Okra

willpeavy

willpeavy, how do you usually prepare it? I need ideas!

I got some okra from the food co-op a few times last year and couldn't quite figure it out. I put it in vegetable soup, and my kids very politely asked me not to include it the next time. In stir fry, even I thought it was a bad idea... it made everything sort of slimy and weird. So, I'd say all of my attempts at cooking okra so far have failed.

The only way that I've had okra that I liked, so far, was fried okra in restaurants.. and I liked that a lot. But, no telling what's in the breading/batter or what else gets fried in the oil, so I haven't had that in a long time either.

willpeavy, how do you usually prepare it? I need ideas!

I got some okra from the food co-op a few times last year and couldn't quite figure it out. I put it in vegetable soup, and my kids very politely asked me not to include it the next time. In stir fry, even I thought it was a bad idea... it made everything sort of slimy and weird. So, I'd say all of my attempts at cooking okra so far have failed.

The only way that I've had okra that I liked, so far, was fried okra in restaurants.. and I liked that a lot. But, no telling what's in the breading/batter or what else gets fried in the oil, so I haven't had that in a long time either.

i usually don't do that, but most of people only eat okra without that weird liquid inside, you have to boil the okra alone and then take that thing out..

personally, i don't think that would make a lot of difference for me, but for a lot of people, it does, most people get ed with that.. but i think it's kinda yummy..

P.S. Is that liquid inside healthy to eat? What is that?

Edited by andgbr

Okra is my very most favorite vegetable...its even more of my favorite vegetable than peanut butter. One of my favorite ways to cook it is nice and simple...crank up the heat and throw some(well I guess a ton) of onions(in ring form) on a pan with peanut or sesame oil...then throw in some garlic...after the onions are clear throw in the okra and let it burn just a little...then throw on a bit of pepper. This goes great with rice and soysauce

A bit short,

Uh-oh. Don't want to be too short

I wrote a poem to lengthen my posting about okra a bit:

Okra

I could eat it all day

and then

eat some more

the next day

I like to eat other

foods too

Like pizza

with all the veggies