Rope Skipping

danny

So, do we have good skippers here perhaps?

Im pretty interested in good rope skipping, especially for my boxing.

But I just wont become any better anymore and I feel pretty burned out.

I dont know how people can become as fast as seen on multiple videos..

but anyway I think it is a very good exercise for coordination and stamina.

What experience have you made?

So any suggestions on how to train or perhaps good training videos or books would be very welcome. Or how about the ropes itself?

danny**

Oh, yea! Funny...I just got a jump rope last week! This is my new obsession Well, sorta. It's my new goal to master this thing. I haven't rope jumped in *years* -- I was a child -- many moons ago

Anyway, I got this one, which is nice. I like that it's adjustable. It's plastic, so not great for hardwood floors.

I wrote about it in my blog, but it was really funny: I thought -- since I'm a 15-year distance runner...), "Okay, I'll start slow...I'll do 10 minutes" I did 10 jumps and was dying My heart was pounding, my heartrate jumped. I *love* it. This is the kind of thing I can get addicted to if I do it consistently. I'm gonna try.

I'm adding it to my revamped workout routine, which I'm still refining. I'm very excited about it since it's been a long time since an exercise has given me a challenge and such a great boost out of my stale routines and plateaus! Eventually, I hope to be *much* lighter on my feet (nothing like rope jumping to make one feel like a big, awkward, clumsy block of cement!); get fast; and, of course, do some fancy stuff

This is the page I'm using as a guide for now: Which has nice videos

I'm still doing research on this, myself; but there is a lot on the internet. If you find anything really good, post it here. I need all the help I can get as a beginner!

What are your goals with this? Do you do it now, or is it something you want to begin too?

E.T.A. Oh and there is a ropeless jump rope!

Edited by _raVen_

Jump Rope Routines

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym26.htm

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/CardioExercises.html

Boxing Forum

http://www.defend.net/deluxeforums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

HIIT High Intensity Interval Training

Always begin each workout with a 5 minute warm-up at a level of 3-4 on your R.P.E. scale. Follow this with 5 minutes at a steady pace that is just starting to get hard by the end, level 5-6 on your R.P.E. scale. And then reduce the intensity and do 5 more minutes, back to level 3-4 on your R.P.E. scale. This 15 minutes remains the same throughout the first three phases of your H.I.I.T. protocol. After this 15 minute period proceed immediately to the high intensity intervals, which will be described below. During the intervals you should be pushing hard, striving for about a level 7-10 on your R.P.E. scale. Always finish your session with a 5-minute cool-down, another level 3-4 on the R.P.E. scale.

Phase 1:

Weeks 1 & 2: 4 X 90 seconds work + 90 seconds recovery.

Weeks 3 & 4: 5 X 60 seconds work + 60 seconds recovery.

Phase 2:

Weeks 1 & 2: 6 X 45 seconds work + 30 seconds recovery.

Weeks 3 & 4: 7 X 30 Seconds work + 20 seconds recovery.

Phase 3:

Weeks 1 & 2: 8 X 20 seconds work + 10 seconds recovery.

Weeks 3 & 4: 10 X 20 seconds work + 10 seconds recovery.

http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

Couple questions for anyone who may know:

I've read that the best shoes for rope jumping are cross trainers, but I wonder if jumping in socks (on non-slip gym mat) is okay. Or is that bad for feet/joints/knees, etc.? I don't have crosstrainers at the mo, but am finding shoes very heavy and clunky...

Also, jumping to music seems to be recommended often -- I read one that instructed to jump to music at 120-135 beats per minute. How the heck do I find out which song is how many beats/min?

Thanks.

Found this good-looking routine:

"...Try this routine, used in boxing classes:

* Skip rope for three minutes. (A round in boxing is three minutes long.)

* Take a minute off, and do as many crunches as you can.

* Skip rope for another three minutes.

* During the next minute between rounds, do as many push-ups as you can.

* Back to skipping for three minutes

* Do crunches for another minute. Repeat.

You can alternate rounds of skipping with crunches and push-ups until you've completed 30 minutes or more of exercise. After the second or third round of skipping, your heart rate wonít drop that much during the crunches and push-ups.

You might not be able to do more than a few intervals of push-ups. Use any exercise you want during the minute between rounds. Try doing squats and lunges (with or without weights) to give your larger leg muscles added work. Do upper-body exercises with dumbbells during that minute. (Use proper form. Don't rush.) One more thing: Skipping rope emphasizes your calves, so be diligent about stretching them.

Another advantage of skipping rope is that you can take one anywhere. If you're traveling and the place you're staying doesn't have a gym, you can bring your own."

_Excerption from iVillage

I've read that the best shoes for rope jumping are cross trainers, but I wonder if jumping in socks (on non-slip gym mat) is okay. Or is that bad for feet/joints/knees, etc.? I don't have crosstrainers at the mo, but am finding shoes very heavy and clunky...

Don't jump rope barefoot or in socks. Buy some sneakers. It may not feel uncomfortable at first, but if you ask any podiatrists they would tell you to wear sneakers.

