Is coconut meat healthy?

andgbr

Everything I've read says they're healthy. In moderation, anyway.

Today, I had my first taste of "young coconut" and it's amazingly different in flavor and texture from the meat of the brown coconuts we usually see in stores. I can't remember where I found the info (I'll post a link if I locate it) but they are also drastically different nutrition-wise, as well. It was rather a pain to bust into - maybe there's an easier way to open than how I did it? In any case, it was well worth the effort. Delicious.

The young coconut meat was oh-so-good in a smoothie with some fresh cut pineapple, banana, lemon, and a bit of vanilla.

Here's a site I found with links to a bunch of articles and research about coconut: http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

Everything I've read says they're healthy. In moderation, anyway.

Today, I had my first taste of "young coconut" and it's amazingly different in flavor and texture from the meat of the brown coconuts we usually see in stores. I can't remember where I found the info (I'll post a link if I locate it) but they are also drastically different nutrition-wise, as well. It was rather a pain to bust into - maybe there's an easier way to open than how I did it? In any case, it was well worth the effort. Delicious.

The young coconut meat was oh-so-good in a smoothie with some fresh cut pineapple, banana, lemon, and a bit of vanilla.

Here's a site I found with links to a bunch of articles and research about coconut: http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

the young coconut usually has more water and less meat, but it's way better than the one we buy in store.. in my opinion.. it's also easier to open.. i wish they selled them here.. but they only sell the canned ones.. it's not the same thing..

I haven't had a good coconut in the mainland US...ever!!! Those brown husked ones are way too old and the flesh is way too tough...also the water is way too sweet. The young ones I've had have a funny taste to them and are really tiny...luckily for a lot of you forum members...you don't have good coconuts to compare them too