!! PUSH-UPS !!

Bloom

I started doing push-ups last week (real push-ups, straight back and knees, and on my toes) last week I could only do about ONE and now I can do SIX. I am doing them about 2-3 times I day. So far when I do them I can almost go down till my arms are at right angles. I NEED to be able to do 30 by the end of March and work up from there.

Does anyone have any special push-up secrets that they would share with me? I was thinking about maybe using some weight machines to build strength but I think that just doing the actual push-ups is best practice.

Congratulations on your progress!

You could work on negative push-ups. Do as many as you can on your toes, then do a few more reps by going to your knees at the bottom, pushing up from the knee position, then going to plank at the top and slowly lowering with straight legs.

Or do as many as you can on toes, then take a break (maybe a minute), then do more on your toes, another break, etc., until you make your desired total. Try to push yourself to get just one more rep in the early sets each time you do it.

I don't know if it might be better not to do them so often, as doing them 2-3 times a day might not give you enough recovery time so the muscles can get stronger.

Try changing them up with angle. Start out doing them with your arms up on two steps until you can do sets of ten(maybe you already can)...then go down to one step...then do them on the flat...later you'll be able to do them with your feet on the steps or a chair...it makes them much more difficult...you'll be doing 30 in no time

Yes hmm. I need to work out what works best for me. Weather i should be doing them twice a day, once a day or every other day. I think I should be giving my body ONE day of rest each week. Maybe a Saturday or Sunday where I don’t do any exercise at all?

I also attempted to do a chin up/pull up today off the swing set in the back ward.. And I could not even lift myself one inch! :oops: But the pull ups are not important at this point.

Good Job!!!Awesome!!

I'm with willpeavy-I go till failure no matter what.I get mad results.

I can do 5 more a day that way.

Push yourself!!(it is a push-up haha).Feel that burn.Feel the results.Feel the energy.Feel the strength.Feel the success!

Just keep doin them no matter what and you'll suprise yourself.

30 by the end of march??haha I though your in comedy cuz that's funny!

End of FEB at this rate!!Your rockin this joint!!

MUUuSIC MUUuST BE LOUD! to pump you up!!

Good luck and push HARD!

I'm not sure if someone has already suggested this but what I used to do was change the placement of my hands. The closer they are in the more it is going to work the inside of your pecs and the further apart they are the more outside it is going to work (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Oh you can do so much with just push-ups.

You can raise your legs on a chair or something and BOOM you now have an incline pushup-working more of your UPPER pecs and deltoids too.

If you put your hands really wide then your adding a nice upper back workout.

Put you hand reeally close together and you get a vrey targeted workout to the TRICEPS.

Push up rule!Have Fun.

Good luck!!

FYI & FWIW:

I got a scale & measured how much weight I was "pushing" during a pushup - it was roughly about two-thirds of my bodyweight. That was with my feet/toes on the floor. By putting my feet on a chair I added anouther 20 pounds. With my feet on a table a couple of feet higher than the chair I only added about 10 more pounds.

Push ups are really versitile...one thing you can also do is fill a backpack with books when you do them...this is what I always did on vacation when I couldn't get to a gym...my squats never really went down much even with a 3 week break but my bench went to crap if I didn't do anything for more than a week

I totally forgot about the push-up. I will start incorporating that into my curl bar workout for sure. Is it advisable to do curls one day then push ups the next? Or would it be better to do them both the same day then rest a day? Also if you have any ideas for curl bar variations I am more than open to them.

When you hold your hands close on pushups it hits tris more. One of my favorite ways to do them is on a bowling ball. Get a bowling ball for a dollar at a thrift store and do pushups with your hands balanced on the sides of the ball. Or if you're really hardcore try doing one arm bowling ball pushups

I do sets to failure - however many I can do, and usually 3 sets - 4 or 5 days a week and I've been able to consistently up my reps in a single set. I also mix in sets of really slow, technical push ups, stopping half way on the way up and down, and varying the hand width. I also do some on knuckles, some on fingertips and some on thumbs, but not high reps.

Interestingly, my first set to failure is often less reps and sloppier at the end than my second set with a rest in between of a few minutes. ?? This isn't always the case, so it may have something to do with how warmed up I am.