Soaking nuts in water, why ?

Monow

Just watching a program about a health retreat in which a raw " food preparer" (are they still called cooks/chefs ???) where he mentioned he soaked different nuts over night before eating them. He mentioned something about it changing the structure of the nut, I assume it makes it easier to digest.

So can anyone tell me what the soaking does ?

If you do this soaking, do you find it much better to eat nuts this way ?

I can't say if its better but I do think you can do more things with them. For example...cashews(raw but not really) soaked then ground make a wonderful cheese like spread...same goes for almonds although they don't taste cheesy...they also expand a bit and make it feel like your eating more food.

Soaking and rinsing nuts (germinating them) increases nutrition somewhat the way sprouting does. It reduces enzymes inhibitors that are washed away with the soak water, and increases the activity of enzymes to make the fat and protein more digestible.

Is this the case even though most nuts aren't really raw??? I wouldn't think you'd be able to release enzymes from nuts that have been partially cooked.

Is this the case even though most nuts aren't really raw??? I wouldn't think you'd be able to release enzymes from nuts that have been partially cooked.

It depends on the process, some are viable, like almonds. Brazil nuts aren't, neither are cashews.

So what nuts are ok to soak then ?

How do I tell if a nut has been cooked completely, just by looking at the packet ?

What about seeds, like pumpkin and sunflower seeds, are there partially or completely cooked ? Is there any advantage of soaking them ?

So what nuts are ok to soak then ?

How do I tell if a nut has been cooked completely, just by looking at the packet ?

What about seeds, like pumpkin and sunflower seeds, are there partially or completely cooked ? Is there any advantage of soaking them ?

The concept of germinating and sprouting nuts is that of..

if you were to put a raw almond into the soil, after it rains, it begins

to grow.. the lifeforce in the nut has been awakend.

Before long, an almond tree will grow.

Put a roasted almond into the soil, and what happends??

Nothing. It is dead food.

The lifeforce has already been destroyed by cooking.

It is rare, that you'll find "pre-soaked" nuts or seeds anywhere,

it is just best to do it yourself, you can germinate them while you

sleep, since most take about 8 hours for soaking time.

You will know a live nut/seed when you see one, they look full of

life/water/essence. And(to me anyhow), they taste different.

All nuts and seeds should be (at least) germinated.

I sprouted some almonds and pumpkin seeds today (well, insofar as they sprout) and made them into a cereal with some raisins, cinnamon and a squirt of agave. I then started to sprout some lentils I had soaking and I nibbled on a couple that turned into a few, which turned into quite a few. A few hours later my stomach started to hurt and I couldn't figure out why at first. Should have known better

I had my first batch of sprouted almonds yesterday. The flavor isn't what I expected, but that isn't a bad thing. It is still similar to the dry ones, but as andesuma said, the bite is similar to watercrest. The flavor is hard to describe, but they do seem lighter and more fresh.

With all the talk I think I'll go to a decent health food store and get some seeds and nuts to try the soaking technique, sounds very interesting.

Is there a standard soaking time for all nuts and seeds ? Or is there set times for each, like an hour less for smaller seeds etc.

I have noticed there is varying times with beans, some don't seem to sprout if they are done over night. So minus an hour or so off the soak and they do better. Anyone know any links etc that give bean to soak time ?

On a related nut soaking note:

I've heard that regularly soaking ones nuts, or for that matter someone else's nuts if they let you, in very hot water for several minutes each time, effectively eliminates sperm production. Has anyone here tried this technique?

This is a great idea for penny pinchers trying to save money on condoms

once soaked/sprouted, i like sprinkling spices like cayanne powder, cardamon, chili powder over them and then drying in the sun or in a dehydrator at 104 degrees for a couple hours until dry.

the texture is different once the nut is soaked. it's softer and easier to digest, with more protein and enzymes. and taste great spiced.

enjoy

i was talking with a friend the other day.

i hadn't seen her in a year and a half.

she used to smoke and eat meat and all.

well now she surpised me.

she's mostly raw.

she quit smoking.

she only drinks wine.

anyway, she asked me if i was big into sprouts.

i said, and i quote, "Eh... I'm not that big into sprouts, but I do like to soak my nuts."

And I kid you not, she actually did a spit take! (that's like in a movie when someone sprays all the water/liquid out of the mouth in shock)

my favorite soaked nuts are almond, mac, walnut, sunflower