New Cycling Stuff????

Guest veganpotter

I just got my student loan in and I'm getting ready to start wasting it on my time trial bike I've been wanting to do this for a while. I'll also start looking to build up my track bike in the very near future too. Anyway I was just wondering if any of you guys/gals are looking to buy and new gadgets, widgets or whatever else you have in mind to maintain your self destructive cycling habits.

Oh...I also just got my team winter jacket so now I don't need 5 layers of clothes. Normally I can get warm on cold rides but I feel very restricted...now with my Jacket I think it'll hold me down to 35 comfortably with nothing under it and maybe even 20 with a thin layer.

finabarrio, It looks like I will be on the cape (Easham) from June 16-23rd for our annual family vacation

I am bringing my mountain bike and steel bianchi.

Would you be able to tell me so mountain bike trails, versus just riding on the cape cod trail?

maybe we can meet?

finabarrio, It looks like I will be on the cape (Easham) from June 16-23rd for our annual family vacation

I am bringing my mountain bike and steel bianchi.

Would you be able to tell me so mountain bike trails, versus just riding on the cape cod trail?

maybe we can meet?

Definitely! I'll tell you where some trails are. There are fun group rides in Nickerson State park that end with a swim - usually a couple times a week. Nice road rides around there too.

We'd love to have you over for dinner while you're down too - we have vegan potlucks every month or two, so we can make sure we schedule one for while you're here.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha...I just bid down a new fork for my TT frame from ebay's buy it now price...well I only saved $11 bucks but what can you do...I've had a terrible time finding a 650 fork with a 1inch threadless steerer...this means I can take my bike to the local Re-Cycles spot and get the rest of the parts used(I also one a Cannondale Crankset with Bottom Bracket a few weeks ago but thats nothing special), I also won aero bars with a base bar(shifter trigger and brakes included)...you'd be suprised how much Ultegra stuff they have for almost nothing(most may be 5yrs old but they only have lazy miles on them from rich kids that don't ride their bikes).

Yesterday was my lucky day. I ran into a used bike shop on a walk and fell in love with an almost not used track frame(200miles at most). Its a Trek T1 and I got if for $350 with the carbon track fork...hopefully I can get the rest of the stuff I need for less than $700 but we'll see

There aren't any track here unfortunately and I've still got to wait a bit to build it up before I post it in its beauty but we'll see how long it takes....some guys are going up to t-town in early April so I hope to be ready then...anyway I have about 6hrs of track experience but I've heard I'm a natural from a few cat 2s so we'll see how good I get in Portland

Yup...I wouldn't mind Portland, Maine but its a bit brisk...although Jamie and I may actually wind up in Boston later on anyway which I'm happy about since I'll be near you and Finnbarrio but at the same time Virginia winters are more than cold enough for my tastes

When are you moving to Portland maine?

That will be cool for you. Wish I could join you.

It has been wicked cold and windy here. No road riding for me unfortunetly. My coach is telling me to get my butt on the trainer I have a lot of work to do to get ready for this race season. I have mapped out a very hard season.

What new cycling helmet did you get?

I just bought the new Kyrium ES wheelset.

Also, had to replace my headset so I put on a Kris King headset, new stem and my friend sent me the Look KEO carbon pedals (with TI spindle) for christmas. The pedals are sweet but i have to drop my seat by 6mm and I am all ready at the bottom of my seatpost (it is a set back seatpost).

So it looks like I need a new seatpost. Oh and i also bought a new pair of SIDI shoes. my old pair are 6 years old and have 40,000 + miles on them. I do love them though. So needless to say I have just dropped a whole lot of money on my bike.

Keep on riding!!

I plan on moving in late may if all works out the way things are planned. Yeah it would be fun to be out there with you too...lots and lots...and lots of miles of riding...vegan style

So what are your racing plans??? What category are you in??? As for my helmet I got a Bell Alchera so no warranty but it was on sale for $40. Nice wheelset by the way...I like my shimano 550s but I'd like to have something a bit stiffer like your wheels...I've got my Spinnergy Wheels for racing but I can't spoil myself and train with them all the time. Anyway good luck getting sized up for those pedals(6MM is a ton). And how do you like the shoes??? Are the carbon? I've still got my bottom of the barrel Shimano shoes but I'm happy with them for now.

I love my sidis. Like i mentioned my original pair are 6 years old and have more than 40,000 miles on them.

I do not have many choices when it comes to womens cycling shoes. I believe just Sidi and Diadora make womens specific shoes. I love the Northwave shoes but they do not make them for women.

For what they cost they should be all carbon and gilded in gold.

Just the sole is carbon with the rest of the shoes is made of Lorica, no leather. I think they are amazing shoes.

I plan on doing a bunch of time trails this season and totally focus on climbing. Maybe doing some climbing races and definitely a lot of mountainous centuries. I love riding 100 plus miles on my bike. It is a fantastic way to spend the day.

Looks like I will not be able to make VW because I cannot afford to take all that time away from my training. (plus money is wicked tight) The Mt.Washington hillclimb will be very tough and I need to ride as many mountians as i can before hand.

I may even have to head to VT to ride Mt.Ascutney.

But I hope to get out there in the fall and meet all of the awesome forum members, especially you potter.

I know shimano makes a women's version of my shoe...the RD-98 had. But they don't make either now but now they make the RD-85w and RD-99w...I'm not sure if they are carbon or not though. I really like the Shimano footbed so I think I may get a carbon shoe but I'll save it for racing on the road and training and racing on the track so they last longer.

As for the VV it stinks for the money but don't worry about training...there will be lots of that. I plan on doing the Portland to Seattle ride atleast once during the VV...and hopefully I can get Sydneyvegan, and Finbarrio to get on the track with me to do a couple long training rides with lots of pulls and sprints. This means lots of training and lots of sleep deprivation which I feel can be good once you recover. Anyway good luck with all your racing:)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm super stoked...after my terrible cycling experience yesterday I decided to go nuts on EBAY...I purchased a set of Cane Creek track wheels(with free dura-ace cog, cane creek locking, and Continental Podium Tires)and now I only have to get a bottom bracket, chain, and handlebar and I'm ready to go. So I'm hoping less than $150 and I'm on the track...I'm also bidding on a DEDA track handlebar as we speak...hopefully I get it:)