Vegan Vacation 2006

robert

jonathan, jp, hobson, tom, and I invented extreme hanging out, cause we like to chill around a lot, ya know?

all of that sounds awesome! I'll pass on the snorkelling and sail boating though. instead I will replace those with bodyboarding/surfing.

we should totally have a bike ride around the island as well.

what about wakeboarding? windsurfing? bodyboarding/surfing?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will,

Does that mean you won't be joining us?

I want to, and I know my wife has wanted to go the Virgin Islands for a long time, but it's hard to say right now whether we'd be able to go or not. I got my grades back from my summer classes in law school and it looks like they weren't high enough to keep my scholarship (and there's no way I can afford the 27k a year in tuition if I lose my scholarship), so I'm applying for jobs now and not sure what my situation is going to be like in 2006. I'll know more as we get closer to the date of the trip. What's the latest date to RSVP?

Will,

I want to, and I know my wife has wanted to go the Virgin Islands for a long time, but it's hard to say right now whether we'd be able to go or not. I got my grades back from my summer classes in law school and it looks like they weren't high enough to keep my scholarship (and there's no way I can afford the 27k a year in tuition if I lose my scholarship), so I'm applying for jobs now and not sure what my situation is going to be like in 2006. I'll know more as we get closer to the date of the trip. What's the latest date to RSVP?

Sorry to hear that will...

Sorry to hear that Will, I hope you don't lose your scholarship.

Keep us updated. We are all an extended-vegan-family I hope all works out just fine.

*Topher.....how did I forget about biking around?????? I had some of the most fun times biking around the Caribbean with my good friend Leonard a few years ago.

Also...how did I forget about bodyboarding, I had a Blast doing that too!

Have any of you checked out photos of St. Thomas? I posted a link to some above......some photos are awesome! When I get more time, I'll post more so people can see what this place looks like. Not that it is the Final decision on where we are going, just my vote as the most "perfect" place for a vegan vacation for all of us.

Thanks ya'll for listing activities to do.

-Robert

Will,

Will, keep your chin up. You are a VERY intellignet man, and I have no doubt that you will make a kickass lawyer. The animals need you.

Hope everything works out the way you need it to, and winning the lottery wouldnt hurt either.

Sunbathing - lot's of it

Topher & Nat - so what are the sheep you are used to on your side of the water doing if they are not walking around? Are they just sitting there, confined to pens or already dead? Yep, we have loadsa sheep who just walk around and be sheep in the UK, until they lose their fleece and get taken to the abattoir....

dude, ive never seen sheep like that just walking around. that was crazy.

Whaaaaaattttttttt? SHeep walking around? WHy? How? when? Where?

Tell me!!!!!

Aww that must have been so awesssome to see! I hope no harm comes to them.

We spent a lovely afternoon napping in a sheep pasture, practicing yoga and climbing trees.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/michaelhobson/4c11.jpg

Sunbathing - lot's of it

Topher & Nat - so what are the sheep you are used to on your side of the water doing if they are not walking around? Are they just sitting there, confined to pens or already dead? Yep, we have loadsa sheep who just walk around and be sheep in the UK, until they lose their fleece and get taken to the abattoir....

yep confined to fenced in areas. I grew up around farms and friends with sheep so ive seen em before. I just never seen em roam like that and hangout.

Will, keep your chin up. You are a VERY intellignet man, and I have no doubt that you will make a kickass lawyer. The animals need you.

Hope everything works out the way you need it to, and winning the lottery wouldnt hurt either.

You are very kind with your compliments. However, after studying law for a semester, I've come to the realization that I may not have been meant to be a lawyer after all; I think my talents might be better in used in, for example, a graduate program in nutrition. I qualify for the Outstanding Scholars program for Federal Jobs and I have good work experience/references; so no worries, everything will work out fine. The only reason I brought it up here is that I'm not sure where I'll be living or if I'll have vacation time next summer, so I can't say for sure about going on the trip next year.

