Another NBA melee

JW

I didn't see it, but heard about it last night. I don't have TV but I miss watching the NBA, it's probably my favorite sport to follow.

Go Suns, by the way

Remember, last year Before the season, I picked them to win it all....they didn't but they did have the MVP and they took out the Lakers

Too bad about the fighting. I'm sure the Nuggets will miss Carmello.

• 2 weeks later...
Denver Nuggets & NY Knicks engage in a brawl.

What fine role models these players are.

How disappointing that these grown men who thousands of kids idolize would put on such a disgraceful show.

I am sick and tired of people bashing NBA players. I see worse role models in international soccer/football and the NHL on the field/ice and in the stands. Tie "Sucker punch Ulf Samuelson" Domi, Marty "Beat Another Player Over the Head with a Stick" Mc Sorely come to mind. How about former Boston Bruin, what's his name, Mike "Beat a Fan over the Head with his own Shoe" Milbury. What about French soccer/football great Zande, nice head butt on international television while 10's of millions of children were watching. Those guys are great role models.

Then there are those international soccer/football holigans. How many NBA, MLB, and NFL holigans are there? Not as many compared to the stupid drunk international soccer/football holigans. There haven't been to many large scale riots amonst fans in the 4 major North American team sports Leagues as there have been at "professional" international football games.

Can I use the word resentment or racism? NBA players make a lot more money than those "other" athletes.

I really don't believe that NBA players alone have been "targeted"

I don't believe that such actions should be condoned in any sport,in any ethnic group, in any culture, in any part of the world.

Reference was made to the NBA because this incident was a current news story.

If a similar incident arose in another sport, it would have been mentioned or posted.

:?

I really don't believe that NBA players alone have been "targeted"

I don't believe that such actions should be condoned in any sport,in any ethnic group, in any culture, in any part of the world.

Reference was made to the NBA because this incident was a current news story.

If a similar incident arose in another sport, it would have been mentioned or posted.

I think that many journalists do target the NBA. The "Beat a Fan over the Head with a Shoe" incident didn't recieve as much criticism on ESPN as the "Brawl in Detroit." NBA "fights" get a lot of media attention because of the image of the game and the athletes. Many basketball fans don't identify with todays NBA players, the Hip-Hop/thug generation, because of the tatoos and braids. Sports journalists and NBA commisioner David Stern are aware of this. I think that is the reason why fighting in the NBA gets alot of media attention, as well as the behavior of some NFL wide receivers. I think racism has a lot to do with the media's preoccupation with this subject matter. Why was Manu Ganobli getting so much media attention during San Antonio's last championship run when Tim "The Big Fundemental" Duncan is the engine that keeps that team going. Marketing the NBA to an international and white audience plays a factor in all of the above to point out the obvious. There are brawls in Major League Baseball all the time. I only hear criticism if a fan gets whacked in the face by a chair and suffers a broken nose.

I am not condoning the behavior, I think the athletes should be punished if fighting is effecting the image of the NBA. I would like to return back to the days of Magic, Bird, Julius "Dr. J" Erving and Jordan.

Ahhhh..... now you're talking!

the days of Bird, Dr J and Jordan!!!!

I understand where you're coming from on this. Some sports are definitely worse than others. MLB is probably the worst.

As violent as hockey is, extreme acts of violence are villified.

Soccer is usually pretty good about cracking down on violence with its players.

But MLB is puzzling. There really isn't much uproar over a brawl in baseball is there?

But MLB is puzzling. There really isn't much uproar over a brawl in baseball is there?

It is difficult to land a lot of good shots in an MLB brawl. The fights don't last long because they become a 40+ man pile on within 30 seconds. Checkout youtube and do a search for Baseball fights.

Checkout this karate kick in a minor league baseball game. The catcher suffered a broken collar bone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK-vCFG_sMc

• 3 weeks later...

Hey momma,

This is a quick "catch-all" post for several things. To start: I'm very happy that you are here comp@! I was also very happy to see yr myspace blog that criticized Moore. Any chance ya can make it out to Portland this summer for Vegan Vacation? I'd love to meet ya, show ya around Portland & generally hang out & talk.

It's amusing that yr first post in this thread calls out potential racism involved in criticism towards the NBA - but then yr most recent post is blatantly sexist. Since you apologize to the women here for yr language, I assume ya realize why/how it's sexist but if not, let's talk. Even if ya somehow think it's "ok" or whatever, I suggest considering the words of Huey P. - "We should be careful about using those terms that might turn our friends off."

Ps. I got yr email & will write back - I'm just dang slow with email sometimes...

Hey momma,

This is a quick "catch-all" post for several things. To start: I'm very happy that you are here comp@! I was also very happy to see yr myspace blog that criticized Moore. Any chance ya can make it out to Portland this summer for Vegan Vacation? I'd love to meet ya, show ya around Portland & generally hang out & talk.

I don't travel much, so probably not.

It's amusing that yr first post in this thread calls out potential racism involved in criticism towards the NBA - but then yr most recent post is blatantly sexist. Since you apologize to the women here for yr language, I assume ya realize why/how it's sexist but if not, let's talk. Even if ya somehow think it's "ok" or whatever, I suggest considering the words of Huey P. - "We should be careful about using those terms that might turn our friends off." .

I am not PC. I am sure I have gender issues, most men do. Most white people have racial issues, most heterosexual people have heterosexism issuses etc, etc, etc. If anyone wants to compare my use of that word in the "context" that I used it to an ethnic, racial, or homophobic slur I think they are infected with the disease of political correctness and should spend their energy fighting oppression, not being language police.

Do you know a guy named aka "Floyd"? I used the word "chick" around him and he had a fit.