Can you eat rolled oats raw?

Ahhh...we had this funky little shelf on the landing of the step to our basement when I was little. We, of course, stocked our oats there. I could be caught eating raw oats by the handful while sitting on the stairs in the dark. I'm still strange so it should be no question that I was strange then, too. I personally used to go for the dried pasta dipped in peanut butter...

I was thinking of getting some organic oats from the supermarket, but I was unsure if they were still classed as raw. I keep hearing the term groats, but I'm unsure what they are exactly. I realise they are oats, but are they partially processed or what ? I'm such a newb

I live in the UK, so can't get stuff easily from Alissa Cohen's site. It cost me $55 postage to get her book and DVD to me.

Basically I would like to know how to tell if oats are still raw when I buy them. What should I look for on the labelling ? Those with wisdom please un-newb me on the whole oats buying thing

I was thinking of getting some organic oats from the supermarket, but I was unsure if they were still classed as raw. I keep hearing the term groats, but I'm unsure what they are exactly. I realise they are oats, but are they partially processed or what ? I'm such a newb

I live in the UK, so can't get stuff easily from Alissa Cohen's site. It cost me $55 postage to get her book and DVD to me.

Basically I would like to know how to tell if oats are still raw when I buy them. What should I look for on the labelling ? Those with wisdom please un-newb me on the whole oats buying thing

This UK site usually has really raw rolled oats, but the shop is currently down. Here is a link for future reference if you would like it.

http://rawliving.co.uk/order.php

are they usually raw?

cuz i've got organic rolled oats... but they're not saying if it's raw or not..

Usually roasted/steamed. Raw is harder to find.

oh.. that sucks...anyways.. do you buy it raw?

No, I don't really see the point...

are they usually raw?

are they edible?

are they usually raw?

are they edible?

Quite.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I've read and been told, rolled oats - raw or otherwise - need to be soaked in order to help the body get a head start on breaking them down.

And Monow...there is a great raw magazine called Funky Raw based in the UK. They have an online mag and an actual paper mag, and they are a great raw resource.

From what I've read and been told, rolled oats - raw or otherwise - need to be soaked in order to help the body get a head start on breaking them down.

And Monow...there is a great raw magazine called Funky Raw based in the UK. They have an online mag and an actual paper mag, and they are a great raw resource.

They are already steamed. I have been eating them without cooking for a month now and have been doing great!

DivaDolce - Love your Secret signature!!

Thanks Elijah!

As an answer to the question of "what's the point of raw oats?", it is the same reason to eat ANY raw at all: raw oats are more fresh, barely processed, and they are a more direct source of the nutrients from the plant itself. The fact that raw oats have about an 8-week shelf life before they go rancid is also another indication its a LIVING FOOD and the freshest choice, as opposed to the rolled oats which have a seemingly eternal shelf life. Raw oats (oat groats) can even be sprouted and therefore still have life in them, while rolled oats are dead seeds and enter the body that way.

A good analogy is to imagine a head of broccoli, green, full of life, enzymes, nutrients...then steam cook it, roll it flat, let it dry, package it into a box that sits on a shelf for months, now add water, re-heat it...NOW eat it. IMO Yigck. Most of the nutrients that could have been had are long gone.

OK peeps...here's the lowdown on raw whole oats....

Here is a link to a page with great info and photos that describes the differences between various oats and processing - stuff I always wondered but never knew..here ya go! http://www.foodsubs.com/GrainOats.html#oat%20groats

info from karenskitchen.com:

"Can I eat oats RAW? Yes, with an explantion. Most of the oats that you see out there are not really raw. Oats are a very soft, moist grain, and they go rancid quickly, so manufacturers steam them at about 212 degrees to set the flavors so they won't go bad. So even a whole kernal oat grain will not sprout because it has been killed by this steaming process unless you were lucky enough to find a real live raw oat grain."

here is a recipe and some similar raw oat info from www.living-foods.com:

Raw Oatmeal - by Nomi Shannon

1/2 Cup raw whole oats *, soaked overnight in pure water to cover.

1/4 Cup almonds, soaked overnight in pure water to cover.

2 figs or 2 pitted dates, soaked in 1/2 cup pure water overnight.

1/2 banana dash of cinnamon

In the morning, drain and discard water from oats and almonds. Rinse almonds. Put oats, almonds, fruit and fruit soak water in blender and blend until fairly smooth. Add banana and cinnamon and blend quickly. Serves 1. Eat immediately.

note: Finding raw oats is difficult. My favorite source tells me that because whole raw oats turn rancid quite quickly, the companies that supply it are "lightly steaming" the oats after harvest. This is not a good thing - as steam reaches 212 degrees and will destroy all the enzymes. Ask your source, but don’t be surprised if they don’t really know that this is what is happening to the oats. This is a delicious and hearty recipe, but unless you are sure the oats are truly raw - don’t indulge in it too often. Try this same recipe with other whole raw grains such as Barley, Kamut or Spelt.

from Alissa Cohen's site:

Really Raw Organic Oat Flakes 1lb bag

flaked to order

Most oats you find on the market and in health food stores are heat treated with steam or infra red light to extend the shelf life even though they say they are raw.

THESE oats are truly raw oats. They are freshly ground from whole oats in small batches. Just soak for a couple of hours or overnight (I usually only soak it for ½ hour since im impatient) and it still gets soft and creamy) add some bananas, raisins and your good to go! An amazing thing with these oats – you don’t even need to add almond milk or other nut milks. I just soak in water and add a little agave and some fruit and it tastes like a creamy, sweet porridge with a milk base!

Ingredients: oat groats, flaked

For the hard core raw foodies....Alissa Cohen's oat groats come already flaked, but if you wanna flake 'em ya dam self you can get an Oat Flaker Mill at www.pleasanthillgrain.com/grain_flaker.aspx They also have a home kitchen Family Grain Mill that actually looks pretty cool because it does everything, grinds grain, nuts, chops veggies, has a fruit press attachment, etc....

for all of you UK peeps, this is from rawliving.co.uk:

THEY'RE BACK !!!

By popular demand, Raw Living Oats! Virtually all oats on the UK marketplace are heat-treated to stabilise them so they don't go rancid. We have fresh oats from Surrey prepared specially for us. They have a shelf-life of up to eight weeks. Rolled oats for porridge making and flapjacks £4.95. Whole oat groats for sprouting £3.95.

Princessbee, I looked high and low for Aussie resources for flaked raw oat groats but I found none so far, but I'm sure they have it somewhere down there!:)

And THIS..LOL...I just thought it was funny...

"Unprocessed oat groats are removed from the seed heads of oat hay and unaltered in any way. These groats maintain the fiber of the seeds still in the hay. Our unprocessed oat groats will thrill even the most finicky of rabbits, birds, hammies, chins, and piggies.

Feed in very small quantities as a treat only. Recommended serving not to exceed 1 teaspoon per day per pet. This treat is not suitable for obese pets."

(Sigh.) I think my work here is done.