Freedom fries

offense74

I just saw Freedom Fries: And Other Stupidity We'll Have to Explain to Our Grandchildren today and I laughed out loud quite a few times.

It's basically a documentary that starts out with the white house changing the name of the fries in the cafeteria from "French" fries to "freedom" fries because French people apparently hates freedom. A little later in the film the maker wonders why Americans are so fond of Chinese products even though they too (much like the rest of the world) told Dick (Cheney) that the US wouldn't end terrorism by invading Iraq. But apparently the Chinese government are freedom lovers.

Watch it, it's freaking funny!!

i'm not trying to be rude, offend or anything, but

the french fries' invention is not the only thing trying to become american..

for example..

The airplane that, everybody thinks it's an american invention, didn't really fly, the airplane ''brothers wright'' created, it just had the same effect of a paper airplane and they also had to use a thing like a catapult to help the ''airplane'', it flew for a short-time and then fell, it was like a prolonged hop, if you know what i'm saying..while Santos Dumont a brazilian-born who studied in France and was living there at the time, created a airplane that 'reallly' flew.

CNN has an article about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/12/10/brazil.santosdumont.reut/index.html

There's also the phone cards for public phones, they aren't very common here in USA where they still using coins in most of places ( if not all ), but in Europe and other places, a lot of people uses them, the reason why they don't use that, i believe it's because it's not american...

---

and there's also the american and metric system..

sorry, i'm not trying to be rude.. but the metric system is way easier to use than the american one..

to convert something from km to m for example you just have to multiply by 1000, really easy, you can do it in your head, while yards, feets, and so on.. you have to use calculator because they don't follow the simple system of 10, 100, 1000.. it complicates a lot..

i don't know if that's another patriotic thing that they're trying to keep, i'm not against americans, i like USA and americans, but before something terrible happens ( again ), i think they should change a little..that's why so many people in the other continents don't like americans like the old times.

The airplane that, everybody thinks it's an american invention, didn't really fly, the airplane ''brothers wright'' created, it just had the same effect of a paper airplane and they also had to use a thing like a catapult to help the ''airplane'', it flew for a short-time and then fell, it was like a prolonged hop, if you know what i'm saying..while Santos Dumont a brazilian-born who studied in France and was living there at the time, created a airplane that 'reallly' flew.

CNN has an article about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/12/10/brazil.santosdumont.reut/index.html

Hm? Seems you didn't actually read the article, as it concluded that the Wright's were in fact the first in flight.

Even in France -- never a country too eager to agree with the U.S. point of view -- the Wrights are considered to have flown before Santos-Dumont, says Claude Carlier, the director of the French Center for the History of Aeronautics and Space.

There's also the phone cards for public phones, they aren't very common here in USA where they still using coins, but in Europe and other places, a lot of people uses them, the reason why they don't use that, i believe it's because it's not american...

Or maybe it's because public phones are independently owned and not government monopolies? Or because most Americans have cell phones and rarely if ever use public phones?

---

and there's also the american and metric system..

sorry, i'm not trying to be rude.. but the metric system is way easier to use than the american one..

to convert something from km to m for example you just have to multiply by 1000, really easy, you can do it in your head, while yards, feets, and so on.. you have to use calculator because they don't follow the simple system of 10, 100, 1000.. it complicates a lot..

Most of us who grew up using standard measurements can do the math in our heads. It's not exactly rocket science. But, I agree the metric system is superior for simplicity and usability. In the 1970's the U.S. actually began the conversion to the metric system, even going so far as to put all highway signs in miles and kilometers. Gasoline pumps were also in gallons and litres and so on. But for whatever reason it just didn't catch on and they switched it all back again! Now the only thing metric most Americans understand is 2 litres, i.e. the biggest bottles of coke and other sodas.

i don't know if that's another patriotic thing that they're trying to keep, i'm not against americans, i like USA and americans, but before something terrible happens ( again ), i think they should change a little..that's why so many people in the other continents don't like americans like the old times.

No doubt, a little change is in order. But, that change is mainly in getting our sadistic, terrorist, murdering, idiot of a president out of office and preferably buried in a hole in the ground someplace.

the brothers wright might have been the first in the area to create something similar to a airplane but i didn't followed the criteria of one, i wouldn't consider a prolonged hop a fly.. so, the invention it's not wright's.

oh, i didn't read the article ( next time i will lol ), i was watching tv some time ago and they were talking about that..

anyways.. if you throw a airplane made out of paper out of your window, is that really flying? Santos Dumont without copying them made a airplane capable of flying, it worked very well, no catapult was needed or any kind of ''inclination''. brothers wright deserve the credit, but i don't think they deserve more than Santos Dumont does.

and about the phones, well, i don't really know what to say, but you know, in europe they use a lot of cellphones, too.. anyways, it's europe..not usa, so, i don't really have any arguments about it anyways..

standard system makes me crazy.. i hope the gov. make the metric official someday.

