2006 A Year in Review

robert

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

2006 Year in Review

Thank you to all of you who are visiting the veganbodybuilding.com website and forum.

Welcome to all of the new members. Thanks for joining our team!

I don't send out mass newsletters very often. This is only the 4th one I’ve sent out in

more than 18 months. So don't worry about it filling up your inbox, the mass e-mails

come out rarely and are only to share important stuff going on the Vegan Bodybuilding

& Fitness community.

2006 – A great Year for Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness and our community!

We had an amazing year and I want to thank all of you for your support of Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness and for your involvement on our website forum.

In this Year in Review letter I will highlight some of the things that Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness and our forum members accomplished. We have a lot to be proud of.

This current forum is our third forum on www.veganbodybuilding.com. It is obviously the most successful and active of all the forums we started over the past few years. We started this one back in April of 2005 and it really took off in 2006. We’re one of the fastest growing vegan forums out there and we have ourselves to thank for making it a place that people enjoy spending time at.

I’ll keep this short because I’m short on time and I know most people don’t like reading a long drawn-out recap of events.

HERE ARE SOME HIGHLIGHTS:

Vegan Bodybuilder Alexander Dargatz won a World Championship in bodybuilding in late 2005 and this year decided to come out to America to visit during the Vegan Vacation, held in Portland, OR. For photos of Alex in winning contest form visit: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/images.html

Denise Nicole was our Vegan Fitness Model of the year in 2005. We didn’t have a contest in 2006. For the bio and photos of Denise visit: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/article/743

The Documentary ‘Vegan Fitness Built Naturally’ starring Vegan Bodybuilder Robert Cheeke, Vegan Pro Ironman Triathlete Brendan Brazier, and Vegan Pro Dancer Tonya Kay was released and has been sold to people in more than 15 countries and all over North America. For more information about the documentary visit: www.veganfitnessteam.com

Vegan Bodybuilder Robert Cheeke was featured as VegNews Magazine’s first ever Veg Bachelor in the spring of this year. Robert remains single.

Portland, Oregon and Eugene, Oregon were selected as two of the top Vegetarian-Friendly cities in North America by PETA/GoVeg.com. The largest group of forum members from one city is the group in Portland, OR.

We had multiple Shape-Up Challenges on the forum during 2006. I deeply apologize for not having the results up for the Summer Shape-Up Challenge. I took on way too many projects this year, used two different computers and had a hard time finding all the data I needed to complete the process. I do plan on getting these results up as soon as I can. Check the forum for updates. There is a current shape-up challenge going on now, but I’m not involved in it due to my inability to properly run the first two challenges. The deadline for entry is Jan 1st, check out this thread for more details:

viewtopic.php?t=4900

In April I quit my job working for a security company and I started working full-time for Vega (www.myvega.com). As a result, all forum members get bonus products, free samples and other goodies when you order Vega from www.foodfightgrocery.com

Thank you for supporting Vega! Formulator Brendan Brazier is also a member of our forum.

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness hosted the Vegan Vacation in Portland, OR. Members from many parts of the United States gathered for a week of vegan fitness fun. For more info please visit www.veganvactions.net. We hope to have another Vegan Vacation in the summer of 2007. Check the forum or www.veganvacations.net for updates. Thanks to all who attended this year!

This summer I competed in multiple bodybuilding competitions. I placed 3rd in one and 4th in another so it wasn’t a “highlight” year, but I had great success in 2005 (1st and 2nd place, and competed at the World Natural Bodybuilding Championships).

Vegan Bodybuilder Robbie Hazeley competed multiple times in 2006 including placing 2nd at the Mr. South Coast Contest, 6th at the Mr. International Contest, 2nd at the Mr. West Britain Contest, 4th at Mr. Celtic Contest, and had a 10th place finish at the Mr. Universe Contest! Wow, what a year for Robbie! Congrats on all your success on stage in 2006! Visit www.veganbodybuilding.org for recaps and photos from Robbie’s success!

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness organized the 1st Annual Vegan Holiday Festival which attracted 1,000 people from the Northwest to Portland, Oregon. For more info about the festival, visit www.veganholidayfestival.com. We had about 20 forum members show up at this event as well. Thanks to those of you who volunteered and staffed tables!

Vegan Bodybuilder Robert Cheeke made the cover of Real Gainz magazine and has now been in more than 20 magazines totaling over 1.4 million printed copies. To view the magazine feature, visit: http://www.realgainz.com/RobertCheeke

Vegan Bodybuilder Alexander Dargatz received media attention in newspapers, magazines, all over the internet and had great television interviews this year in Europe.

