at the moment) that are supposed to be one of the best ways of removing heavy metals from the body (chlorella is supposed to help do that as well, as can miso).