Vegan Vacation 2007 Location?

robert

Where would you like to see the Vegan Vacation held?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I haven't put much time and energy into the planning of the Vegan Vacation for 2007, but I realize it is 8 months away and we need to start looking into dates and locations.

For recaps of the event last year visit this section of the forum:

viewforum.php?f=27

There have only been a couple of cities mentioned so for now I'll just leave few options and I'll wait for feedback.

I know I'll end up doing most of the organizing, but I'd love a small team, or committee once we get some details worked out.

Please share any feedback.

I know only a small number of people from the forum will most likely be able attend but I'm open to suggestions whether you can come or not. I'm also aware that not everyone is interested, but it should be a pretty fun gathering of forum members to meet, hang out and get to know one another in person. We had a fun time last year with our small group and this year should have at least twice as many people attend.

Thanks.

Edited by robert

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost put Pittsburgh on the ballot, and I still could. I just didn't want to burden michaelhobson, veganmadre, or others with the organizing of the event

It is somewhat of a big task putting it on and since there are already about two dozen members here in Portland and many in nearby cities, and since I live here, it makes it easier for me to organize and find assistants to help organize it.

But we'll see what the response is. Maybe we will head out that way. I think in a couple of weeks we'll get a good feel for the dates and locations.

Thanks for the input!

I still like Portland...I can imagine many more people would be involved with earlier notice...I was more than pleased with the experience last year and you didn't really organize very early for it so I can imagine really good turn out this year if its in Portland. For me it would be much easier to attend since I plan on being there already and LA is kinda pricey to do anything. Either way something really big has to prevent me from taking part...unless its in Mexico or something. Is it still gonna be an early August Gig???

Pittsburgh would be a drive for us, and given our painful experience flying out to Portland last time, I'm almost inclined to vote for the steel city. However, Portland was pretty awesome and we'd love to go back. We even apartment shop on Portland's craiglist page sometimes, just for fun

I say Portland just because organizing is a major undertaking. I don't think there is a core group big enough anywhere else. We have an awesome crew here in Pittsburgh, but not a lot of fitness folks.

Zack, I hear you on Asheville. Are you close by? I lived in Asheville for a year, love that place but near impossible to earn a living. We would definitely be interested in a meetup there some time, Tiffaney has never been and I will use any excuse to go back from time to time.

Rico12, you're welcome in Pittsburgh any time. Check out our events at http://vegan.meetup.com/399/ or just come for a visit. Or Odidnetne frequents Scranton, you cats could meet up some time. We're hoping to make it out that way in March, I'll let you know, maybe we can stop by and say hello or pick you up on our way to East.

Thanks for all the feedback. I know we've only had 15 votes or so up until this point, so I'll give it another 10 days or more to get more votes in.

For me, and those who can help organize, Portland would be the best place.

Portland is also the most sustainable city in America, the #1 Vegan-friendly city in America, and has been voted as the #1 overall city for health, outdoors, and lots of other things.

For other reasons as to "why Portland?" you can visit these threads from last year:

viewtopic.php?t=3054

viewtopic.php?t=3667

viewtopic.php?t=3687

All that being said, I'm open to any suggestions....but keep in mind, wherever the location is, someone will have to be able to do all of the organizing. It is a pretty major task and I don't mind doing it again this year for Portland. I have a great team of helpers and that team got a whole lot bigger over the past 6 months and will get even bigger over the next 7 months until the gathering.

Please, continue to cast votes, give city locations and suggestions.

We'll start a whole new section sometime in the future, since this is our largest annual forum-member event.

Thanks!

Just something to think about.

Please consider the amount of planning that goes on. For example, here is the itinerary from last year.

This year will be much more relaxed, probably one event per day, but you can see how many things needed to be arranged ahead of time (speakers, presenters, sponsors, locations, reserving restaurants, flyering, housing people, etc.).

Again, I'm more than happy to host it again in Portland. We are the city with the most #1's as far as I know and some are important ones like #1 most sustainable, #1 vegan-friendly, #1 biking, walking, public transportation, etc.

