Bigbwii At a Gym!!!!

Bigbwii

Today me and my buddy Frank went to 24hr Fitness.....on free passes and I acted the complete fool...I was doing L-pulls, handstand push ups, hanging leg raises, one leg one arm push ups, clap pull ups, etc I mean I really hamed it up and didn't used a single weight!!!!!

People were looking at me like I was crazy....one of the staff asked Frank if I was in the military or something...and kept on saying that he wanted to train with me!!!!

But at the end of the day the whole thing was a rip off...the machines are good and all but most people weren't even working out, just standing around looking in the mirror, chit chatting or looking at girls on the tread mill, people are spending so much money a month at these places and getting ripped off and the staff that try to sell you the packages know that they can cut the prices drastically but they still want to see if your gonna pay and as soon as you say you can't afford they tell you that they can do you a better deal....then when you say your not sure, up comes a better deal, then after that an even better deal comes from the manager, which still ends up being at around 30-40 bucks a month.

I think I'll stick to the park!!!!

What is the best training approach to be able to do one hand push-ups?

Mytriceps and chest seem strong enough but I can not balance, with one arm. I assume your core muscles must be very strong to keep balance - is that it? Is getting your core muscles strong enough, the trick?

Any suggested training steps to get to the point where I can do them?

Edit: I searched and found that to start you spread your legs wide, for balance. I was trying to do them with legs together, which should be my goal but not initial practice maybe. So I guess I need to do them with legs spread apart, and over time, bring the legs closer together as I progress on a weekly basis.

Is that a good way to master them?

Edited by 9nines

I go to the gym, I don't really talk to anyone unless I know them from outside the gym then I might ask them how they're doing and stuff. But I do each exercise followed by maybe 20-30 seconds rest, then go home. I don't see the point in doing anything else there.

But since I've been doing more bodyweight stuff, it's made me want to forget about the gym anyway. I have a year's membership, but once that's dry I think I won't go back. The gym staff at my place are actually really good, they are helpful and honest, and they never pressured me to spend more money, never even brought up what kind of membership I have or anything. But the gym experience in itself, I don't think it's necessary for the kid of results I want. I have a chin up bar at home, hurr, that's all you really need.

What is the best training approach to be able to do one hand push-ups?

Mytriceps and chest seem strong enough but I can not balance, with one arm. I assume your core muscles must be very strong to keep balance - is that it? Is getting your core muscles strong enough, the trick?

Any suggested training steps to get to the point where I can do them?

Edit: I searched and found that to start you spread your legs wide, for balance. I was trying to do them with legs together, which should be my goal but not initial practice maybe. So I guess I need to do them with legs spread apart, and over time, bring the legs closer together as I progress on a weekly basis.

Is that a good way to master them?

Well yeah spreading your legs up against a wall with two hands then build up your strength to usev one hand, etc, etc,

Balance is the hardest part.....Personaly i'm so far from that so well done!!!!

I go to the gym, I don't really talk to anyone unless I know them from outside the gym then I might ask them how they're doing and stuff. But I do each exercise followed by maybe 20-30 seconds rest, then go home. I don't see the point in doing anything else there.

But since I've been doing more bodyweight stuff, it's made me want to forget about the gym anyway. I have a year's membership, but once that's dry I think I won't go back. The gym staff at my place are actually really good, they are helpful and honest, and they never pressured me to spend more money, never even brought up what kind of membership I have or anything. But the gym experience in itself, I don't think it's necessary for the kid of results I want. I have a chin up bar at home, hurr, that's all you really need.

Hey...your a ninja and ninjas don't do their hardcore stuff in public, I bet your doing all kinds of crazy exercises undercover!!!!!

We've been to a couple 24 hour fitness gyms, and didn't like it for the same reasons you mentioned. Too much of a "singles club" atmosphere, with everyone standing around checking each other out.. and the whole high-pressure used-car-salesman approach to selling memberships. Glad to know it's not just me who thinks so. (Also glad I found a more family-oriented gym that's open 24hrs.)

I've been watching the official Bigbwii bodyweight exercise video collection (keep 'em coming!) and trying to do some of it. They are a lot more challenging than you make it look.

We've been to a couple 24 hour fitness gyms, and didn't like it for the same reasons you mentioned. Too much of a "singles club" atmosphere, with everyone standing around checking each other out.. and the whole high-pressure used-car-salesman approach to selling memberships. Glad to know it's not just me who thinks so. (Also glad I found a more family-oriented gym that's open 24hrs.)

I've been watching the official Bigbwii bodyweight exercise video collection (keep 'em coming!) and trying to do some of it. They are a lot more challenging than you make it look.

I hear ya!

It was funny because me and my buddy I used to working out in his garage (what we jokingly call the ghetto gym) and we always said we'd have to go up market one of these days!

It was fun to play around but I can imagine that it would get boring real quick....

Yeah doing the vids are fun and help me build a good foundation for myself as well as helping me learn...

Before I went vegan I hated chit chatting at the gym...I really wanted to just get my sets in...but now since lifting isn't what I need most its kinda nice because I pretty much only get positive questions about being vegan and muscular...its a lousy part of gym training thats worked out for the better...I've converted a few people that way...but if it were an all vegan gym I'd hate talking that much...well it'd be nice to talk in an all vegan gym but then you'd realize that your all the same after a while

If you use the weights and everything, I think the 30 - 40 bucks a month is worth it. I use lots of free weights and things, but I also go late at night when no one else is there and the "Singles club" people have left.

The staff at my gym is great too. They're friendly, not pushy, and are helpful with lots of things if you need help.

I've been doing more bodyweight stuff also, and I like the park too.

Why didn't you use a weight though? I mean, if you were at the gym for free for the day, you may as well have taken advantage of the situation, unless of course people were sitting on benches socializing...

No one at my gym really stands around chatting...you get the odd group of guys who know each other in the free weights area sometimes. But then they usually get back to it pretty quick.

The staff don't talk to me (ever!) and the only time I have contact with other people is asking if I can swap in on stuff or on the odd occasion someone has thought I was going to drop the bar and spotted for me. (usually unnecessarily)

The music is shit that they pump out the gym tannoy though...might get myself an ipod shuffle or something.