What Are You Listening To Now?

pelicanAndrew

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That ain't as bad as DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince winning a rap grammy for "Parents Just Don't Understand" over Public Enemy "It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back" or a guy with a flute winning the Best Hard Rock/Metal grammy over Metallica "And Justice for All"

Didn't that happen in the same year?

Seriously, though - I've heard so much this past few months about people saying Lil Wayne being possibly the greatest rapper/lyircist/whatever you want to call him, of all time. That kind of stuff makes my brain die a little more each time I hear it mentioned. Serioulsy, have people really sunk to thinking that "Pussy Monster" is an act of genius? I'm sorry, but I just can't get into that kind of stuff.

The de-evolution of what became popular in the mainstream makes me sad. True talent gets overlooked, while the hype surrounding overproduced crossover garbage that now gets called hip-hop makes bank, at least, for a year or two until the next mumbling kook whose new single comes with its own dance takes over the charts.

And, regarding the P.E. losing to Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, that's only because the thought of P.E. winning back then scared white people to death. WAY too in-your-face confrontational back in an era when nobody else was exploring that side of things musically, and since they were completely unapologetic about it, you KNOW that only kept them from being on top. I wish they had won, though - perhaps Flavor Flav wouldn't have ended up hawking his visage via bad reality television for attention later on if they'd pulled it off

Seriously, though - I've heard so much this past few months about people saying Lil Wayne being possibly the greatest rapper/lyircist/whatever you want to call him, of all time. That kind of stuff makes my brain die a little more each time I hear it mentioned. Serioulsy, have people really sunk to thinking that "Pussy Monster" is an act of genius? I'm sorry, but I just can't get into that kind of stuff.

"Pussy Monster" is an act of genius. It's fantastic. I know so many ladies who love that song, which I think proves that there's something brilliant about it. And while Lil Wayne probably isn't even the best lyricist or rapper this year or any other, he is amazing at times. Have you heard his tapes? Or his Internet-only stuff? The guy is a freak, he'll try anything musically, and he often succeeds. Tha Carter III is not exactly his best work, so it's probably a poor example.

The de-evolution of what became popular in the mainstream makes me sad. True talent gets overlooked, while the hype surrounding overproduced crossover garbage that now gets called hip-hop makes bank, at least, for a year or two until the next mumbling kook whose new single comes with its own dance takes over the charts.

Hasn't this been the case for a long time, and in most genres? I'm just a young'un, but I can't remember a time when the Best Music / Popular Music venn diagram had much overlap.

Rap is a young man's sport. I don't understand a lot of the shit that's popular now either. When Wu-Tang came out I remember a lot of older people who liked Ice Cube and P.E. didn't like them. Then a lot of the people who liked Wu-Tang didn't like 50 cent or Dipset. I think Lil Wayne makes some good music. I also understand at 28, verging on social irrelevancy, the stuff I don't like/get isn't geared towards me anyways.

If the song is catchy and it comes pre-packaged with a dance then people will want to hear it in the club. The independent movement in the late 90s was a bunch of white kids in shell toe Adidas calling the guy with 200 metaphors the best lyricist and the guy who dug the most obscure samples the best producer. It's apples and oranges.

You are correct that it is a young man's sport. I do forget how the old guard does always get pushed aside by the next wave of kooks with face tattoos and a video with tons of ass shaking and fancy dancing in front of rented Bentleys. I don't come at it from ther perspective of wanting to be down with whatever's hot in the club this week, so I guess that's where I don't relate to what's getting all the attention now. I'll take substance that holds out and makes me want to listen to shit years later over something that might be fun for a moment and played out a month from now. Popular rap/hip hop stuff is just so disposable now that I guess I'm only attracted to what's not going to get any airtime. That, and I still feel pained when I hear those lame-ass beats made on a Fisher-Price My First Keyboard in 5 minutes by some dude who just keeps tapping one key over and over. When the soul got lost on beat production and instead became this stripped-down junk that gets played everywhere now, I realized that I just don't feel anything when I hear it. Like I've been saying for some time (and got backed up by a rant on DJ P's new disc), it's not going to be long before someone starts farting in a microphone and it goes triple platinum.

Guess we just have to agree to disagree on the new stuff. No matter how much I hear it, nothing ever makes me want to go out and buy it. I get more luck taking a random pick off someone's Amazon recommendations than I do by listening to the radio for a month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Let's get free album by Dead Prez. Gwar's album: This toilet earth. Miles Davis' album: Kind of blue, and the Diabolis Interium album by Dark Funeral. And I just put on the animal voices podcast about vegan muscle with Kenneth Williams. I listened to some other stuff on my drive back from TX, but that was a few days ago...

• 2 weeks later...