P.S. I used to think that french fries were created in usa.

---

I agree with taking the president out... he's a problem. i wish al gore was the president, or someone else trying to make america more green.

Edited by andgbr

I agree with taking the president out... he's a problem. i wish al gore was the president, or someone else trying to make america more green.

How would Gore or anyone make America more green?

We have a representative democracy. Nothing works in this country without the people's support. Change comes from the people, not the government. America is not going to become "more green" just because of a new elected official, it is up to the people to change that.

Want to make America more green? Go clean up in a State Park, or by the side of an interstate. Go help plant trees. Protest a KFC if that's your thing.

The biggest proof of this that comes to mind is the Civil Rights movement. Especially Martin Luther King. In fact, during that time a Democrat was in office, why didn't he just fix it? The people changed it.

I wish more people made this realization....

Disclaimer- I am neither Republican nor Democrat.

We have a representative democracy. Nothing works in this country without the people's support. Change comes from the people, not the government. America is not going to become "more green" just because of a new elected official, it is up to the people to change that.

Want to make America more green? Go clean up in a State Park, or by the side of an interstate. Go help plant trees. Protest a KFC if that's your thing.

The biggest proof of this that comes to mind is the Civil Rights movement. Especially Martin Luther King. In fact, during that time a Democrat was in office, why didn't he just fix it? The people changed it.

Ha, yeah! Until you realize that you and everything else in this country is owned. Owned by a few rich people who actually run things. That's why vegans are now considered terrorists and terrorists can be held indefinitely without cause. Wake up and realize that people don't mean shit in this country.

the fact that its a "representative democracy" is part of the problem. People "represent" the interests of the people. It's all a political popularity contest. No one gives a shit about the people. Or at least very few. And lately it seems like the people in power can do close to whatever they want.

Ha, yeah! Until you realize that you and everything else in this country is owned. Owned by a few rich people who actually run things. That's why vegans are now considered terrorists and terrorists can be held indefinitely without cause. Wake up and realize that people don't mean shit in this country.

So, who is giving them their money?

One primary channel fo their money is through taxes. Take Halliburton for example, they have received over 16 billion dollars just for the war in Iraq. For those who don't know, vice president Dick Chenney was formerly an executive at Halliburton. After the Iraq war started they were illegally handed billions of dollars in contracts. Illegal because all U.S. government contracts have to go out for bid, allowing all companies to have a shot at them. With Halliburton there was no bid process. Let's consider the origins of this war. The Saudis financed a large chunk of getting george bush elected. George invades iraq to keep their oil supplies off the market. This keeps oil prices high for the Saudis and for George Bush and Dick Chenney who also own a tremendous amount of oil resources.

Offense, this country is corrupt beyond comprehension. The people with the most wealth and power control basic public necessities such as oil, electricity, gas, transportation, hospitals, communications etc. It's not like you can just stop giving them your money, unless you want to live naked in the woods. Of course, even that is illegal in this "free" country.

you people are all american traitors and it makes me sick. why don't you all move to france if you love it so much. go USA

Look, just because you're in the CIA doesn't mean we have to put up with this kind of pro-america propoganda on here. If I have to put up with people like you, I'm going back to veganfitness.net.

you people are all american traitors and it makes me sick. why don't you all move to france if you love it so much. go USA

Look, just because you're in the CIA doesn't mean we have to put up with this kind of pro-america propoganda on here. If I have to put up with people like you, I'm going back to veganfitness.net.

congratulations michaelhobson, you just got added to an exclusive list. do you prefer chains or an electric fence

One primary channel fo their money is through taxes. Take Halliburton for example, they have received over 16 billion dollars just for the war in Iraq. For those who don't know, vice president Dick Chenney was formerly an executive at Halliburton. After the Iraq war started they were illegally handed billions of dollars in contracts. Illegal because all U.S. government contracts have to go out for bid, allowing all companies to have a shot at them. With Halliburton there was no bid process. Let's consider the origins of this war. The Saudis financed a large chunk of getting george bush elected. George invades iraq to keep their oil supplies off the market. This keeps oil prices high for the Saudis and for George Bush and Dick Chenney who also own a tremendous amount of oil resources.

Offense, this country is corrupt beyond comprehension. The people with the most wealth and power control basic public necessities such as oil, electricity, gas, transportation, hospitals, communications etc. It's not like you can just stop giving them your money, unless you want to live naked in the woods. Of course, even that is illegal in this "free" country.

I know about the problems (we have them here too) and I agree with you but change can only come from the people and have always done so in the past. If you vote libertarian and give your money (as far as you possibly can) to others than the retards with the money you're half way there. Get others to do the same and you will come even further.

Changing the status quo have never been easy and I think the biggest problem we face today is that we believe it will be so. Our generation didn't really have to fight for anything like our granparents or parents did so I think we are all more or less spoiled.