A look at last year's schedule:

Vegan Vacation Schedule (Events are subject to change, so check itinerary often)

Thursday, August 3

Date: Thursday, August 3rd

When: 7PM-10PM

What: Welcome Dinner

Where: TBA, (check back for updates)

Why: To meet up with other participants of the Vegan Vacation and kick off the week with a fun gathering and great food!

Location and Directions: TBA, (check back for updates)

What to bring: Money for dinner, there should be a fairly low-cost Vegan Vacation “special” offered.

What will be provided: Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

Contact person: Robert Cheeke, 541-231-6269 cell, [email protected]

Friday, August 4

Date: Friday, August 4th

When: 9AM-12PM

What: Hike/Picnic/fitness contests (pull-ups, push-ups)

Where: Mount Tabor (SE Portland)

Why: To burn off the calories from the night before! To enjoy nature, view the city from Mt. Tabor, chat and get to know other vegans, enjoy a picnic, and participate in some fun fitness contests, taking advantage of the pull-up bars and other equipment at the park. Other attractions include bike trails, basketball court, kid’s playground, etc.

Location and Directions: Coming soon

What to bring: Water bottle (it will be hot), sunscreen, some personal snacks such as energy bars, etc.

What will be provided: Food for picnic; and Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

Date: Friday, August 4

When: 5PM -7PM

What: Weight Training session

Where: West Coast Fitness (Alberta)

Why: To train with lots of other vegan athletes, push some iron around, and have fun.

Location and Directions: 27th and Alberta in Northeast Portland

What to bring: $5 to get into the gym as a guest of Robert Cheeke, gym clothes (shorts and t-shirt *Vegan Bodybuilding t-shirt if you have one*), water bottle, etc.

What will be provided: Sweaty men and women pushing heavy weights! And good times, oh…and Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

Date: Friday, August 4

When: 8PM-10PM

What: Movie Night (movie TBA)

Where: Special Host Location, RSVP for directions (22-person limit so register early)

Why: To hang out, relax after working out, enjoy company of other vegans and watch an educational film.

Location and Directions: RSVP by contacting Robert Cheeke via phone or e-mail to sign up (22-person limit)

What to bring: Yourself

What will be provided: Chef Al’s Vegan Snacks, beverages, and of course: Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

Saturday, August 5

Date: Saturday, August 5

When: 9AM-11AM

What: Morning Running or cycling

Where: Mount Tabor

Why: To get out in the crisp/warm morning and exercise outdoors with fellow vegans

Location and Directions: Coming soon

What to bring: Running shoes, bike, bike gear, water bottle, etc.

What will be provided: Cycling leader and running leader, Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

When: 11:30AM-1:30PM

What: Cooking Demo by Vegan Chef Al! Tasting and vegan food samples will be provided. 22-person limit, so register early!

Where: Special Host Location, RSVP by Tuesday August 1st by contacting Robert via phone or e-mail to register. (22-person limit)

Why: Learn from one of the world’s best vegan chefs!

Locations and Directions: RSVP Robert for details

What to bring: Your wonder and curiosity, notepad, pen, and camera.

What will be provided: Cooking demonstration by the one and only Chef Al! Tasting and vegan food samples, and… Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

When: 2PM-6PM

What: Trip to Farm Sanctuary in Salem

Where: Salem, OR (State Capitol). Meet at The Daily Grind on 40th and Hawthorne in SE at 2PM to carpool. Or meet at Farm Sanctuary at approx 3PM. We will depart between 5-6PM.

Why: To visit the animals and people and donate our love and our time.

Location and Directions: Directions listed soon.

What to bring: Your love.

What will be provided: An opportunity to have a very rewarding time with your fellow vegans and animals, And… Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

When: 7PM-10PM

What: Tour of Portland, hosted by vegan residents

Where: Meet in SE Portland at The Daily Grind, 40th and Hawthorne

Why: See the vegan hot spots in the #1 Vegan-friendly city in America!

Location and Directions: TBA, coming soon.

What to bring: Your camera, some spending cash if you want, and your happy self!

