Contest Training Journal for markc7 and WendyRC

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D'Oh, I just remembered that I never posted about my run on Friday night. A buddy of mine is running the Canada Death Race in a couple weeks. It's a 125km race up in the Rockie mountains. We went for a three hour trail run in the middle of the night, because he'll be doing some tough running in the dark. We got a little bit turned around on the trail, but were never lost. Lots of the terrain was pretty tough in the dark, but there were some runable sections that we really flew along. At the end of the run we took a dip in Meech Lake to clean off.

My running has been lousy this week! Too much other stuff going on in my life right now. I know, poor excuse. But I'm getting right back into it starting now. I just got back from a 9km run in the pouring rain. It's been raining non-stop since early this morning, and the forecast is for it to keep getting worse. Nice run, though.

OK, so here's the situation. I haven't been posting much in the last couple weeks because I haven't been running much. I'm in complete taper mode for the longest run of my life.

This Wednesday morning I'm going to leave Ottawa and start running to Kingston. Although Kingston is just under 200km by road, the trail that I'm going to be running is just over 300km.

My plan is to run between 50 and 75 km per day. That should get me there by Sunday. I'm staying with a friend of mine at the halfway point, and he might run some of the distance with me. I'm also going to have a couple of opportunities to refill water and food and supplies along the way. But for the most part, I'm going to be on my own with nothing but what I carry on my back.

So, send me good vibes this week, especially Wednesday night which will be my first night alone sleeping in the woods. I'll take lots of pictures (if I can find a lightweight camera to bring), and I'll be sure to post the whole story when I get back.

Well, the weather didn't exactly cooperate with my plans for this week. Yesterday the temps were over 32C with a humidex above 40. Today was supposed to set a record. I wisely bailed out of the trip after about 45km yesterday, as which point I knew I wouldn't make my distance for the day. Also, I was finding it impossible to stay hydrated enough on that section of the course. I weighted myself after I got back and was 7 lbs lighter than when I started. I'm still not back to my pre-run weight, despite drinking lots since I got home.

This Wednesday morning I'm going to leave Ottawa and start running to Kingston. Although Kingston is just under 200km by road, the trail that I'm going to be running is just over 300km.So, send me good vibes this week, especially Wednesday night which will be my first night alone sleeping in the woods. I'll take lots of pictures (if I can find a lightweight camera to bring), and I'll be sure to post the whole story when I get back.

Good Vibes coming your way!

Yesterday we didn't get out for our run until after 8pm, so we ended up doing 15km and we're hoping to do 30-ish today. But this morning I woke up with alot of pain in my upper back and neck, probably from packing yesterday morning. So I might or might not get out for a run today. We'll see.

This afternoon I went out for about 8km on my own. I just ran to the high school track and did laps without keeping track of my distance or pace or anything. It's kinda nice sometimes to just space out, let the mind wander, and just run.

I forgot to mention that yesterday I went to the shoe store to buy a new pair of running shoes. I've worn four previous pairs of Mizuno Precisions, and I wanted to try some other shoes to make sure that I was in the best fitting shoe for me. After trying on just about every other neutral shoe in the store, I confirmed that the Precisions are the right shoes for me and bought my fifth pair.

So you're saying it was painful to type, but you weren't too sore to run 8k? I'm glad it sounds like you're feeling a bit better.

I really wish the pair I've been wearing was still available for sale. I still haven't taken my new pair outside yet because I'm afraid of not being able to return them if they aren't right.

• 3 weeks later...

I might have missed posting a couple runs here and there over the last couple of weeks. I just moved to a new house, and things have been very busy with that and work and other stuff going on right now. Wendy and I are running a 100 mile race this weekend, for which we are both severely undertrained (<150km in all of August!). But that's ok, we're just running to finish, nothing more.

Yesterday I did a short run around my new neighbourhood for the first time. It'll be a big change running different routes all the sudden. But about twenty minutes into my run, I ran into a running buddy of mine that I've trained with in the past. Turns out he lives just down the road from me.

I hardly ever see anyone running in our neighbourhood. It's nice to know there are a few people around doing it. That's one reason why I like going down to the canal periodically... I really enjoy the camaraderie with the other runners.

Let me know if you stumble across any hills or anything I might have missed.

Wendy and I ran the Haliburton Forest 100 mile race this weekend. We both finished, but it didn't go exactly as planned. At the finish line Wendy was pretty badly dehydrated and had to be brought to emergency. She's doing better now. We've learnt alot of lessons from this race. I'll write up a longer report sometime soon.