Removing body hair for bodybuilding competitions

robert

This topic came up so I'll tackle it.

In the early years I used to just shave my legs with a razor. It would take forever, cut me up and I'd have to go through multiple razors because my leg hair would just clog it up. I would use soap, lotions, etc. but it wasn't the best way.

Then about a year or two ago I decided to use some hair clippers and buzz my legs. That was the best thing I ever did! I don't put any guard on it, so it gets down really close to the skin, doesn't hurt at all, and only takes a couple of minutes per leg.

Then from their, you can shave with a razor and it is super quick, easy and painless. No more major slices in my legs! I also recommend shaving down with the hair, rather than against it. Shaving against it, gets a closer shave, but it can also cut you to pieces.

1. Buzz with electronic clippers (as cheap as $9.99 for a whole set, don't spend more than $25 on them)

2. Use a razor and shave down. Use vegan soap or lotion. I always do it in the shower or bath. Warm the skin up before shaving it.

3. Your ready to apply tanning lotion or spray.

Note: I shave my arms, chest, stomach, etc. year round daily so I'm all set there. But if you don't, just use those clippers and buzz everything which only takes seconds, then a razor can easily take care of the rest.

I hope that helps.

I just run really fast through a burning house

it's similar to my method, instead of a burning house i use a cord that tie to my body hair, and then i pull everything at once.. no burning necessary.

Wow, that sounds much more practical. But then you don't get to burn anything, so I dunno

Clippers are the way to go! I have no body hair except my head and eyebrows and sometimes I do the beard thing.

It's just my own thing, I've been hairless for quite a few years. Legs are often a pain, but not anymore. Not thanks to the clippers, the buzz it pretty much down to the skin with no irritation.

Yeah, I can move it there. I'm actually going to put it in a special category coming soon. It was brought up in the men's health section so I just started a new thread here so the member looking for my reply could find it easily.

I'm thinking of eliminating a category or two and moving those messages elsewhere and starting one more really specific one. I try to make the categories as specific as possible so people can find exactly what they are looking for.

Example:

Rather than just Nutrition, I broke it down to Nutrition Programs, Vitamins Mineral and Supplements, and Raw Foods/lifesyle.

Same thing with the fitness related stuff (beginners, fitness and training, bodybuilding specific, powerlifting specific, etc.).

Good suggestion and I'll work on moving some things and give you guys a heads up when the changes have been made. Thanks.

I haven't noticed, and I've been doing it for many years. But I'm not realy hairy in the first place, so it's hard to say for sure.

There is a chance of in-grown hairs which are a pain, and sometimes a little rash from the clothing rubbing against stubble, but recently I haven't noticed any issues and I totally shaved my body, including legs about a week ago. Some photo shoots coming up so I was getting ready.

Glad the info is helpful.

I'm not a huge fan of stubble or prickly's but I get them too. I shave my arms, stomach and chest pretty much everyday or every other day so I don't have that problem, it's just those legs that I have to deal with.

This may sound silly, but I have wondered for years......is waxing vegan? What is the wax made out of? I've waxed before, about 5 years ago and it was extremely painful!

What about nair? Is that vegan-friendly? I just want to nair-nuke myself and just be super smooth.

GiGi (which is the brand most salons use, I think) has a hemp wax which sounds promising, but I can't find a list of ingredients on their site or anywhere else.

Actually, I can't find ingredients listed for any of their waxes, aside from the mention of Honey in the description for the one called "All Purpose Honee"

Moomis offered at veganessentials.

This other stuff is at Pangea

I really don't advise trying to wax oneself, though, unless you're really hardcore. (Yet another lesson learned the hard way...) Get a friend to help, although an enemy might enjoy it more.

One more quick question. (Is this an old wives tale?) After you shave your legs, chest, arms . . . whatever . . . does it grow back thicker?

Shaved hair doesn't actually grow back thicker, but it can look like it, because you have cut into the hair, so you aren't seeing the tapered end (like you would if you removed hair from the root and it grew back) but the sliced 'middle' part of the hair shaft.

If you removed hair from the root (by waxing, depilitories, etc.) it would look finer at first when it starts to grow back.

I'm sure its not vegan but before I went vegan I tried a few depilatory cremes on my head...very stupid idea. They smell terrible and they burned terribly.

• 3 weeks later...

my body is weird. i have very little hair on my arms and legs and what's there is all blond, but i have a small patch of dark hair right across the middle of my chest. i waxed that a couple of times when i was swimming in high school, used nads once, and naired it once (which made me smell like burnt hair for three days). the nads hurt like a torture device and left me a little bloodied, after which i had several ingrowns. the waxing was not so bad, but still gave me ingrowns. and then shaving it leaves lots of stubble, but works fine.

i was wondering if waxing always leaves ingrowns or if there is a trick to it. anyone have any tips?

i was wondering if waxing always leaves ingrowns or if there is a trick to it. anyone have any tips?

Don't do this immediately after waxing or it'll just irritate, but the following day (or the day after that, if you're tender) start scrubbing with a loofah or hemp washcloth daily. It's helpful if you are prone to ingrowns after shaving, as well.

I actually only shave with soap and don't add anything after...I have really dry skin and I always have but I don't care because it doesn't hurt the way most people do if they have dry skin

Had some waxing done and just wanted to chime in with a great 'after product' my aesthetician turned me on to called Bikini Zone. Most drug stores in the U.S. carry it -CVS, Eckerd, Rite Aid, Wallgreens, Duane Reed, etc. It keeps the bumps and ingrowns down and really soothes. Rub it on next time you get back from a waxing.

Had some waxing done and just wanted to chime in with a great 'after product' my aesthetician turned me on to called Bikini Zone. Most drug stores in the U.S. carry it -CVS, Eckerd, Rite Aid, Wallgreens, Duane Reed, etc. It keeps the bumps and ingrowns down and really soothes. Rub it on next time you get back from a waxing.

That's got lactic acid in it,

The cream has some stearates in it.

Probably not vegan...