Cute boys at the gym!

andesuma

Yes... it happend, I finally found an attractive boy at the gym.

I thought the day would never come...

Anyhow...

What do you guys do when this happends to you?

Start a conversation? say hello?

lift twice as much weight to look buff??

I am just curious what you do when you spot an attractive

specimen at the gym...

I act as though nothing has happened, and then when they least expect it, I do nothing. Then I finish up the workout and go home. Sometimes I go to the shops on the way back, and buy some vegetables. They wouldn't know what I bought though, so it's kind of neither here nor there.

It's different for guys at the gym. We typically far outnumber the women, at least in the weight room. Most women have presumably been hit on far too many times already. Any guy worth your time will likely not hit on you first, they empathize with what it is to be a woman in the weight room.

That said, you will likely have to make the first move. Ask him about a particular lift or his technique. Notice how heavy the weight is he is lifting. If the response is positive, tell him you'll see him around. Next time you see him, ask him how it's going. Ask what bodypart etc. he is working on that day. Ask him to show you how to do a lift, maybe for a spot. You will likely be able to tell if he is interested in you.

Although, it can be hard to tell, a lot of gym rats are just completely absorbed in their workout. If he is at least somewhat receptive, ask him if he has time for a smoothie or something after his workout. Even if he doesn't have time, he'll get the message. Even if he doesn't have time, the message will be clear. He'll make some effort to see you at the gym next time or maybe even a date.

Short story, guys like to be noticed as much as girls do. Just go for it, you don't have anything to lose.

I act as though nothing has happened, and then when they least expect it, I do nothing. Then I finish up the workout and go home. Sometimes I go to the shops on the way back, and buy some vegetables. They wouldn't know what I bought though, so it's kind of neither here nor there.

That's crafty, you sneaky sneaky ninja you.

If I saw a hot young bit of stuff while i was lifting weights at the gym,

i would probably think "my there's a hot bit of stuff" before slipping in some quiet discreet ogling if they insisted on being buff inside my usual visual area. but i wouldn't turn round and gawp, and would generally opt to discreetly refrain from making a megaphone out of a cupped hand then hollering WHOAH HOT STUFF, NICE ASS...... GWOOOOOAAAARRRRR.

Then, as they slipped out of visual range, I would do a pre-emptive strike by ignoring them before they can complete ignoring me.

Then, once i was finished at the gym i would perhaps do some light shopping then visit the library, I would select some interesting books and perhaps an audio-book or two, then return home. I would then perhaps play some games or watch some anime.

Here's some more practical advice:

Say "Wow I've never lifted that much" every time they do a rep - keep it up, eventually you will see results.

Say "Let me know if you need any help, it can be hard when you're a beginner."

Speak at length about how there is strong evidence to suggest that there are more dangerous germs on weight-lifting equipment than there is on the inside of a toilet

Say "I just bought this gym, so now you make all your payments to me. If you miss a payment, it'll be 2 points. I want my money each Saturday at 6pm, don't insult me"

Ask them who their favourite character is from Lost. Then remark that you don't watch the show.

Ask them if the reason why they come to the gym is because they have difficulty opening jars.

Me, I would be thinking VERY hard about a first move. Too hard and then, I'd completely overanalyze the situation until I convinced myself that I wasn't his type and that I was too fat and ugly. Then, I'd work out more and more until I didn't have time to date anyway.

I've only ever met partners online. Different ways each time but, I connect better with individuals on a "nerdy" level. I've started to master the skill of online flirting.

What worked for me most recently was asking if he (michael) was accepting applications for girlfriends (subconsciously spurred by Michelle's old quote: "now accepting applications for future exboyfriends). I'm not opposed to the first move but this wasn't how I intended it. Fortunately, brazen, nerdy, ackwardness was actually endearing to him.

Wow. That doesn't help. I'd say that any type of subtle but obvious flattery is generally well-received. Compliment him - that should at least getting him thinking about the "possibility". From what I understand, that is an initial thought with most guys regardless. Then, you can read him a little better and decide how forward you'd like to be.

har !

You could take out a digital camera and start taking pictures of him while making appreciative Britney-Spearslike noises, then fondle his bicep while he's lifting arm-weights before announcing that Hot Stuff magazine had declared him the buffest guy EVER and that you'd like to have an interview with him, possibly followed by a date.

Or... you could take an apple with you and sit near him saying "I don't understand" .... "I don't understand"... every time he does a repetition, and if he asks you what you don;t understand you can implore that you don;t understand how they get the pips into the apples.

This is a good ice-breaker as you can then start a lengthy discussion with him about different varieties of apples, their growing seasons, the slightly but fascinatingly varying textures of the skin textures, and the impact of the monocultural apple growth industry upon small time apple growers in rural communities.