What will be provided: A tour of our great city, good company, and Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

Sunday, August 6

Date: Sunday, August 6

When: Meet at 9AM at the Daily Grind (40th & Hawthorne in SE Portland) for carpool to the Oregon Coast, or meet at Cannon Beach at approximately 11AM. We will depart around 6PM and many of us will go out to dinner afterwards at a location most likely decided while at the Coast. It depends on when we actually get around to leaving, traffic, etc. so we don’t want to set a time back in Portland and then be late. Again, if you don’t go to the Coast but want to join us for a dinner just call the contact info number and you’ll get updates.

What: Trip to the Oregon Coast

Where: Cannon Beach

Why: To explore the Coast along the Pacific Ocean, spend a day with vegan friends and families.

Location and Directions: TBA

What to bring: Family, friends, camera, food for lunch/snacks, swimming trunks or bathing suit, sunscreen, donation suggested if you are carpooling

What will be provided: Coordinators will provide a fun environment with some activities for those who wish to participate in, such as beach volleyball, sand castle making contest, picnic, relay races, photo ops, etc. And Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

Date: Sunday, August 6

When: 10PM-midnight

What: Movie night at Dave’s house (Vegan Vacation Headquarters).

Where: 12th and Ainsworth in NE Portland, call for specific address

Why: To hang out together, we if can still stand each other after all day at the beach. To wind down and watch a comedy movie, or perhaps the movie Pumping Iron.

Location and Directions: 12th and Ainsworth, call for house number

What to bring: Yourself.

What will be provided: Vegan Snacks, good times, most likely laughter and people snoring, and of course… Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

Monday, August 7

Date: Monday, August 7

When: 11AM-1PM

What: Weight Training Session

Where: West Coast Fitness (Lombard)

Why: To train with lots of other vegan athletes, push some iron around, and have fun.

Location and Directions: Lombard street near St. Johns area.

What to bring: $5 to get into the gym as a guest of Robert Cheeke, gym clothes (shorts and t-shirt *Vegan Bodybuilding t-shirt if you have one*), water bottle, etc.

What will be provided: Sweaty men and women pushing heavy weights! And good times, oh…and Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

When: 1:30PM-3:00PM

What: Post-workout lunch at Proper Eats!

Where: Proper Eats in St. Johns, just minutes from the gym on Lombard

Why: Because Proper Eats totally rocks! And we’ll be hungry after training. Others who don’t come to the gym are also welcome!

Location and Directions: Lombard and Alta in St. John’s (North Portland)

What to bring: An empty stomach

What will be provided: Some of the awesomest food in Portland made by some of the coolest people! And, Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

When: 7-8PM

What: Nutrition talk on the healing properties of exotic fruits. Complimentary samples included. Vegan Snacks provided.

Where: TBA, check back for updates

Why: To learn about natural foods that could dramatically improve your health.

Location and Directions: TBA

What to bring: A notepad and pen,

What will be provided: Complimentary samples of nature’s powerful healing foods, vegan snacks, good company, and Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

Tuesday, August 8

Date: Tuesday, August 8

When: 9AM-11AM

What: Morning Yoga/Pilates

Why: To stretch and be limber and hang out with the crew.

Location and Directions: TBA, check back for updates

What to bring: A yoga mat if you have one, athletic clothes (shorts and t-shirt, sweats, etc.), water bottle, and your enthusiastic selves.

What will be provided: Yoga and Pilates instruction, vegan snacks, and Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

When: 1PM-3PM

What: Outreach, passing out vegan literature downtown Portland

Where: Pioneer Square, 6th and Yamhill

Why: To impact our community and educate the citizens about the vegan lifestyle

Location and Directions: 6th and Yamhill, downtown at Pioneer Square

What to bring: Yourself, literature will be provided. Wear a vegan shirt if you want.

What will be provided: Vegan literature (supplied by Peta , Vegan Outreach, and Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness. We’ll also have Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

When: 7-9PM

What: Vegan Parenting talk/discussion

Why: It is an important topic to discuss

What to bring: Notepad and a pen, and open mind and your questions

What will be provided: A panel of vegan parents and other cool vegans chatting about raising vegan families. And….Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

Wednesday, August 9

Date: Wednesday, August 9

When: 10AM-12PM

What: Strongman/strongwoman competition/kids fitness contests

Where: Dave’s house (Vegan Vacation Headquarters) or TBA, possibly a local park

Why: To see who is the strongest, of course! And to have fun!

