B12 for Raw people.

andgbr

If people grow their own food in gardens, you could have your soil tested for Vitamin B12, and let little bits get on. I never minded that when I ate tomatoes fresh out of my garden if one or two fell on the soil, but I use supplements.

Is there any other easier way? What if you live in big city, and you don't have where to plant your own garden? Does a rawvegan has many options? Or do they use supplements?

thanks, it's good to know, it's a relief lol, cuz i'm going to move to a small apartment in a big city..lol ( Amsterdam.. ) and i don't think i'm going to have space for my home garden..

i might move in the end of may hopefully.. looking forward to that, not sooner, not later, in the end of may.

thanks, it's good to know, it's a relief lol, cuz i'm going to move to a small apartment in a big city..lol ( Amsterdam.. ) and i don't think i'm going to have space for my home garden..

i might move in the end of may hopefully.. looking forward to that, not sooner, not later, in the end of may.

Cool!

I highly recommend finding a source of B12. The raw vegan group from "Hallelujah Acres" didn't go out of their way to supplement, then were tested, and many of them showed deficiencies, so now they take supplements.

On possible source of B12 could be rejuvelac (a beverage made from soaking raw wheat or other grains in water until you get natural fermentation and bacterial growth, including B12). Another source could be raw Kombucha (also a fermented product).

Dulse and sea veggies are a great source of b12

i have a bag of Dulse right here and a serving has 23% daily value

Most of the B12 in sea veggies is supposedly a B12 analog that blocks absorption of actual B12. People who eat a lot of nori, hoping to get B12 from it, have been shown to have deficiencies. I'm not sure if dulse is any different, though.

isn't there any relation between lack of hygiene when eating and B12? i think that's why they eat with their hands in India and some people are careless about washing their hands..no? sorry if that isn't true, but i've heard somewhere this original way to get it.

isn't there any relation between lack of hygiene when eating and B12? i think that's why they eat with their hands in India and some people are careless about washing their hands..no? sorry if that isn't true, but i've heard somewhere this original way to get it.

Ingesting small amounts of B12 from produce that is not washed is certainly one way to get it (or used to be: in one study comparing organic to conventional farming methods, non-organic soil didn't contain any cobalt, whereas organic soil did. And soil-based B12 (a cobalamin) is dependant on the presence of cobalt in the soil.

It's possible that by growing your own produce and rinsing lightly (in rain water or other non-chlorinated water) could provide some B12 (but I haven't read anything to convince me that not taking B12 supplement is a good idea!).

"lack of hygiene" to me suggest not washing after defecating or such, and wouldn't be a particularly good idea, as it can also pass on bad things, like ecoli (which is naturally present in our intestinal tracts in small quantities, but isn't good when it comes in the other end!)

Of course, in some societies where one does eat with one's hands, one had is used for personal hygiene, and the other hand is used for eating. And it's tabou to use the 'hygiene' hand for eatiing.

• 2 weeks later...

Red Star Brewer's Yeast/Nutritional yeast

Spiralina

Chlorella

(primarily) BT's Green Kombucha

local, organically grown, unwashed veggies (not the safest way, but still..)

Blue-green algae (typically has about 6 micrograms per serving)

also...

If a person is healthy and on a healthy vegan, high-percentage raw food diet and does not habitually over-eat, wrongly combine their foods and abuse their bodies generally, and is able to obtain quality produce and utilise fasting quite regularly I would suggest that t is unlikely that they will develop B12 deficiency symptoms providing their intestinal flora was not previously deranged. Vitamin B12 deficiency is usually symptomatic of a larger problem i.e. poor intestinal flora, poor absorption, gastric disorders , etc. and can also be attrributed to a lack of sunlight. There are indeed many factors involved here since adequate B12 levels, as mentioned, are dependent upon sufficient calcium, vitamin B12, zinc, cobalt, protein, etc.

I would also suggest that just because a wild fruit or organic plant food contains only a small amount, this does not mean it is deficient. It may just be because we only need a small amount anyhow. The pill pushers are quick to say that our soil is deficient, but according to Diamond and others, if a seed does not receive the elements it needs IT WILL NOT GROW (OR WILL GROW POORLY - author). Also, plants obtain nutrients from other sources in greater amounts: the sun, water and the air. Plants actually obtain only about 1% of nutrients from the soil. ..

article:

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/b12issue.html

hope that helps...