Agave Nectar as a skin humectant?

Evan

Hi All,

I have a question about agave nectar. It's used in place of honey but does it have any of the same humectant qualities for the skin that honey does?

I'm asking because I am sometimes required to give the "Texas Wild Flower Honey Facial" at the spa where I work part time. It's actually kinda popular. People like the idea of having local honey smeared all over their faces. "Local honey" is such a trendy catch phrase these days, especially in Texas where seasonal allergies are fierce and consuming local honey is believed to help reduce allergies.

It would be nice if I could convince my boss that agave nectar would be a better facial base. Probably won't fly but I thought I'd ask about it.

I don't think it would work, but you can always try. It's sticky (but honey is as well). It doesn't have the antibacterial, antifungal properties honey does.

Something that would be a good facial is avocado. There are also other vegan foods that can be used as facials: oatmeal, for example, which would be good for sensitive skin or rosacea (there are some books out there about making your own facial care products, though I can't think of any titles off hand).

yeah those are some good alternatives but some people are allergic to avocado. I was looking into agave nectar because it resembles honey and that seems to be the rage right now. Go figure. I'm gonna do some more digging and thanks for the suggestions.