Protein Help...

useyourhead

I have just started lifting 5 days a week with some friends and need some help with reccomdendations of protein powders to go in hand with my work out routine.

I have been vegan for a few years, and I know I am can never be HUGE... but i'd like to get my muscles as large and defined as possible while maintaining a vegan diet.

I've heard that soy is OK, but no so good for building muscle mass. What about hemp protein? I've also heard some good things about buckwheat protein? And can someone tell me about this "vega" product?

-daniel

Welcome to the forums by the way.

Vega is a meal replacement powder, not just protein, though it's one of the defining factors. It's got 5 kinds of high quality plant proteins (hemp, pea, flax, chlorella & rice), and all kinds of other plant superfoods.

As for other protein powders, I'd recommend soy over hemp, but if you're just starting out you shouldn't worry all that much about supplements, and instead try to get whole calories from food.

Good luck.

Yeah, welcome to the forum. I'm not a bodybuilder but I do spend plenty time working out. Vega is my powder of choice, but I mostly just eat tons of fruit and veggies. I don't ever really worry about protein on its own, I just try to get enough calories. I also eat hemp protein, in powder form, hulled seeds and hemp nut butter, but not in huge quantities.

Here's the link to the Vega website:

http://www.myvega.com/

Hello Daniel & Welcome to the forum!

A post in the "Introductions" section where ya told us more about yourself - where yr from, yr interests, what go ya into veganism, bodybuilding &/or fitness, etc - sure would be swell!

So what do ya define as "HUGE"? Are ya saying that ya believe a vegan diet is a limiting factor when getting your muscles "as large and defined as possible"?

I have not heard this before: "soy is OK, but no so good for building muscle mass"... It's well worth keeping in mind that protein is only one part of what's needed for building muscles & too much protein can be detrimental to good health. There are many great vegan sources of protein - it's present in almost all whole foods - and many folks choose to get their protein & other nutrients purely from food sources rather than bars & powders.

Vega combines excellent, high quality whole food nutrition with the convenience of bars & powders. To learn more, please check out: http://www.myvega.com - there's tons of very detailed info there.

Please post any other questions you have!

• 1 month later...

Hi Daniel and all!!! (It has been quite some time since I last blurbed)

I have been using the vega product, both the powder as well as the bars, and I can honestly say that those are two tremendous products. They are full of nutrients.

What I do with the vega powder is (when I'm in a hurry in the a.m., I scoop 1-1 and 1/4 into a blender. I add a bit of oats (or any breakfast grain), dried figs, banana, oranges, berries (whatever you want) and mix it up, and put it into a thermos. It's good, satiating and provides an ample amount of protein & calroes to start the day.

Take Care--Patrick

I have just started lifting 5 days a week with some friends and need some help with reccomdendations of protein powders to go in hand with my work out routine.

I have been vegan for a few years, and I know I am can never be HUGE... but i'd like to get my muscles as large and defined as possible while maintaining a vegan diet.

I've heard that soy is OK, but no so good for building muscle mass. What about hemp protein? I've also heard some good things about buckwheat protein? And can someone tell me about this "vega" product?

-daniel

Hello Trev,

where do you get Hemp Nut Butter. I've never had it, and would be keen on giving it a try.

Patrick

where? i wanna buy it too, it must be good.

Vega is a meal replacement powder, not just protein, though it's one of the defining factors. It's got 5 kinds of high quality plant proteins (hemp, pea, flax, chlorella & rice), and all kinds of other plant superfoods.

As for other protein powders, I'd recommend soy over hemp, but if you're just starting out you shouldn't worry all that much about supplements, and instead try to get whole calories from food.

Good luck.

why would you choose soy over hemp? the only thing about soy in my opinion that is better than hemp is the price.. am i missing something?

Hello Trev,

where do you get Hemp Nut Butter. I've never had it, and would be keen on giving it a try.

Patrick

where? i wanna buy it too, it must be good.

Good luck.

why would you choose soy over hemp? the only thing about soy in my opinion that is better than hemp is the price.. am i missing something?

it is a lot more difficult for your body to absorb and digest soy protien

i know, the question i asked was to give a reason why he'd choose soy over hemp

sorry I missed that part.

don't worry, it happens.

well, i'm not a soy-expert, that's why i've asked that question.. who knows, perhaps there's a better reason for choosing soy instead of hemp.

Welcome from Austin! I second the Vega recommendation as a great, varied protein source, though the taste leaves a little to be desired! If you start tracking your calories on www.fitday.com or some other method, you'll find that if you're eating enough healthy calories, you'll probably be getting plenty of protein.

As for the impossibility of a huge vegan, there are members of this forum that definitely blow that theory out of the water. Go to the Photos section and look for VeganEssentials, for example. If he's not huge, I don't know what is!

Welcome from Austin! I second the Vega recommendation as a great, varied protein source, though the taste leaves a little to be desired! If you start tracking your calories on www.fitday.com or some other method, you'll find that if you're eating enough healthy calories, you'll probably be getting plenty of protein.

As for the impossibility of a huge vegan, there are members of this forum that definitely blow that theory out of the water. Go to the Photos section and look for VeganEssentials, for example. If he's not huge, I don't know what is!

chocolate vega tastes yummy in some rice or almond milk

I've never tried mixing it with anything other than water. I'll give it a try!

I've never tried mixing it with anything other than water. I'll give it a try!

in water it is no bueno. A banana with the rice milk is really good too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Manitoba Farms Hemp Seed Nuts are great! Just found them. I sprinke them on cereal, applesauce, in shakes, or they taste great in a trail mix with cashews and raisins.

2 tbsp. = 11g protein.

If you want to get HUGE, you'll need a protein supplement, but as you know, you can find good vegan supps.

Just eat a TON. You can get big on a vegan diet, it'll just take more work than a carnivore. And I'm not a big soy fan, so try some things like Seitan, nuts, nut butters, raw pumpkin seeds, etc.

Try fitday.com to check out your diet and see where you need to adjust things. But in the end, just EAT, EAT, EAT to get big.

P.S. My local food co-op sells hemp butter. Try Whole Foods if there's one near you.