When I'm being good I do two one hour sessions a week. Nothing special other than maybe rotating from 5 on each foot...then going to the next...may main goal is to do them fast to keep my heart rate up but sometimes I see how many reps I can do double skips with...my record is a measily three but I'd like to be able to do sets for time doing this...maybe one or two minute sets with regular skips in between.

Don't jump rope barefoot or in socks. Buy some sneakers. It may not feel uncomfortable at first, but if you ask any podiatrists they would tell you to wear sneakers.

'kay

When I'm being good I do two one hour sessions a week...

And when you're being bad, you're better?

... Nothing special other than maybe rotating from 5 on each foot...then going to the next...may main goal is to do them fast to keep my heart rate up but sometimes I see how many reps I can do double skips with...my record is a measily three but I'd like to be able to do sets for time doing this...maybe one or two minute sets with regular skips in between.

Showoff

Thats a lot of info, thanks all for the links.

I will be off for training in an hour and of course I will do some skipping, Ive got some new motivation now though there were noch really new steps... the damn criss-cross step is kinda difficult for me... they described it all so easy in there journals, but I wasnt able to do one jump of them yet :/

I think it is pretty importan to be kinda easy (loose, realxed?) and that is one of my probs, Im too stiff, especially in my lower back and shoulders.. gotta work on that.

And I will look for another rope... mine is kinda heavy.

That "Ropeless skipping rope" is really funny :P who the hell confirms such things when its about to get off-the-shelves?

danny**

5 on each foot then going to the other may seem a bit tough but if you do alot of 2-3 on each foot skips...you'll quickly progress to 5...this means maybe a week at most...I can do more than 5 but I break step often if I keep doing it for more than 3-4 sets of rotation.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't jump rope barefoot?

I only jump rope barefoot. Actually, I do all of my working out while barefoot. Why is this bad for my feet? Am I going to pay for this when I'm an old lady? The only adverse thing I can think of is that it hurts like bloody hell when you're going super fast and accidentally slap your toes.

I only jump rope barefoot. Actually, I do all of my working out while barefoot. Why is this bad for my feet? Am I going to pay for this when I'm an old lady? The only adverse thing I can think of is that it hurts like bloody hell when you're going super fast and accidentally slap your toes.

I already answered your question. Ask a podiatrist. Don't believe every martial arts instructor and their brother who doesn't have a medical degree. If you want to risk f*****g up your feet then fine. They are your feet so do whatever you want with them.

I do think all podiatrists would say that but then again they would all say not to run barefoot too. And its a documented fact that barefoot runners get injured far less often than runners that wear shoes...I don't see anything wrong with it so long as you light on your feet...my problem with it would be whacking my toes with the rope...I use a steel cable rope...covered with a nylon tube and that thing really hurts when I hit my toes.

I already answered your question. Ask a podiatrist. Don't believe every martial arts instructor and their brother who doesn't have a medical degree. If you want to risk f*****g up your feet then fine. They are your feet so do whatever you want with them.

Actually, you didn't answer my question, you just sent me elsewhere to ask my question. This leads me to believe you have no idea what you're talking about.

Yeah...you shouldn't believe everyone with a medical degree either...if we did this would be Atkins Bodybuilding & Fitness instead of Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Yeah...you shouldn't believe everyone with a medical degree either...if we did this would be Atkins Bodybuilding & Fitness instead of Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

So true, veganpotter!!

For the record: I'm not about to run out and see a podiatrist because someone told me I shouldn't skip rope while barefoot.

Actually, you didn't answer my question, you just sent me elsewhere to ask my question. This leads me to believe you have no idea what you're talking about.
I never ask people on the internet for medical advice, I never gave any and I advise against it. Every internet wingnut and their brother claims to be an expert on some medical issue.
And its a documented fact that barefoot runners get injured far less often than runners that wear shoes...
I am not say whether or not what you say is true, however, where is this fact well documented? You haven't posted any research of this documentation.

http://www.posetech.com/library/pp-YM-0001.html

http://commongroundmag.com/2006/03/barefoot0603.html

Here's just a few...and just to let you know in 1960 Abebe Bikila of Ethiopia won the Olympic Gold Medal in the Marathon barefoot...there was also a greek(jewish) runner(I forgot his name) from the 40s that defected to the US...he was a world record holder in the Marathon and when he came to the US someone paid him money and gave him shoes...he never ran as well again.

And here is a link about people going to barefoot running after seeing the benefits

http://www.triclubsandiego.org/stories/5059551.html

Sometimes medical advice online is bad but sometimes nothing is wrong with it...like I suggest you not take cocain for energy while training, while people have done it in the past I don't think you should

Actually, it'd be Atkins + Supplements + all kinds of crap ( except for steroids ) Bodybuilding and Fitness.

Endless Ads...

Thank God VBF doesn't have that much of ads comparing to regular athletic websites.

In due time...those ads may come up...not in the page but in the form of pop ups thanks to good hackers...but I hope not. I don't want pills to make any of my body part larger