Does it matter that the wealthy control so much? I think the majority that are allowed to, choose to keep participating. People vote but nothing changes. tune in, turn on, and drop out. It doesnt help that everyone is chasing after money which makes them corrupt since they sell out whenver they can. We have alternatives though (to a degree) we can build electric cars with components made by those in power (auto industry), we can ride bikes on streets made by those in power, the internet is still fairly uncontrolled, homeopathic medicine.

i'm not democrat, nor republican, but you know Al gore might not have a lot of power like you've said, but he would help a lot by influencing americans, and at least he wouldn't be sending or ''approving'' oil-related problems to happen in and/or outside the country. You're right he wouldn't make the ''big'' difference, but at least we wouldn't have a crappy president representing a leading country.

I try to help my world a better world in many ways, i try to buy more local and organic veggies and fruits ( although a bit expensive, and i can't afford it always )

choosing eco-friendly stuff, eco-friendly diet. and so on, we all can make the difference without even a government, but a better ''representative'' president would help even more.

Edited by andgbr

i'm not democrat, nor republican, but you know Al gore might not have a lot of power like you've said, but he would help a lot by influencing americans, and at least he wouldn't be sending or ''approving'' oil-related problems to happen in and/or outside the country. You're right he wouldn't make the ''big'' difference, but at least we wouldn't have a crappy president representing a leading country.

Why is he crappy? I'd like to hear in your own words.

I diagree with a lot he has done, but I'd like you to tell me how Gore would do better?

I know MichaelHobson will have a good reply, I want to hear yours Glenn.

If this sounds harsh, sorry, just questioning you.

I diagree with a lot he has done, but I'd like you to tell me how Gore would do better?

Encouraging the people to approve war in the Middle East, not being a ''leader'' when they needed in New Orleans, Encouraging again vengeance in the wrong country after the 9/11 and because of that, they're having to waste dollars killing people and defend a country that was better when Saddan was there, Osama was in USA in the 9/11 and they didn't stop him getting out the country at the time. He might be ''representative'' but he's encouraging and approving all kinds of stuff. I know there's ''peer-pressure'' inside the government, but he is doing a lot of these things for his own good.

I don't know how Al Gore would do it, he never had the chance to be the president ( unlike GWB ), but i don't think he would do worse than Bush is doing, and instead of oil, he's planning to help the environment, and therefore he gives me ''more'' hopes. I'm not saying that he'd be my first choice, but comparing to GWBush i think he'd do much better.

Edited by andgbr

Offense74 and CollegeB, I don't disagree with either of you. I put my money , time and lifestyle as much as possible toward alternative culture. It's just frustrating to have such wealthy and corrupt organizations working against you, especially your own government. Maybe you're right Offense, maybe we are spoiled. But it's a real shame that my ancestors faught and died only to have achieved one of the most corrupt nations in the world.

Encouraging the people to approve war in the Middle East, not being a ''leader'' when they needed in New Orleans, Encouraging again vengeance in the wrong country after the 9/11 and because of that, they're having to waste dollars killing people and defend a country that was better when Saddan was there, Osama was in USA in the 9/11 and they didn't stop him getting out the country at the time. He might be ''representative'' but he's encouraging and approving all kinds of stuff. I know there's ''peer-pressure'' inside the government, but he is doing a lot of these things for his own good.

I don't know how Al Gore would do it, he never had the chance to be the president ( unlike GWB ), but i don't think he would do worse than Bush is doing, and instead of oil, he's planning to help the environment, and therefore he gives me ''more'' hopes. I'm not saying that he'd be my first choice, but comparing to GWBush i think he'd do much better.

Okay, if Bush is so into this oil profiting for himself, why has fuel cell development and electric car development progressed so much? Almost any large auto manufacturer has at least 1 fully electric car that will be released within the next few years. The progress made in the past 6 years has been outstanding.

Secondly

"They're having to waste dollars killing people and defend a country that was better when Saddan was there."

I can't really believe you said that.

"Saddam Hussein was also the first leader to use chemical weapons against his own population, silencing more than 60 villages and 30,000 citizens with poisonous gas. Between 1983 and 1988 alone, he murdered more than 30,000 Iraqi citizens with mustard gas and nerve agents. Several international organizations claim that he killed more than 60,000 Iraqi citizens with chemicals, including large numbers of women and children."

"Saddam also routinely tortured and murdered women. The daily newspaper "Babel," owned by Uday, Hussein's eldest son, contained a public admission on Feb. 13, 2001 of beheading women who were suspected of prostitution."

And Glenn, If you still believe that shit, go here, right click save as, and download these videos (Chapters 1-4) and watch them. Then tell me they were better off before.

http://fdd.typepad.com/fdd/2006/01/alert_saddams_c.html