My Unholy Obsession with Sun-dried Tomatoes

bighead

mediterranean Organics brand imports these sun-dried tomatoes from Turkey that are the real deal. Handmade and sun-dried in the warm Turkish sun, they are salted with Mediterranean sea salt. Holy vishnu and jolly Buddha!! i can't stop eating these things. they're not like the packaged dried tomatoes you're used to... you know, those hard tomatoes that you have to rehydrate. these are ready to eat right out of the package. it's like Turkish dried figs or apricots, only salty and tomatoes. it might not sound good, but i cannot stress to you how addictive these things are. i eat a bag in about 48 hours. i put them on salads, in greens, in wraps, make sauces. heck, i eat them with my fruit!

but they're not listed on the website, so either they're new or else the folks at the company are evil and planning to pull the plug on my addiction!! if they suddenly stop carrying or imprting these, i will buy a plane ticket to turkey and set up the deal to import them myself!!!

i'll post some recipes and such at a later date. right now, i'm going to go finish the bag!

Those sound so good. I'm a sun-dried tomato fiend. Where can I buy these little suckers, Whole Foods?

yeah, i bought them at whole foods! check the whole foods website or ask the manager at your local store. i'm in LA and most of the whole foods markets around here sell them!

You could blend these up in a food processor, and use them as a raw tomato paste (for 'pasta sauce' or pizza topping).

Is there anything funky added to them or done to them to keep them moist, like are they sulfured (many 'moist' dried fruits are, since it allows them to hold more moisture).

um... they're organic so that would be a no.

it's the fact that they are salted and actually "sun-dried" as opposed to dehydrated that makes them chewy. they're from turkey and they are organic and fair trade. two ingredients: organic tomato halves and sea salt.