Is rape seed oil bad ?

Monow

Been doing a bit of surfing on the net with regards to different oils and just wondered if there was better oils than others. It seems cold pressed virgin olive oil is highly rated. But there is conflicting information on 2 oils, they being Rape seed oil and Canola.

Now I am sure I have read somewhere rape seed was used in mustard gas and ages ago I read horror stories on Canola, where it destroyed the human body long term.

So I am sure you guys know of these and other oils, and would appreciate your 2 cents worth on what oils are good and what oils are extremely bad.

Canola oil is rapeseed oil. It got the name canola from being a large export of Canada. The name is a combination of Canada and oil. It comes from a seed in the mustard family and I have read in a few places that it leads to problems with cataracts and erosion of the lenses in your eyes if consumed too often. I have no idea if this is true, because I have heard other claims to it being a healthy oil.

I think its better to avoid it to be safe but at the same time I know many fit people who consume quite a bit of it...they also seem to be healthy fit people which doesn't always go hand in hand...personally I like to stick to olive, sesame and peanut whenever possible

My oils of choice are coconut oil and olive oil, both virgin and cold-pressed whenever possible. I've found nothing but very positive information about coconut and olive oils. I also use sesame, but not often.

The surfing that I did a couple years ago in regards to Canola oil turned up a lot of conflicting information as well. From what I can remember, the sites that said it was safe and healthy wanted me to buy Canola oil and the sites that said it was unhealthy wanted to be the authority on long lists of all that's evil in the grocery store. I don't particularly trust either motive. So, lacking enough conclusive evidence one way or the other, I do use Canola sometimes, but I don't use it often at all. (Usually for things like french fries or donuts, since it requires so much oil and canola is so cheap.)

• 2 weeks later...

i don't know if its bad in any way but I do hear its good for cholesterol...although none of us eat any cholesterol anyhow. I must admit it tastes mighty yummy in veganaise

I've read that canola/rapeseed has caused cancer or liver damage in animals (pigs?) . Whatever it was, it made me avoid Canola from then on.

I agree with Dr. Fuhrman, that oils are just processed foods, and it's best to limit their consumption. I avoid them as much as possible (but do get them when I eat processed foods, like some of Amy's meals) and prefer whole-food sources of fats.

When I prepare foods that have oil in them, I use extra virgin, cold-pressed olive oil (for salads and raw use) or coconut oil.

i don't know if its bad in any way but I do hear its good for cholesterol...although none of us eat any cholesterol anyhow.

True, but one can still have elevated cholesterol if one consumes too much fat, even vegetable fat. And some high cholesterol is genetic. (Though I'm not sure that any dietary changes affect genetically elevated cholesterol.)

I have heard that grape seed oil is good (but that info comes from those who sell products that contain it! And sometimes the 'helps reduce high cholesterol' claims on products mean "if used in place of animal fats,' and if you don't eat animal fats to begin with, there may be no benefit).

I agree, though, it is mighty tasty in Veganaise!

Canola is a healthy oil...sure it is, that's what they want you to think. In my opinion, it is not fit for human consumption although for several years now it has been tauted as a "wonder oil" because of it's perceived health benefits (in reality there are no actual benefits to it, only it is considered a less unhealthy substitution) and it's low cost. It might be better for you than eating lard, but no one here has to worry about that anyway.

I think they make the Grapeseed Oil Veganaise for the people that know its bad...anyway your nutrition class also probably tells you to drink milk, eat fish and lean poultry too.