Keeper Menstrual Cup/ Diva cup

Anyone use one of these? I've wanted one forever and finally bought one at the health food store today since they actually had one. It was a little bit pricey $35 but I usually have really wicked heavy flow and spend around 15-20 bucks a month on tampons anyways. And if it doesn't work for you they'll give you your money back its guaranteed for like a year. It seems to be pretty cool at the moment. I'll let you know how it goes further. If anyone else has experience with these please share.

I thought about getting a keeper. Then I found out there was something else, called a Diva cup that was similar. And there's a moon cup, which is the same thing but made from silicone. Just to make things a bit more complicated, they come in multiple sizes, too.. and too big or too small would be equally bad. I'm not entirely sure how to determine the size of my vagina. There is apparently no scientific formula like what jewelers use to size rings. For $35 plus shipping, I want to get it right on the first try.

So, needless to say, I haven't ordered one yet.

But I have cut down on waste by switching to applicatorless tampons recently. I thought they would be harder to use, but they're not. And they fit much better in my purse or pocket, so I'm pleased.

Hey Michelle, the one i got is actually the Diva cup. Also made of silicone like the moon cup. It only comes in two sizes, one for if youve had children and one for if you haven't. I've been a fan of applicatorless tampons for around 5 years, but I have to tell you, this Diva cup, is perhaps the most awesome thing EVER. I recommend everyone get one! If your already using applicatorless tampons using this thing is going to be a breeze for you. It's so freakin cool. I don't want to sound gross, but its pretty awesome to actually see whats coming out of you too. You should get one and try it, i think they give you a guarantee that if it doesnt work for you you can send it back.

I don't want to sound gross, but its pretty awesome to actually see whats coming out of you too.

I don't think it's gross at all. I'm amazed at women who are grossed out by their own period, I'm sure it's just more culturally induced bullshit. Kudos to you for exploring and embracing your own body.

I don't want to sound gross, but its pretty awesome to actually see whats coming out of you too.

I don't think it's gross at all. I'm amazed at women who are grossed out by their own period, I'm sure it's just more culturally induced bullshit. Kudos to you for exploring and embracing your own body.

Thanks Michael, ya i totally agree with you that it's culturally induced bullshit. I mean i guess it depends on who raised you but for most, it's reflected as dirty and something to hide. It's hard to get your mind around it, it's been a process for me. Haha i tried to tell my mom about the diva cup and she was making weird faces and ive tried to tell a couple friends about it. One took it cool but the others have been grossed out. Oh well theyre the ones missing out cause this thing is the shit.

I used to use the diva cup. Years ago between pregnancies but, my period was highly irregular and then I got pregnant again. I enjoyed it. I thought it was extremely convenient and ecological. Not gross at all, really. Like you, when I first bought it, I was tickled about it - such an awesome alternative to sucky tampons and messy maxipads.

Thanks for reminding me!

Like you, when I first bought it, I was tickled about it - such an awesome alternative to sucky tampons and messy maxipads.

Haha i think tickled is an understatement. I am borderline obsessed. I want to grab every female i see and tell her about it. I want to stand in the middle of the quad and shout propaganda about it...but considering i'm having a hard enough time making friend anyways i should just simmer down. At least all my long distance friends are handling it well. I'm now the friend who calls you and wants to talk about my vagina.

I been using the Diva Cup for over a year now. It rocks. Convenient, eco-friendly, and wicked for travelling.

Yes! I got my just in time to go to DC for war protest this past saturday, it was so awesome not having to worry about it.

so freakin aweeeesooooomeee WooooPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

( i'm currently doing a little jig around my room)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Keeper and would never go back to tampons. Miki at www.RandomGirl.com has a lot of information about the keeper. Definitely check out her Menstrual Products Heirarchy Page.

Supposedly, there was something similar available in the 70's (mom had a copy of Our Bodies, Our Selves) and I used to look for it in the local drug store - very naive. You will never see these sold in a conventional store because the companies that make tampons and pads would lose millions or billions if all women became environmentally aware of the waste involved in modern "sanitary" menstruation care.