This year we started sponsoring athletes. It has been sporadic at best, but we will improve our relationship with our sponsored athletes and provide them with greater opportunities in 2007. Here is a list of our current sponsored athletes:

Alexander Dargatz – Vegan Bodybuilder

Kristopher Flannery – Vegan Bodybuilder

Robert Cheeke – Vegan Bodybuilder

Brent Smith - Vegan Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Fighter

Denise Nicole - Vegan Fitness Model

Nicole Hopman - Vegan Yoga teacher

More to come…….

If you would like to be a sponsored athlete please visit this page:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/article/764

We announced New Moderators to the forum. Most of the moderators have had some sort of connection with Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness for a couple of years. The current Moderators are: Richard, CollegeB, Michelle, and Odidnetne. loveliberate was added as an Administrator. Please welcome them to their new positions on board! I want to give a special thanks to the new Moderators and Admin for their work to help maintain the great atmosphere here on the forum.

I know I missed a bunch of things from 2006, but I just wanted to recap some of the highlights and send out a thank you e-mail for making this such a great online community.

Here are some tips (copied from my last newsletter):

TIPS

Nutrition Tip:

If you want to maximize the processes involved in muscle growth, you should consume a

protein shake pre- and post-workout. Go with 20-40 grams of protein both before and after training.

-Muscle & Fitness Magazine November 2005

*Note – We suggest Vega (www.myvega.com)

Training Tip:

When doing calf raises mix up your poundages and rep ranges for the best gains,

alternating between heavy weight/moderate reps and lighter weight/higher reps. Rest 90

seconds between sets regardless of the weight used. For better calf isolation, don’t

bounce at the bottom of the motion; instead, pause for a brief moment. This gives your

calves a good stretch and prevents momentum from doing the work.

-Muscle & Fitness Magazine November 2005

FORUM FACTS:

We have over 600 active members on the forum.

We’ve had over 60,000 posts on the forum.

veganpotter has the highest posting rate at more than 10 posts per day!

robert has the highest post total with more than 5,000 posts.

We are very specialized and have 32 forum categories!

Our most viewed thread is: viewtopic.php?t=196

More than 15,000 reads.

Be sure to check out some of our recommended links:

LINKS

Here are a few related sites to visit when you explore the World Wide Web:

www.veganbodybuilding.org

www.veganfitness.net

www.organicathlete.org

www.myvega.com

www.goveg.com

www.peta.org

www.vegetarianteen.com

www.newgrip.com

www.brendanbrazier.com

www.tonyakay.com

www.veganessentials.com

www.vegan-forum.com

www.veganfitnessteam.com

www.chrysander.com

www.cherylhill.com

www.farewellremption.com

www.kayosmarket.com

www.sequelnaturals.com

www.vegancycling.com

www.denisenicole.com

www.veganforum.com

www.adamresnick.bravehost.com

www.myspace.com/veganbodybuilding

www.myspace.com/veganbodybuildingfitness

www.attilahildmann.com

www.vegnews.com

www.veganoutreach.org

www.vegan.com

www.suzetteandrea.biz

http://www.myvega.com/teamvega/ambassadors.asp?tid=4

www.vegansport.org

www.mikemahler.com

www.rawfitnessandoutdoors.com

www.veloshop.org

www.foodfightgrocery.com

www.hippocratesinst.org

www.veganrunners.org

www.downbound.com

www.blossominglotus.com

www.piratestavern.com

www.veganopolis.com

www.godfist.com

www.smartmonkeyfoods.com

www.chefal.org

www.madcowboy.com

www.veganvacations.net

www.veganholidayfestival.com

COME BACK TO VISIT ANYTIME

If you haven't been by the forum in a while, please come by to see what's new and get to

know all the new members.

Thanks again for all the support. See you on the forum! Happy New Year and all the best in 2007!

Robert Cheeke

Founder/President

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

[email protected]

Thanks guys,

I know I left tons of things out, I just wanted to recap some of the things we did in 2006. It was a great year, bigger and better than 05, and 2007 is looking like it will be pretty sweet too!

Lots of work ahead of me, but all for a very worthy cause. Thanks for hanging with me.

The craziest fact I couldn't believe is over 600 active people. I imagined the number to be somewhere between 200 - 300.

Lots of lurkers.

(Yes, there is a smiley for almost any occasion.)

_________

Wow, 2006 has been a spectacular year!! Nice work Robert, and everyone else who made it happen.