Weighted Vest...

I am not an expert, but the X-VEST looks like it will be more comfortable. The V-MAX has that strap right in the middle of the torso, I imagine that will feel nippy and nasty? Whereas the X-VEST looks like it's kind of looser all round, won't cut into you.

I don't know much about them, so I'm not much help. I just wanted to say that I was randomly thinking about vests a few days ago. I wore one back when I was in high school training for track and field. I was thinking it would be fun to wear one all the time, so my body thought I was about 30 pounds heavier and would respond accordingly.

Best of luck with the new vest! Let us know how it goes.

Whereas the X-VEST looks like it's kind of looser all round, won't cut into you.

After having to carry a 40-pound pack around for 20 something miles up and down hills... I can tell you that you'd rather have a tighter fit... as long as it isn't interfering with your breathing. The V-Max looks like it would fit about like a framed backpack would (with the exception of the extra strap around your waist on the backpacks). I'm no expert, but I think the V-Max would probably be preferable. Something that would feel more like a part of your body than something that you're "just carrying around".

My two cents...

I've got a cheap imitation junky one from ebay...make sure you get one thats comfy because mine really stinks. It does the trick but I don't like wearing it for very long at all

I think the V-Vest would probably be better for movement issues...I can crunch over with mine at all and since my torso is very large(not that I have a belly or anything) breathing is kinda touch unless I keep it loose...then it moves around way too much

Thanks for the comments, You Guys, but I've got one vote for the V-Max and one for the X-Vest

There are hundreds of posters here, and I get two opinions?!!

Wow.. I didn't know these things existed! Sounds cool. Let me know how it feels when you got one.

LOTS, they've been around a long time; but, as I recall, they were marketed more for men -- big guys back in the day; and now they are better designed and marketed for everyone and all sports. Check out the links I posted. You can use these for most any workout -- even swimmers, which I'd never heard before! A lot of pro athletes and coaches use them too.

I got to thinking of these again last year when some of my fellow students in Hapkido wore them for (home) practice.

I do have one, actually, but it's not a sports vest. It's one for walking, maybe light yoga-type stuff, and wearing daily. It helps build bones too Unfortunately, it is not suitable at all for sports.

VeganMa, I want one for all the exercise I engage in, including the new body-weight exercises I'll be starting this year.

I'm seriously thinking of picking one of these up - especially after checking out rosstraining...

As for which one... it's so hard to tell. I thought the V-max (shorter one?) looked more robust and less gimmicky, but they're both probably pretty good. I don't think you can go too wrong - if you get one and don't like it, sell it and get the other.

Hey, Trev, let me know how you get on if you get one. You don't look like you need much improvement, though!

The Rosstraining site is serious stuff. Looks like Ross's vote goes to the V-MAX

I'm focusing on core work this year too. It seems to be, well, at the core, of all fitness. I *despise* abs work and refuse to do target exercises for them; but doing something active which works the abs is no problem. I just can't make myself lie down and do situps. Still "can't" do yoga at this point; but hope to one day. I have issues with slow stuff, floor work, etc.

I'm hoping the vest will help me in my core. I don't have any fat to lose. I've cut back on running (from 10 miles a day, 6-7/week) to focus on more bodyweight stuff, but still do cardio.

If I get the wrong one, I'll offer it here, good idea .

What has given you -- you all who have them -- great abs?

It'll be a little while before I "invest". I will let you know when I do. I might dig around and find a local supplier, so I don't have to order off the internet, not that that's bad or anything.

As for abs - you won't wanna hear this - crunches, hundreds of crunches. I do a variety of different crunches nearly every single day, usually between 200 and 300 per day. And slow full sit-ups too, sometimes with a medicine ball. Ab roll-outs are also awesome. I also frequently do ultra slow leg raises between sets of crunches. With abs, you can work them constantly without waiting for them to heal. I also do tons of heavy bag work at the gym, and that conditions the core. Actually, most of the excercises and drills we do in kickboxing are good for the core. Burpees are another good core excercise - especially for lower back conditioning.

I got a rib broken by a side kick a few months ago, after my avatar photo was taken, and I don't want that to happen again. I'm about to start sparring full contact again so I've been working my abs like crazy. A couple of hard round kicks or hooks to the body are good motivation to do sit-ups!

It'll be a little while before I "invest". I will let you know when I do. I might dig around and find a local supplier, so I don't have to order off the internet, not that that's bad or anything.

As for abs - you won't wanna hear this - crunches, hundreds of crunches. I do a variety of different crunches nearly every single day, usually between 200 and 300 per day. And slow full sit-ups too, sometimes with a medicine ball. Ab roll-outs are also awesome. I also frequently do ultra slow leg raises between sets of crunches. With abs, you can work them constantly without waiting for them to heal. I also do tons of heavy bag work at the gym, and that conditions the core. Actually, most of the excercises and drills we do in kickboxing are good for the core. Burpees are another good core excercise - especially for lower back conditioning.

I got a rib broken by a side kick a few months ago, after my avatar photo was taken, and I don't want that to happen again. I'm about to start sparring full contact again so I've been working my abs like crazy. A couple of hard round kicks or hooks to the body are good motivation to do sit-ups!

so you not going to let someone take your picture again.