Tanning

robert

Ok...so I only tan when I get ready for a bodybuilding contest. I basically spray stuff on me a few days before and then everyday after that until the contest. Normally, I'm really pale. I'm Scandinavian/Canadian and other mixtures that make me pale, and I don't tan real easily.

Anyway, now I'm in a position where I need to be tanned on a regular basis for photo shoots, appearances and other opportunities.

I've never used a tanning bed in my life but I'm thinking it might be a quick and easy way.

I don't mean to sound like a sell-out for tanning and changing my natural skin color, but in the sport of bodybuilding and in the industry of modeling, it is just the way things are, and that is where the money is, which I really need and will put to a very good use.

I'm not sure if I want to mess around with sprays, and creams, although I know some of them are vegan such as Pro Tan. So I was thinking tanning beds might be the way to go.

Any advice or feedback for me? I've always been scared of them in the past. Can anyone share experiences?

Thanks!

Thanks. Yeah, I'm curious as to what "dangers" there are because I hear about that all the time. Possibly causing cancers, etc. I know people who have "fake tanned" for many many years but I've never talked to them about how their skin feels or if it wrinkles more, etc.

I prefer natural sun light but I live in Portland and it's winter time I just have a lot going on in 2007 and I'm getting more and more in front of a camera or on stage or in some capacity needed to be in shape.

I'm still "bulking" to some degree but I'm still a lean machine when I need to be as well.

Thanks for all info already and thanks in advance to anyone else. It's after 3AM and I should sleep now.

Honestly I'm not so sure of the dangers. However, your skin is your largest organ and needs to be cared for as well, putting chemicals all over it consistently just doesn't sound good... I wouldn't personally use either option, but since it's somewhat of a necessity for you, i'd go for a tanning bed with moderation. Hopefully someone who knows a bit more will post.

I tan. Not much too it. Start off really slow depending on your skin tone. Robert since you are really light, prob 12 min to start then you can go back in 3 days for 13 (if you didn't burn) and build up to 20. Some beds allow up to 30min, but I don't recommend it. If you wait too long when you first strart you risk having to start all over, so be sure to go often enough to get your base.

You do not want to burn...ever. That does the most damage to your skin. I was told the most damage is done in the initial 5 min of the tan. This is when your body can't defend itself. The actual scientific wording from him escapes me at the moment. Anyway the point is. I cover my face the first 5 min to prevent excess damage to my face (aging). I personally don't use any lotion on my face or body core. The extremities are most resistant to tan, so I use it there. I also stay away from tanning lotions with bronzers in them. No matter what they say I always notice streaks on my hands when I use bronzers.

Finally, take off all clothing and jewelry or you'll have tan lines. And FLIP! You need to change position ever so often or you won't tan under you arms, under the crease where your legs meet your bottom, etc. I tan on my stomach and then flip halfway through and finally lift/move certain areas to help make everthing even. Oh and the bed closes on top of you like a coffin, unless you are in a standing bed. Just an FYI, since I have known rookie tanners to make that mistake.

Be sure the salon is CLEAN and you can see they actually use the supplies. The beds should be cleaned after each use and the goggles. You can pick up things from the beds and goggles if they aren't clean.

If the salon doesn't have music you can bring an MP3 with you to make time go by faster. Just watch your tan lines.

Happy Tanning!

I'm not sure if I want to mess around with sprays, and creams, although I know some of them are vegan such as Pro Tan. So I was thinking tanning beds might be the way to go.

Just because they're vegan doesn't mean they're safe and healthy to use. I'm personally wary of putting anything on my skin that I couldn't eat, since the skin absorbs so much into the bloodstream. (Otherwise, those drug-delivery "patches" would never work!) I don't think tanning beds are particularly healthy, but they might ultimately be safer than the sprays and creams.

