ELITE XC. The new competition to the UFC?

BJJVegan

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=6366

Heres a article on the Elite XC. Honestly from the sound of it, in due time this organization will be blowing the UFC out of the water. It also looks like the fighters would be flocking to this organization, mainly because the pay is so good. David Louiseu is rumored to be getting 170,000 for 3 fights. Dana White better start thinking of how to rework the UFC if he wants any top fighters left.

Looks like they have a few things going for them, experienced promoter, 3 year cable deal with Showtime, and they're flexible about allowing fighters from other organizations. Seems like they're willing to roll with things to get good fights. Oh yeah, and female fighters - it's about time. They've got a lot of ground to make up with fight fans though. Hopefully Mike Goldberg as an announcer won't make it feel too much like pro wrestling (no offence to pro wrestlers, pro wrestling fans or anyone who used to want to be a pro wrestler and lived down the street from a pro wrestling school.)

I've been watching a bunch of the Bodog Fight series online and it was okay. Smaller names. I went to one of their live events here in Vancouver in Sept. to watch my sensei fight (he won in 28 seconds, TKO with a jab, weird fight, pretty anticlimactic). Also I work with one of the Bodog announcers, Paul Lazenby, from time to time. But Bodog is not in same realm as UFC or Elite XC if it lives up to its promise. I don't know, UFC has got so much momentum, and apart from the odd boring fight, has the formula down. A little competition they can't buy out will be good for them, maybe force the UFC to up the ante. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Looks like they have a few things going for them, experienced promoter, 3 year cable deal with Showtime, and they're flexible about allowing fighters from other organizations. Seems like they're willing to roll with things to get good fights. Oh yeah, and female fighters - it's about time. They've got a lot of ground to make up with fight fans though. Hopefully Mike Goldberg as an announcer won't make it feel too much like pro wrestling (no offence to pro wrestlers, pro wrestling fans or anyone who used to want to be a pro wrestler and lived down the street from a pro wrestling school.)

I've been watching a bunch of the Bodog Fight series online and it was okay. Smaller names. I went to one of their live events here in Vancouver in Sept. to watch my sensei fight (he won in 28 seconds, TKO with a jab, weird fight, pretty anticlimactic). Also I work with one of the Bodog announcers, Paul Lazenby, from time to time. But Bodog is not in same realm as UFC or Elite XC if it lives up to its promise. I don't know, UFC has got so much momentum, and apart from the odd boring fight, has the formula down. A little competition they can't buy out will be good for them, maybe force the UFC to up the ante. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I think that we may already be seeing what is the response from the UFC with the crocop, silva and rampage moves. I am sure that dana heard about this from his sources. I dont like that the matches will be on showtime. that leaves them as kind of dark (many people dont have showtime), I think that getting even a low grade network (CW or even a syndication network(syndication networks buy time on old UPN and WB affiliates) may have been better for them ). I do like that some matchs will be streamed from the website. dana know exposure counts.

I too believe that better the competition, or more the competition, the better for the consumer and fighters.

Now the Kelly guy from apprentice is the army guy right

as always thanks to BJJ for a great link

• 1 month later...

did anyone see these fights tonight. i don't have showtime, so i didn't get a chance to see it. but i was following the play by play on sherdog. ended in controversy, as Frank Shamrock was disqualified for illegal knee to the head of a downed opponent. apparently Renzo Gracie had to walk out of the ring with a neckbrace on.

did anyone get to see this first hand?

well if any publicity is good publicity, then this is definitley good for ELITE XC, because it certainly has people talking about it. the message boards i have been on are filled with debates. i didnt see the fight so i find it hard to comment. but the general consensus is that Renzo Gracie was winning that fight. there is no doubt that the knees by Frank Shamrock were illegal, but some people are saying that Renzo acted like he was more hurt than he was, and he just did not want to continue. basically saying he faked it so he could get an easy win. i find that hard to believe. if Renzo was winning the fight already, why would he not want to continue if he was able. plus, i have seen Renzo get his arm broken in a match (by Sakuraba) and still not tap. he still wanted to continue that fight, because he still had another arm. so this is not a guy that takes the easy way out.

well here are the two fighters telling their side of the story.

Frank Shamrock's side

Renzo Gracie's side

if you click on the above links and see and advertisement for a dvd, just scroll down and click on where it says

continue to requested page.