Grip exercises.

Static holds with a barbell are very good.

Set up a barbell in a rack, so that it is about 3-4 inches under your deadlift lockout height. Then load 100-150% of your deadlift max (or 70-100% if using double overhand grip) and hold for sets of 20seconds.

Finger curls are also useful. Hold a barbell infront in deadlift lockout position. Then roll the barbell down your fingers until on your finger tips. Then curl your hand up and finish with a wrist curl. Start with 20-30kg for 12-15 reps innitially, and up the weight gradually.

Plate pinch gripping - take 2-3 5kg plates and pinch grip them in the vertical position (with the smooth sides of the plate facing out). Once you have mastered 3 5's, move on to 2 10's. You can do holds of 10-20sec or pass them from hand to hand. Just make sure you are doing this over a padded floor.

Hanging for time on a chinup bar is well worth doing. Aim for sets of one minute.

There are of course grippers, which are excellent for developing crushing grip, but then you have to buy them. I was just sticking to exercises that you can easily do in the gym.

Grip strength increases quickly. One guy on veganfitness was stuck with his grip on deads, did the static holds for about 10 days, and increased his deadlift from 125kg to 150kg.

Jonathan

First one - yep - hold onto a heavy bar.

Second one - the grip is overhand

Oh I did it today underhand....as if you did it overhand it would be a reverse wrist curl!

It was tough!

Oh hang on I just re-read your suggested exercise you mean standing, I did it sitting with my forearms rested on my legs. I will try standing next time, not sure I will be able to do it with 20kg to be honest.

Oh I did it today underhand....as if you did it overhand it would be a reverse wrist curl!

It was tough!

Oh hang on I just re-read your suggested exercise you mean standing, I did it sitting with my forearms rested on my legs. I will try standing next time, not sure I will be able to do it with 20kg to be honest.

Apologies if Im wrong, but I think you might have missunderstood the exercise. You are not supposed to have the arms straight out from the body, but hanging down, just like in the lockout possition of a deadlift.

It was tough!

Apologies if Im wrong, but I think you might have missunderstood the exercise. You are not supposed to have the arms straight out from the body, but hanging down, just like in the lockout possition of a deadlift.

Yeah I've got the idea now, but thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

A good forearm exercise is to be in that sitting position with your forearms on your legs and your hands hanging off your knees. Have your hands facing away from you, holding a barbell and essentially you take the lowest position of finger curls, with your fingers only gripping the bar and hold it there as long as possible. It really burns up your forearms after maybe 60 seconds. I do these after three sets of finger curls, and I've seen good progress so far.

• 1 year later...
Or I exercise for many hours (at work or while watching a movie) with a gripper.

This is a good way to get a repetitive strain injury, not a good way to train grip.

I agree with WB. I only use a Captain of Crush Gripper 2 session a week on two seperate days. It only takes me a few minutes each session including rest b/t sets.

Other people have told me Towel Pull-ups are excellent.

• 1 month later...
Or I exercise for many hours (at work or while watching a movie) with a gripper.

This is a good way to get a repetitive strain injury, not a good way to train grip.

Not to mention, if you can rep a gripper for hours on end, it will do you as much good to gain strength and size as it would to curl a can of soup for thousands of repetitions

If you can rep a gripper over and over for a length of time, you're due to move to a stronger challenge. Grip is like anything else - just because someone could do 500 push-ups in a set does not mean they can bench 500 lbs. even if the basic movement is the same (in fact, such a person may barely be able to bench double bodyweight when tested), and grippers are the same way. Hundreds or thousands of reps will not necessarily translate to being able to carry over to a much harder gripper or better test of hand strength, so it is just as important to train grip progressively as you would any other body part.