We need to decide Dates Soon!

robert

Let's throw some dates out there.

I'm searching for accomodations for places in Hood River, OR (One hour east of Portland) and due to the awesomeness of the town, there are tons of wedding parties and reunions, etc. that get booked up in August.

Luckily, many of the lodges and cabins I'm looking at still have availability in early August.

Here are my thoughts.

Vegan Vacation Retreat for 7 days in Hood River, OR (Forum members ONLY)

Then we move over to Portland, staying at member's houses for the next 3-5 days doing community involvement like last year (visit an animal sanctuary, watching chef demos, activism downtown promoting veganism, hitting the dance clubs, visiting ALL the Vegan stores and restaurants in Portland, and doing some joint projects with NW VEG, the vegetarian/vegan organization out here.

Someone suggested starting on a weekend so we get 2 or three actual weekends for those Portland residents who have to work.

What about something like:

August 2-8 at the Lodge in Hood River and

August 9-12th in Portland

Total dates would be Aug 2nd-12th, but people would be welcome to come early or stay late and have a place to stay since so many of us live here. 11 days of Vegan Vacation, plus extra for those traveling from far away who want to stay longer, or for anyone for that matter, who wants to stay longer.

I just made up those dates so I'm seeking feedback.

Input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Those dates could work, but a bit (like a week or maybe two) earlier would be much better for me so that I'll have enough time to get back home (I'm roadtripping, with a stop to make after Oregon) when I need to be back. Anything later than those dates probably won't work for me at all.

Can we turn this into a poll, maybe?

Yeah, please suggest a few dates that would work for you and we'll take a poll. Remember that it may not work for everyone since we're talking about more than 30 individuals with their own schedules.

We'll do the best we can though.

Suggest a few times and I'll make some polls....or someone can start a poll on their own.

I'd like to see it as a 10-12 day event with 7 days being the core of it at a retreat area.

Is end of july cool? That way flanders could still make it and be at his partners b-day. I think that might work better for me too but i'm not sure. I'm coming no matter what as i've already stayed, i may just need to argue more.

I really like the hood river idea. I have family friends there so that'd be cool to show up at their house. I think their daughter might be a vegan as well. That's what my mom told me anyway. Not to mention there's some pretty awesome hiking and whitewater rafting and windsurfing etc etc.

Dates just need to be finalized. Maybe a 5 day retreat/5 day portland? Or are we going for a more 2 week thing? I suck at logistics so it might be better just to see who has huge conflicts and try and minimize those.

Good date selection. I'm about to go to sleep, and tomorrow I'll be away from the computer ALL day, but let's give it a day for people to list their preferences and then we'll start a poll.

Or someone can start a poll on their own too. Just please consider some of the conflicts some of us have, and give a variety of options.

Thanks!

"ThinThin" =

I'm pretty flexible but it seems like: Late July - Post AR2007 into early August - Just enough time for "The Monster from Muenster" to get home to his sweetie - is most ideal.

The Hood River / Portland split sounds good plus Hood River is close enough to make regular trips into the city during the week if they want to.

Robert, when ya say "Forum members ONLY" I assume that includes forum member's partners &/or kids?

More about Hood River: Hood River is a nice little town surrounded by stunning, world-class scenery & lands. It's right on the edge of the Columbia River - famed for many things but esp. the gorgeous gorge (hehe) + windsurfing & with volcanic, snow-capped Mt. Hood rising from the edge of town. Outside of town are great fruit orchards, waterfalls & old-growth forests - just to name a few of the amazing things nearby.

For it's size, Hood River is very vegan friendly. There's Mother's Market, a small but full service natural foods grocery store there that is apparently almost entirely vegan! From what I hear they have a great entirely vegan deli with awesome pizza. Turtle Island Foods, makers of the Tofurkey line of products is also based in Hood River.

A little further out you can find tons more great stuff including:

- Hot springs by the Columbia River (30 minutes driving)

- The Maryhill Museum of Art with it's art collections and - get this - a fullsize replica of Stonehenge! (about 1 hour driving)

- Thinking of our friend Crystal: Smith Rock State Park is famous for it's rock climbing & is just a couple hours south in Oregon's awesome high desert country

- Between Portland & Hood River is Multnomah Falls, the 2nd highest year-round waterfall in the US

more to come...

Ps. Michelle: Thanks for doing a poll for this!

Edited by loveliberate

I'm pretty flexible but it seems like: Late July - Post AR2007 into early August - Just enough time for "The Monster from Muenster" to get home to his sweetie - is most ideal.

Robert, when ya say "Forum members ONLY" I assume that includes forum member's partners &/or kids?

More about Hood River: Hood River is a nice little town surrounded by stunning, world-class scenery & lands. It's right on the edge of the Columbia River - famed for many things but esp. the gorgeous gorge (hehe) + windsurfing & with volcanic, snow-capped Mt. Hood rising from the edge of town. Outside of town are great fruit orchards, waterfalls & old-growth forests - just to name a few of the amazing things nearby.

There's a small but full service natural foods grocery store there that is apparently almost entirely vegan! From what I hear they have a great entirely vegan deli with awesome pizza. Turtle Island Foods, makers of the Tofurkey line of products is also based in Hood River.

A little further out you can find tons more great stuff including:

- Hot springs by the Columbia River (30 minutes driving)

- The Maryhill Museum of Art with it's art collections and - get this - a fullsize replica of Stonehenge! (about 1 hour driving)

- Thinking of our friend Crystal: Smith Rock State Park is famous for it's rock climbing & is just a couple hours south in Oregon's awesome high desert country

- Between Portland & Hood River is Multnomah Falls, the 2nd highest year-round waterfall in the US

more to come...

I cant wait. this year should be great! plus I feel so much closer to all my friends from the forum and im sure by the time VV comes around it will only get better

Yeah partners and family members are welcome. I just meant, we'll do a retreat just for forum members, instead of last year where ever event was open to the community.

We'll hopefully do a full week just for us to all hang out and bond and get to know each other and all that, and then go into Portland for a few days and do some stuff within the community possibly a few joint activities with NW Veg (www.nwveg.org) and Organic Athlete (www.organicathlete.org).

It should rock!

Although I would really love her to be with me (both on my way to develope myself in the right direction and to Portland) she does not join me so far but stays at home with Marla.

A short explanation: She is a long term vegetarian (13 years). When I started my vegan journey a few years ago I did not integrate her (which would have been wise). I provided her with information but did not listen to her enough - my mistake.

As I went on she just stayed vegetarian and is happy with it. At this point she is not willing to change or even discuss her diet. She just loves her tea and coffee with milk.

But be sure I will talk to her about it again...