Or.... you could go up to him and say "well, you may be a hot bit of stuff but i could kick your ass at Tekken" ... then, as a man his pride would need to be defended..... everybody knows that men play computer games, and that men like beat em ups, and that Tekken is the God of all beat em ups... therefore, he would assert that he could whup you at Tekken.... you could then coquettishly retort that "oh yeah you and whose army" and he might then , sensing your attraction to him, suggestively remark that maybe you could both go back to his to play a few games of Tekken to sort this out..... (*^.^*) kya ! So romantic !

IMHO Richard and Astrocat have the best advice on this subject. They are obviously very skilled by the amount of specific advice they have on this. And...personally, if it were me I would fall for any one of those approaches. Let me know how it turns out.

And if that doesn't work, ask for a spot.

When you meet eyes, say, "Hi."

ah, yes , yes, that's a good idea.

Then you should say something captivating, unique and witty which will leave you memorable even if he just says hello and amicably strolls away absent-mindedly.

For example, you could say :

You : (seductive smile) Hi

Hot bit of stuff : Hello

You : I am heRE tO DEStroY yoU ALL, yOU puny EARThlinG... I shaLL deVOUr your SPECIes PUNY MINds onE by ONE mwaHAHAHAHAHAaaaa

If he's even slightly interested in dating to begin with, then he is sure to be charmed by this fascinating and zany introduction, and will be sure to ask you out on a *hot date*

Big, that is a hardcore lifter's statement! I was the same way for years! I wouldn't even look at attractive people in the gym, even when there were many. I had a mission to complete and I focused on it. Sometimes I listened to music, wore hats to cover my eyes, just dedicated myself to the tast at hand. Now, I'm a little more relaxed and I may make some eye contact, but I don't do any flirting. I don't think it is super appropriate for the gym. I tried once about a month or two ago and got shut down pretty hard. I told Formica about it because she was in town visiting when it happened:)

I didn't read through all the responses, but I'd say eye contact is always key, and then maybe a little smile if the eye contact is maintained for 1-2 seconds.

Best of luck my friend!

Perhaps you need to wear a Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness shirt. That might make him start up a conversation with you I'm just down the road if you need one.

When I meet a nice girl in the gym I'll probably make some eye-contact while lifting. Smile a bit.. When I'm done lifting I'd approach just to say hi. If it was a nice girl I'd ask her to join me for a drink in the gymbar.

When a girl approaches me while I'm lifting I'll just be polite. If she approaches me when I'm done I'm more open for conversations. If she'd ask me for a drink there's 99% chance I'll agree. A drink never hurt anyone.

So andesuma, If I were you I'd just make eye-contact, smile and go for a chat at the end of his session. Good luck!

Here's some more practical advice:

Say "Wow I've never lifted that much" every time they do a rep - keep it up, eventually you will see results.

Say "Let me know if you need any help, it can be hard when you're a beginner."

Ask them if the reason why they come to the gym is because they have difficulty opening jars.

Poor andesuma... I don't think she was looking for advice like that

But I have to say, that it's the funniest way of getting in touch I have ever heard of ...

You know..that is EXACTLY what happend....

And usually what I do as well.

Sometimes though, I do tend to lift more weight just to look cool

Since I am usually the smallest girl in the weight room, I think most guys

find it moderately impressive I can lift what I can....

He did seem to make an effort to stand near me when lifting free weights,

and went to machines close to mine, although that could have been just

because we were working on similar body parts.... hah

I guess the compliment I could have blurted out would have been..

"Boy, your chest sure is bigger than mine!"

haha..

I am so lame at this..

He did seem to make an effort to stand near me when lifting free weights,

and went to machines close to mine

See if it happens again. If it does, casually look over and see if he is concentrating on his weights or on you. If he is glancing over at you, smile and say "Hi." If he is concentrating on his work out, wait until he's finished with his set (ie, he's changing weights, changing machines, etc.) and ask him if he can spot you or ask him how to use a machine.

I should start randomly asking people that at the gym.

For some reason, there are always a lot of super good looking guys in the parking lot at the gym, but I really don't see many inside the gym while I'm working out. Logic dictates that they spend more time in the gym than in the parking lot, thus I'm more likely to see them inside. Maybe I'm just not paying attention while I'm working out?

Big, that is a hardcore lifter's statement! I was the same way for years! I wouldn't even look at attractive people in the gym, even when there were many. I had a mission to complete and I focused on it. Sometimes I listened to music, wore hats to cover my eyes, just dedicated myself to the tast at hand. Now, I'm a little more relaxed and I may make some eye contact, but I don't do any flirting. I don't think it is super appropriate for the gym. I tried once about a month or two ago and got shut down pretty hard. I told Formica about it because she was in town visiting when it happened:)

I didn't read through all the responses, but I'd say eye contact is always key, and then maybe a little smile if the eye contact is maintained for 1-2 seconds.

Best of luck my friend!

Perhaps you need to wear a Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness shirt. That might make him start up a conversation with you I'm just down the road if you need one.

Yeah was a bit hardcore...sorry I just forgot myself for a moment!!!

What she could do is do some one arm chin ups and some L-pull ups to get his attention then hit him with the ab roll out....that way no ones missing out on the workout!