What Are You Listening To Now?

pelicanAndrew

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Painful eh? I guess not a fan of Vangelis

Never heard of Vangelis, but no, I guess not a fan. It's all good though, I'm glad you enjoy it. I can only hope to be that mellow someday. Metallica used to be easy listening for me, now I'm more likely to chill out to bluegrass. So, I'm not ruling it out, maybe someday I'll appreciate the likes of Vangelis.

Holy crap, that brings back some memories...haven't heard B'LAST in nearly 20 years. Thanks for the link to the video!

You're welcome VE. I found a cassette of theirs in a used record store about 5 years ago, which was pretty good. I first saw the video on Night Flight on the USA Network about 20 years ago. Had a recording of it, but lost it about a decade ago. I was stoked to find it on Youtube last night.

Currently listening to Nuclear Assault - "Brainwashed" http://youtube.com/watch?v=aPjAxDBIoPs

At the other end of the musical spectrum, Youth of Today's "No More" was another one I first saw on Night Flight back in 1988. I had already gone vegetarian a few months before, but it helped to seal the deal, it was the first slaughterhouse footage I had ever seen.

Note: This video has some static at the beginning, but it does work.

Bad Brains - "I against I"

Here's another one I first saw on Night Flight on the USA Network around 1988. Again, it was a mindblowing sound I"d never heard before. Little did I realize at first that Bad Brains is actually from Richmond, Virginia, my hometown. I used to see H.R. (the singer) at the health food store and at shows long before I realized it was him. Unfortunately Bad Brains wasn't together at the time, but I did see H.R. solo once.

Later on I was taking a class at the local community college and ended up in a class with an old punker from the 70's. He was still rough as hell around the edges, rode a Harley every day even in the rain, tatooed from head to toe, really in to Hell-billy music and an all around nice guy. He was about 10 years older than me and used to fill me in on Richmond's hardcore history. He had some funny stories about hanging out with the Bad Brains back in the day. I don't really remember the stories now, except that he was friends with them until they "all moved to Washington DC, got Jamaican accents and dreadlocks, and suddenly decided they hated white people.

You're bringing up some old memories, michaelhobson!

There's no shortage of Bad Brains on my iPod, that's for sure. Thanks for reminding me of Night Flight - I used to always stay up late to catch it (it was on the USA channel, wasn't it?) just to see if I'd get a glimpse of something I hadn't heard before. I was always happy when I was fortunate enough to catch good punk videos, not to mention the times I got lucky and saw all of the documentary "Another State of Mind" a couple of times on there as well. It was all I had as a young teenage skate punk to connect me to new stuff while I was stranded a good 40 minutes from anywhere that could supply me with the music I wanted.

On my lineup tonight while I spent my evening painting our basement -

MDC - Millions of Dead Cops

Subhumans - The Day the Country Died

Vandals - Peace Thru Vandalism

Atmosphere - Seven's Travels

And, finally, I think I played Slayer's cover of Inna Gadda da Vida about a dozen times in a row before I was done

It was all I had as a young teenage skate punk to connect me to new stuff while I was stranded a good 40 minutes from anywhere that could supply me with the music I wanted.

Yeah, Nightflight was on USA. I first saw the punk documentary The Decline of Western Civiliazation on there. I was a 14 year old kid and hadn't ever seen anything like that before. I couldn't really believe what I was seeing. I also saw Reefer Madness on there. Then there was GWAR with their first video, just live shots really, of Black and Huge aka Stupid White Chick. I couldn't believe they were from my hometown too and the footage was from a local club Rockitz. I started going to shows at that club shortly thereafter.

Yeah, 40 minutes away is far when you're a kid. It's so easy these days, just type whatever you want in to Google or Youtube. Back then it was A LOT harder. First you had to get a clue someway, somehow, that this stuff actually existed. Then you had to track down other people, just judging by looks mostly and hoping for the best, that knew it existed. Then you had to what stores had what music, and trade with them whatever you had been lucky enough to score so far. And if you were really lucky, one of you would get a car, and find a real record store in the city, and actually have enough money for gas and used records when you got there. Damn, kids have it easy these days.

It all worked out though, those were some awesome times and Richmond's hardcore scene was booming. We had Four Walls Falling, Fed Up, Askance, Sewn up Eyes, Ipecac, Avail, Gwar and HR locally, along with tons of great but lesser known bands. We also got a lot of kids and bands from Washington, DC and Virginia Beach. Along with this bumping local scene came a lot of national and international acts, The Exploited, Agnostic Front, COC, Nuclear Assault, Danzig, Rollins, DOA and on and on and on.

Life was good.

GWAR - "Black & Huge" -

Here's another old Night Flight favorite. I had never been to a show when I first saw this, didn't really know any body in "the scene". I really couldn't believe it when I found out that GWAR was a local band. This video was filmed at Rockitz in Richmond, Virginia. I only saw a few shows there before they closed down. But they re-opened later on as The Metro and shortly thereafter Gwar rented a second floor studio across the street. It was always fun waiting in line for a show at The Metro and seeing Oderus Urungus' three foot rubber dick hanging out the window across the street, for all the world to see.

Ha, another version of the song from Gwar's first home video "Live from Antarctica". What's really funny is that I was at the show where they filmed the live footage for this video. Dolt, that was a different lifetime right? Seems like forever ago.

GWAR Live From Antarctica - Black And Huge #2 -

I never really listened to Gwar, but I did see them live once, which was pretty entertaining from what I remember of it. I was invited to skate the ramp for a demo that was set up at Milwaukee Metalfest (3 days of all types of metal bands playing through the weekend - a pretty big event) back around 1995, free beer and a pass to see whoever I wanted to all weekend long. Skated all afternoon, drank plenty of cheap free beer after that, got held up for my money walking back to my car to put my board away (they offered to get me high afterward - that was a strange event!) and then went to see Gwar do their thing. I came out soaked in fake blood from head to toe and relished every moment of it. Never really bought anything of theirs, but I did vow that if they ever came back around again I wouldn't miss it for anything.

I do remember the Stupid White Chick video from Night Flight as well. At the time, my only exposure to Gwar was what I had seen in old issues of Thrasher magazine. It was cool to finally hear what they sounded like after seeing plenty of pics of their crazy-ass costumes over the years

Tonight's music was DJ P's Hell on Wheels v.2 on repeat while I continued my time painting our basement all night. Still plenty of work to be done, but having some music to work by makes it a whole lot easier.