My first job after massage school was in a tanning salon, so I learned a little bit about tanning beds/booths in passing and a lot about the skin of tanners during the massage sessions. There were quite a few chronic tanners whose backs felt like they were covered in leather. At first, I thought it was due to longterm exposure... until I had someone who had been tanning constantly for 20 years whose skin was in much better shape than someone who was barely 20 years old, one right after the other so it was easy to compare. So, I think that probably proper diet/hydration and liberal use of moisturizer (I recommend coconut oil) will keep your skin healthy. There may also be some supplement that helps combat the aging effects of tanning, but I don't know what it might be.

Start off really slow depending on your skin tone. Robert since you are really light, prob 12 min to start then you can go back in 3 days for 13 (if you didn't burn) and build up to 20. Some beds allow up to 30min, but I don't recommend it.
Definitely start out slow even if you've already got a bit of color, or you'll end up burned in places that don't generally see the sun. (Yes, I learned this the hard way once and burned my butt. Literally.) Be aware, also, that not all tanning beds are created equal. Some have more bulbs, stronger bulbs, special reflective stuff behind the bulbs, face tanners, etc... plus the bulbs are MUCH stronger if they've been changed recently. I tanned a bit while I worked at that tanning salon, and I found that about 6 minutes for the first session was my limit, and I generally tan fairly easily.

Regular exfoliation will also help you get a nice even tan. You probably already know this, though, as exfoliation is especially important with the paint-on stuff too. They'll probably try to sell you some overpriced fruity smelling pre-tan exfoliating shower scrub with questionable ingredients, but you can make your own out of stuff that's in the kitchen, or just use a loofah.

That being said, I really don't like that unnaturally dark look that seems to be mandatory in the industry these days. A tan is OK, but I think some moderation would be so much more attractive.

I'm just concerned about the health issues associated with tanning....also how you may shorten the span where people want to photograph you.

Tanning beds are definitely no good for you...

Premature Ageing, Skin damage, risk of skin cancer.

Coming from the country that has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, A lot of study has been done into sun beds as an alternative to natural sun, and the conclusion was, it's just as bad for you...

I say go the spray tan, every time...

Once you begin to even tan a little bit(anything beyond a modest tint of change) you've already had more than enough sun for nutritional purposes...anything more will increase your chances of cancer, spots and leatherface

alternative to natural sun, and the conclusion was, it's just as bad for you...

Real sun is necessary, and healthy in moderation. It isn't bad for you until you overdo it.

The figures they have been quoting here is 10mins of unprotected exposure, for vitamin D etc...

When you think about it, this isn't much at all... Walking to the shop etc will give you that... Lying in the sun, baking yourself, just isn't good...

(Skin damage on high UV days can occur in as little as 3 minutes!!!!)

Check out this link, it highlights the benefits of Sun as well as the dangers.

It is mostly concerning vitamin D, but you get the idea.

http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/editorial.asp?pageid=2112

Thanks for the info.

So, does coconut oil really work? How fast does it work? What kind should I get?

I'd like to try it before I try anything else. Are there any other kinds of oils that work well?

I'll actually go try this tomorrow. Any last minute tips for me?

So, does coconut oil really work? How fast does it work? What kind should I get?

It works for keeping the skin nice and moist, which helps counteract the drying effects of tanning. It's oil, so it should work pretty much immediately. Just be sure to moisturize at least once or twice a day if you're gonna cook your skin.

Virgin coconut oil. I like Nutiva brand - but anything that's "virgin" should be ok. It's most definitely the best moisturizer I've found. I use it for everything... facial moisturizer, all-over body moisturizer, lip gloss, cooking, massage oil, and some other things. In very small quantities, it's also a great hair conditioner.

Put it on right after you get out of the shower, before you've completely dried off so the coconut oil can seal in the moisture. Regular lotions have junk in them to make them absorb quicker (and ironically, some of that junk ultimately dries out the skin) so unlike most lotions, you can expect to stand around for a few minutes after application and before getting dressed. Towel off any excess... and you're set.

Hey buddy, I'll start a new thread because I've learned a lot about this and what I learned last year saved me SO MUCH TIME, MONEY and PAIN!

I'm going to the gym shortly, then meeting up with loveliberate, but I'll get on this later tonight or tomorrow.

But I do have some helpful tips!