Accomodations

robert

Hey everyone.

So here are my thoughts. There aren't really any good places in Portland to have 30+ members stay. So about a week ago I started looking for places in the Beautiful town of Hood River, which is about an hour east of Portland.

Hood River is considered one of the top adventure cities in America. Please feel free to Google or Search Hood River, OR.

I've been searching for lodges and cabins that can accomodate about 30 people. Most "sleep" 8-12 but I found some bigger ones too.

I figure we can easily afford $3,000 a week ($100 per person per week, about $15 a day! Basically as cheap as it gets). To my delight, I found many for about half that cost, and others around that range. I'm sure we could even swing $6000 a week if we needed to (just $30 a day).

So I figure we could ALL stay TOGETHER in an awesome lodge on one of the sweetest adventure cities around for a week (7 days total) and then move over to Portland and spend the next 3-5 days there at host houses. For example davidtarrfoster and I could host about 5 people and many other residents here could host other visitors.

During that week in Hood River we could easily visit Portland, just an hour away, but I think it would be great to just hang out at the lodge for "most" of that first week. Of course we'd want to probably head over to Portland on day #2 to do loads of vegan shopping and spend the rest of the time at home base and in that community of Hood River.

I've researched some places and I'll put my very basic and brief notes on here. I will personally visit some of these places in a week or so, to make sure they don't have Elk Heads on walls or leather furniture, etc.

Since ALL of my research is online at this point....I would LOVE it if others could help out too!

Some key things to search for on Google or any other search engine:

Lodges in Hood River, OR sleeps 25

Cabins in Hood River, OR

Destination Resorts Hood River, OR

Lodges or Cabins that sleep 20+ people

---

Just things like that.

Here is my current list.

Please share thoughts and ideas. Some places come with hot tub, some with organic orchards, some with 10 bedrooms, some with this, with that, etc.

Let's rock this thing for only like $20 per person per day!

My very Basic Research:

Vegan Vacation Destinations

http://www.cgvacationrentals.com/home5_details.asp

Hood River, sleeps 14-24 $3000 per week

http://www.vrbo.com/84601

School House can accommodate 30

http://www.bingenschool.com/

Large Houses Hood River Vacations (sleep about 10 but we could cram in more)

http://www.hrvacations.com/property4.htm#cloudnine

More Large Houses

http://www.gorgeres.com/accom1.htm

Yeah, I hope to get lots of feedback.

Please be creative in your searches too. I just looked for the basics.....a lodge in Hood River that can accomodate 30 of us.

Remember, even if it "sleeps" 20 or so, we will have multiple people sharing beds (some couples coming), and there will be plenty of livingroom space for people to put down sleeping bags or matresses, etc..

We'll find a sweet place and I'll try to take a forum member or two over there next week to scope some out.

I'm all for sleeping on the floor, I don't need a bed.

Oh yeah, and in Portland, I'd like to stay with the nerds. Wherever they stay.

As far as lodging goes, I like #2 and 3.

I prefer sleeping in a living room or something, me and Ed can play Mario all night. lol....

Edited by Zack

Remember, even if it "sleeps" 20 or so, we will have multiple people sharing beds (some couples coming), and there will be plenty of livingroom space for people to put down sleeping bags or matresses, etc..

Plus we can sleep in shifts. When the early risers get up, the nightowls can crash.

Yes, I'm kidding... mostly.

A place to crash for the portland time would be great. I've slept on chairs before so if you've got a chair(not just a big comfy one, i'm talkin like desk chairs) i'm totally taken care of.

Once we get the dates finalized I think we should have a thread for who wants to have "foreign" vegans in their house.

Just remember, if anyone wants to come to chicago, they can sleep in my house.

A place to crash for the portland time would be great. I've slept on chairs before so if you've got a chair(not just a big comfy one, i'm talkin like desk chairs) i'm totally taken care of.

Once we get the dates finalized I think we should have a thread for who wants to have "foreign" vegans in their house.

Just remember, if anyone wants to come to chicago, they can sleep in my house.

Maybe i'll take you up on that one day soon. I expect I'll be driving up to Minnesota this summer. My mom lives there, and my brother will. Illinois is conveniently about halfway!

I may have to come with you to Minnesota.

Goin anywhere near Eden Prairie? I think it's by the St. Paul/ Minneapolis area.

yessir, my mom and the rest of my family lives less than 15-20 minutes from eden prairie. I was there a lot when I lived there.

Cool, I hadn't even thought of that. I was just thinking of lodges and cabins....although we will be spending time together and in nature, I think many would like to have internet access and a hot tub like some of these vacation homes offer Also the big kitchen and TV for video game playing (the most aniticipated activity) would be good.

I'm sure we'll find the perfect place sometime. I look forward to going over there next week with a few places in mind to visit.

Feel free to help us find a place It can all be done online until I make the trip over there. We're just searching for lodges or cabins or retreat destinations online and making a short list for me and a few others to review in about a week.

Thanks! This will be fun!

Cool, I hadn't even thought of that. I was just thinking of lodges and cabins....although we will be spending time together and in nature, I think many would like to have internet access and a hot tub like some of these vacation homes offer Also the big kitchen and TV for video game playing (the most aniticipated activity) would be good.

I'm sure we'll find the perfect place sometime. I look forward to going over there next week with a few places in mind to visit.

Hot Tub is a must for sure