Event in Austin sometime?

gabrieldj

Has an event ever been planned in Austin? Robert has said that, other than Oregon, there are more members on this board from Texas than anywhere else. I think Austin would be a great Vegan Vacation or smaller gathering. It's close to Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, and there are many wonderful vegan restaurants and organizations here. PLUS, we have:

* The largest colony of Mexican Free-Tailed bats in North America living under Congress Bridge. They come out every night from May - October. http://austin.about.com/cs/bats/p/bats.htm

* An awesome animal-friendly rescue zoo that, "provides sanctuary to displaced animals from a variety of unfortunate and often neglectful situations." It's the only zoo I can visit and feel good about! http://www.austinzoo.org

* One of the best live music scenes in the world.

* LOTS of great outdoor stuff to do, including zip-line canopy tours, plenty of water activities, hiking, etc.

Anyway, I love Austin, and think it would be a great place for an event!

Austin is on my list of places to consider for sure! I've mentioned a few times that I'd really like to go there. I think it would be an excellent place for a gathering sometime in the future. Thanks for mentioning it and we hope to end up there sometime.

Yeah, I like that! I hope for lots of smaller gatherings all over! We just had one on Sunday with 10 of us here in Portland and it was cool. Check the updated Vegan Vacation list, I think we have 30-40 so far signed up!

There are a bunch of you from Texas so that would be great if some of you organized a gathering out there to meet in person and hang out.

I wouldn't mind...it'd be nice to ride my bike out there too since Texas has 2 velodromes(don't know where they are though)

We don't have a velodrome yet (though there is an effort to get one built), but we have an awesome veloway, and other great hike and bike trails around the city. I'm sure there's a more exhaustive list, but here's something I found before I have to run to the gym!

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/trails.htm

Yeah, even if there is just two or three of you. That is how my little Corvallis or Portland gatherings started. Now we get in the double digits, 10+ forum members and their family members hanging out. Great times! It will only grow from there.

Yeah, have a small meet-up!

I know loveliberate is cleaning up the spam members so it is easier to search in the memberlist to see who is in that area. We have tons of members from Texas so I'm sure there are a handful in Austin as well.

Have fun when you make it over there!

• 6 months later...
im moving into my apartment on friday and then school starts up again for my monday so I'll be busy moving in/gettin in the swing of things for a bit, but I'm way up for an Austin get-together sometime in the near future.

I was there a couple of weekends ago with friends. Night out 4th & 6th. Day at lake travis rented some jet skis... lotta fun.