Lab Grown Meat

BJJVegan

Is Lab Grown Meat better for our society(health and animal rights) than factory farming?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Im writing an argumentative paper for my writing class, and ive chosen the subject of "Lab Grown Meat." I was mainly wondering other peoples opinion on the subject. And i would also like to know of any articles or websites on this subject. Anybodys input would be of great help.

I voted no - both are horrible options. As long as folks are eating animal flesh, I'd prefer to see the animals live in the wild or on an organic farm & I think the flesh-eater's should have to kill, clean & prepare the animals by themselves. Also a horrible option but besides folks just going vegan, it's the best I can think of. I also believe that it would cause many more folks to go veg & greatly reduce the amount of animals killed overall.

i can't really tell which is worse, labgrown is problably going to be really unhealthy..worse than real meat.. while real meat is terrible for the health and the environment..at the same time, i don't know.. for some people who only believe in AR and are unable to become vegetarian ( or vegan ), but i don't think that's going to be a good thing, perhaps for the environment, therefore i can't really tell if it's going to be beneficial for meat-eaters, or not, but there might be a small chance. the only problem is that we're going to have less reasons to make people go vegetarian..( no more factory farming? ) unless we use the ''natural'', ''healthy'' argument.

let's not discuss about real or fake meat, let's have a plant-based diet.

Edited by andgbr

I vote yes for animals sake but who knows how healthy it would be. Although I'd still rather people stick to veggies for sure. Sure mad cow wouldn't be an issue but who knows what it could cause later on.

i just wonder how they would produce this lab grown meat. Honestly i think they'd still be killing animals for it. If this is not the case though and its really a synthetic meat then its fine by me. It probably would be not too bad as it wouldnt have cholesterol most likely, since animals produce cholesterol. I think without it being live animal flesh then the cholesterol wouldnt be present. Anyone know for sure?

i just wonder how they would produce this lab grown meat. Honestly i think they'd still be killing animals for it. If this is not the case though and its really a synthetic meat then its fine by me. It probably would be not too bad as it wouldnt have cholesterol most likely, since animals produce cholesterol. I think without it being live animal flesh then the cholesterol wouldnt be present. Anyone know for sure?

There wouldn't be a gland to produce it, how would it get there?

I hadn't heard about this, so I Googled "lab grown meat" and shazaam! There was a host if info about this subject. Ah, science!

I think this idea is much better than what is currently being practiced. Choosing between lab-grown meat and the raising of animals to slaughter, I would nod toward lab-grown meat. It will never enter my body though, not as long as I have a choice.

Reading how it would be done, in large sheets, and how the protein would have to be stretched often to "exercise" the 'meat' to give it substance.... well, it all sounds very science-fictional to me, and I even got a little sick in the pit of my stomach thinking about it. Yet I thought how this "science" would help elliminate all the suffering of billions of innocent animals yearly, and it seemed the lesser of the two 'evils'.

What's next? Lab grown tofu?

What a ride! Where are we going?

I agree that it is rediculous...same as lab grown veggies without soil and natural fertilizers...for me so long as there it nothing to feel any nerve function its aok...although weird and pathetic that people could go that far when they can just eat boca

I agree that it is rediculous...same as lab grown veggies without soil and natural fertilizers...for me so long as there it nothing to feel any nerve function its aok...although weird and pathetic that people could go that far when they can just eat boca

they call themselves rationals.

As much as I enjoy the health benefits of a vegan diet, I think that there are things that people are going to do to endanger their health because they are slaves to their tastebuds, so if this tastes the strain off of the enviornment and doesn't enslave animals, it could be a better choice.

At least for now...

• 2 weeks later...

When i first heard about this subject i was really grossed out/disgusted. But as i started thinking about it i think there could be some major benefits, environmentally and for animal cruelty all together. Factory Farming could be eliminated, which would end the animal cruelty and take away all the pollution that is being put into the air. Also all the grains that are being used to feed the livestock could be put to a better use like feeding the world. Though, there will still be some animals needed to make the milk, cheese and eggs...until they figure out how to lab grow that

When i first heard about this subject i was really grossed out/disgusted. But as i started thinking about it i think there could be some major benefits, environmentally and for animal cruelty all together. Factory Farming could be eliminated, which would end the animal cruelty and take away all the pollution that is being put into the air. Also all the grains that are being used to feed the livestock could be put to a better use like feeding the world. Though, there will still be some animals needed to make the milk, cheese and eggs...until they figure out how to lab grow that

I'm positive that eggs and milk are, molecularly speaking, less complex than meat.

They would still need "raw" ingredients to make the crud & where do ya think that would come from? It's like this bio-diesel/fuel idea: it may be great when you are using waste products but not so great when yr clearcutting forests &/or using the world's increasingly limited cropland for growing fuel sources...

Edited by loveliberate

They would still need "raw" ingredients to make the crud & where do ya think that would come from?

Synthetically.... It would still come from plants, but it would be much more effecient as you're not building anything other than muscle/flesh, no organs, blood bones, or anything.