Good for all of you who've made the switch. And for all of you considering it - do it! You won't regret it.

My friend got me a Diva cup over a year ago for my birthday. I tried it a couple months in a row but never had success with it. Honestly, I forgot about the fact that I had it until I moved a couple months ago.

Im starting my period now, I think I'll try it this time. I just remember being so frustrated at not being able to get it inserted properly.

I really love the idea of it though. Like everyone said, eco-friendly and you don't have to worry about carrying extra stuff with you.

My friend got me a Diva cup over a year ago for my birthday. I tried it a couple months in a row but never had success with it. Honestly, I forgot about the fact that I had it until I moved a couple months ago.

Im starting my period now, I think I'll try it this time. I just remember being so frustrated at not being able to get it inserted properly.

I really love the idea of it though. Like everyone said, eco-friendly and you don't have to worry about carrying extra stuff with you.

i think the most important thing is spinning it around once to make sure it opens up. You should try it again tho...cause when it works, its the shit.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add my two cents while I was floating around.....I've been the proud owner of a (tabless) Keeper for about six years now. And ya know what? I agree with everything you're saying!!! This thing is totally the most awesome thing ever created for women!! I also agree with the whole "shouting it from the rooftops" thing that was mentioned. Once, while I was in college, I wanted to try becoming some kind of rep for the Keeper, but I was afraid it would gross a lot of women out. I tried to share it with one of the girls I knew, but she wasn't so sure about having to go up inside herself or something along those lines. Not only are we not contributing to the ever growing waste dumps in our country, but we have happier vaginas now that no chemically bleached cotton is shoved up them and they can "breathe" freely (sorry, I've done the Vagina Monologues a few times; the openness about vagina talk is actually quite liberating and addictive, if I might say). And I definitely don't miss the feeling of a half-dry tampon...blech!...still makes me shudder just to think about it.

To those women who are still contemplating it, please do give it a try. And if you've tried that Instead crap that they had out a while ago, it is NOTHING like the Keeper/Diva/Moon cup. I had the worst experience trying that Instead thing!!

I second the spinning thing too. It took me a while to figure out where my Keeper "sat" up there, but when it suctions itself to your insides you definitely know it.

If anyone would like to talk more about experiences with these things or if you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask!! Like I said before, I'm pretty open about that sort of thing (I believe all women should be so proud of what their bodies can do, but like someone else has already said, we seem to be conditioned to think of our period as dirty and secret), so don't be shy!!

Jen

you're officially a rockin' guy!

no pad or tampon has a proper design it absolutely blows my mind... they are not effective. and here in australia they are taxed as a LUXURY can you freaking believe that? hate this misogynistic government we have *head explodes* and the waste! the unbelievable waste!

i used to use sponges but they can get a bit "caught" up there, i've been meaning to get a keeper for years... maybe it's time i did!

• 5 months later...

I've been using the Keeper for about a year. I tried cotton pads (due to enviro concerns of using pads/tampons) and liked those ok.

The Keeper doesn't make me feel all stopped up and crampy like tampons. I can't even tell it is in there.

There is nothing else I trust enough to wear to bed completely nude. I have never leaked with the Keeper.

My only problem was once I pulled it out while half asleep and made a big mess. It wasn't nearly as big of a problem as when my dogs would get into the bathroom garbage or chew up my Glad Rags

Every woman should try the Diva Cup or Keeper. It may seem a bit costly initially but it pays off, especially if you usually buy organic pads/tampons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i've had my diva cup for almost 6 mos & i love it. at first, for sure i was afraid to tell anyone, especially since none of my girl friends had even ever heard of the diva cup before. i don't know why there is this connotation with it being gross.. it's kinda embarrasing (even my mom thought it was a bad idea) but i'm over it now. i always hated tampons anyway and you can't carry them around with you 24/7 like you can a diva cup. i really enjoy mine & i hope i have it for as long as i'll need it ! & i recommend them to every womyn