What to bring: Attitude, pure attitude, plus anything else you feel like you’ll need to be stronger that day. We suggest Spinach, Vega, or more Vega.

What will be provided: A fun atmosphere and awards for the winners of this fun challenge. And…. Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

Date: Wednesday, August 9

When: 8PM-Until you say goodbye (they’ll be open late)

What: Closing, farewell dinner and silent auction

Where: Pirate’s Tavern (vegan restaurant) in North Portland

Why: To spend one last night hanging out, to say goodbye, to say farewell.

Location and Directions: Coming soon.

What to bring: Money for dinner, a camera, an address book, a notepad and pen, a tissue to wipe away goodbye tears, and a big heart and big smile, knowing we’ll see each other again at a future vegan vacation.

What will be provided: A great atmosphere and happy times, and one last event with Veg Dining Guides, Vega bars, itineraries for the rest of the week, vegan literature, and other various pieces of useful information.

Hi Robert-

That was a ton of work. And there was more to VV than just planning events - there was also the stress of making sure that out-of-towners like us were comfortable and not walking around Portland in a daze. I think you did a great job at that as well as at organizing all the events.

I like the idea of one event per day.

I think out-of-towners like us will be much less dependent and can even help take care of new out-of-towners, show them around a bit.

Maybe locals there can volunteer to be in charge of the one event each day, and they in turn can get help from others. I'd be more than happy to help, and feel a little more qualified to do so now that I know the lay of the land a bit better.

I'll already be there for a couple months by the time it starts so I'm game to organize some bike rides if we get a few more cyclist to come along...no whimps...you all have to be willing to get on the bike at 7am...maybe 8am if you make me breakfast. I'm also game to organize a potluck or two...or maybe a not so wild vegan friendly keg party.

Great! We'll have helpers! It seems as though we're leaning towards Portland again....which is great, but we'll still give it time for others to speak up and give ideas.

I like the idea of doing just 1 event per day to give lots of down time for exploration, doing our own thing, hanging out, relaxing, gym sessions, etc.

Last year was pretty hectic as you can tell from the intinerary. I mean, we did some amazing things, but it was just busy and too much. I'm sure everyone would agree. It was especially difficult for me.

In the event that we will indeed end up here in Portalnd, I'll start looking around for a lodge for us to stay at and I'll start brainstrorming some events.

We'll get a new section started soon.

Thanks!

Great! I look forward to it. We won't make you sleep in a tent, unless you get out of line. We have lots of fun out here so if we do indeed end up in Portland you'll get plenty of sun, have more vegan places to go than you can imagine and you'll meet a lot of cool people.

P.S. If you do end up in a tent, I'll make sure it's a two person tent and as the organizer, I'll volunteer to keep you company

Okay, since there's going to be opportunity for lifting I'll have to see if I can find a way to get out there for a few days I'll be persuaded even further if veganpotter can make that kegger a solid part of the schedule

If I make it up and you need any help setting up or running a strongman comp just let me know - I'm always happy to assist when I actually have an idea about what's going on (which isn't really all that often )

Great! I know I'll see you in a few weeks in Anaheim, but I'd love to see you this summer too!

Of course there will be lifting. Last year I hurt my back, but Crystal, Daywalker, potter, and others lifted. We did all kinds of things, but this year it will be more relaxed in general, more haning out, we'll try to all stay together in a lodge or some sort of facility we'll rent, etc.

I assume it will be in Portland, which is an amazing place. You'll have fun here. I think it will be fairly well attended, and we also do a number of community events. Last year our opening dinner party had 55 people, so that was a great way to kick it off. After that it was a core group of 15 or so and we had up to 40 come to other events.

This year I think we'll all stay together in one location and then still do some community events as well. So we'll get plenty of time to "be together" but still involve the community with some events.

Thanks for your interest.