Like I said, Will, you are very VERY smart man and I have no doubt whatsoever that whatever career path you choose, you will prosper and succeed.

I really hope that your circumstances permit you and your family to come to the vegan vacation that vegan bodybuilding is kind enough to be sponsoring next year. I would love to meet and hang out with your son!!!

have a great day.

Tarz,

Come to think of it, I dont think I have ever seen a live sheep before. Only a dead, skinned, whole lamb (woith its eyeballs anad everything) draped across a man's shoulders who was taking the poor animal home for Thanksgiving (Greeks eat a lot of lamb, especially for "frestive" reasons).

But I think that like Tpher said, the sheep in NorthAmerica are prolly fenced up, awaiting slaughter.

Thanks for posting that pic Michael - how awesome is that that sheep have that kind of freedom in the UK? I would LOVE to hang out in a sheep pasture.

By the way Tarz, what is an abbattoir? Sounds cruel.

Hey Nat,

Are you of Greek descent, or maybe you have just holidayed in Greece??

Yeah, people in this country go ahhhh when they see the lambs in the fields each spring, and then they happily eat them a few weeks later

An abattoir is another word for slaughterhouse, so yeah extremely cruel....

Thanks for posting that pic Michael - how awesome is that that sheep have that kind of freedom in the UK? I would LOVE to hang out in a sheep pasture.

Even more awesome than the sheep having freedom is the people having freedom. We were abled to wander around the sheep fields as we pleased. There are no "No Trespassing" signs and nobody came out to yell at us. I think "walker's rights" are taken pretty seriously in the UK. People seem to have a good bit of respect for other's property too, which makes the system more practical than it would be in the U.S.

In the UK, the Ramblers association (hard core radical group ), managed to convince the government to pass a "Right to roam" law. If you aren't doing damage to crops, you can get most anywhere, unless the owner think they have good reason & get an area excluded (like Madonna did- or tried to, don't know how that turned out- around one of her shooting estates that surrounds one of her homes).

Too many land-owners where closing footpaths, blocking rights of ways etc, like the selfish people they often are.

But, yea, closing gates, not littering etc is the norm for most walkers. Leave a few footprints & nothing else & most landowners wont make a fuss.

• 2 weeks later...

Vegan Vacation Planning Committee

Hello there vegan friends. I am wondering if any of you want to be on the 2006 Vegan Fitness Team Vacation Planning Committee. I will be on it, and I’m looking for a group of others to help with selecting an exact location, dates, activities, expenses, etc. This event is planned for the summer of 2006 so we have entire year, and I’m sure we’ll add more people to the planning committee and many more to the list of individuals who hope to attend. But I wanted to get a core group of people established within the next month or so who want to help put all the details together.

If you’re interested, just reply here and then we’ll form a group this fall and we’ll be in touch though e-mails and get the ball rolling.

Thanks everyone for your interest so far.

-Robert

I wouldn't mind putting some energy in to this, although the anarchist in me despises the word "committee". But, I think I can live with it.

Our earlier conversations seem to have leaned heavily toward St. Thomas for a destination. Is there anyone who objects to St. Thomas or has another location in mind that should be considered?

I'm already excited for Vegan Vacation 2006.

Our earlier conversations seem to have leaned heavily toward St. Thomas for a destination. Is there anyone who objects to St. Thomas or has another location in mind that should be considered?

Yeah, actually I do, although I don't have any idea if I could or would be going to any given location, so I don't know how much gravity anyone should be giving my objection. I don't mind the Caribbean, but I won't be going to St. Thomas.

Yeah, actually I do, although I don't have any idea if I could or would be going to any given location, so I don't know how much gravity anyone should be giving my objection. I don't mind the Caribbean, but I won't be going to St. Thomas.

Something against St. Thomas? Or do you have a better location in mind?

i have to say that i find it pretty funny that of all the islands in the carribean, you guys are suggesting an american one!

i mean i get sick of british culture, and american culture is far more intense. live a little, there are thousands of cool islands to choose from.

i suggest cuba!

jonathan