Nutrition Question - Can I see what you typically eat?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutting out all processed stuff to the best degree I can as it seems all the naturopathic philosophy for treating my eye condition says to go mostly raw and stick with whole foods, so I'm working my way over that direction (but still a long way from it as the raw thing is tough for me). Eating less than usual when training since I'm taking some time off and dieting down a bit, sticking between 2300 and 2500 cal/day which is my "lose weight slowly without exercise" range.

Meal 1 - 3 pieces sprouted grain toast, 2 with organic raspberry conserves and 1 with organic peanut butter, small glass of organic orange juice

Meal 2 - Big old salad - all spinach greens, mushrooms, 2 kinds of sprouts, purple cabbage, black eyed peas, topped with about 2-2.5 tbsp of Legere's Nutritonal Yeast Dressing (I hold the last 6 bottles in existence and won't give them up!) and a splash of balsamic vinegar

Meal 3 - Indian 3-bean salad, around 6 oz. (all beans, scallions and purple onions with a light vinaigrette marinade), also 2 scoops of chocolate Vega in water

Snack - around 2 oz. of hot spiced raw sprouted pumpkin seeds

Meal 4, which I'll be having in around 20 minutes, will be leftover sesame udon noodles with tofu, carrots (which I'm trying to learn to like) and sprouts, and a small handful of organic goji berries

Final snack will be some tamari brown rice crackers and spicy cashews (not raw, unfortunately)

This is a far cry from the usual staple of processed stuff I'd normally eat, but I'm going on a minimum 6-month plan to eat very well at least 6 days/week, and if I eat a meal or two of not-so-fresh stuff on the weekend, so be it!

every morning the same breakfast only with variating fruits.

100g oats

20g raisins

10g flax seed

10g dehulled hemp seeds

10g soy flour (fat reduced)

100g fruits (apples, bananas, strawberry, raspberry, differs every day)

250ml alpro soy milk

200ml of multivitamine juice

820kcal, 120g carbs, 20g fat, 40g protein. this breakfast helped me to get bigger

then i'm eating (black wild) rice (14g/100g protein), potatoes, wholemeal noodles, foods rich in protein (soy products, beans, nuts, lupines, vegetables). my last meal is a salad with high protein soy texturate (64g/100g proteins and only 0,5g fats and 1g carbs).

some of my meals you can see here:

viewtopic.php?t=9237

• 2 months later...

I always have the same shake for breakfast:

140 g of oatmeal

30 g of dried fruits (such as currants and cranberries)

25 g of soy protein (chocolate flavour)

15 g of rice protein

700 mL of rice milk (17 % rice)

I divide this on in to portions, among with the second one i drink some good oil.

That is indeed my personal calorie bomb (1400 ckal), since i am not a great eater.

The rest of the day i eat pasta, rice, vegetables and always tofu.

• 2 months later...
Here we go:

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/2561/energynm8.gif

How long have you been eating like this?

Right now I eat fewer dates and more fresh fruit like bananas, apples, peaches, apricots etc. and therefor fewer calories. I ate this way during the whole winter. I eat differently during summer since I try to "listen to my bodies needs" and I usually crave and like those fruit and vegetables most that are in saison.

• 1 month later...

Here's what I've been eating lately. I make sure to mix up the types of veggies, beans, fruit, legumes and I stick to whole grains.

Breakfast -

Cup of oats or whole grain cereal & oat milk

Two whole pieces of fruit - banana, kiwi.. anything really

Smoothie with oat/almond milk, spirulina, berries, LSA, chopped almonds

Vitamins B12, Zinc & Iron

Big glass of water

Mid-morning -

Fruit

Water

Smoothie

Lunch -

Mixture of steamed veggies

Some kind of bean/lentil/chickpea dish

Water

Afternoon snack -

Mixed unsalted nuts & seeds

Dates

Water

Dinner -

More mixed steamed veggies

Quinoa

Big salad with spinach, tomato, mushrooms, chickpeas, corn..

Glass of oat milk

Water

A couple of hours before bed-

Smoothie

Apple

A few Dates

Water

Edited by sosso

Here we go:

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/2561/energynm8.gif

Was this in a day? that's a lot of dates

that's pretty much my diet, but lower mass. .. A lot more greens and no were near that much dates.

no nuts or seeds in my diet. But if it was up to my mind instead of listing to my body. I could eat a lot of dates in one sitting. Because they taste so darn good.

I eat more banana's on one day, I have been eating a lot of greens, citrus, and mangoes. But on different times.

I've seen you eat before, and I wouldn't be surprised if you told me you eat over 4000 calories in a day.

Flanders well said about saying "I really do not care as long as I am fit and feeling as good as I do"

I feel the same too.

A perfect blend shot for an endurance sport is blend up figs (sugar) (figs are in season right now) celery (sodium) and Water

I made a new table. Right now my diet looks like this:

I added fresh fruits and vegetables and reduced dates... Since oranges are out of season I do not eat them right now. As a social convention I eat a little bit of cooked food (rice, pasta, bread) with the big salad for dinner. I did not put it into the table because it a varying and very small amount amount. The overall calories are a little bit less than before but I maintained BW. I am pretty sure that it is not how much calories I put in but also where the calories com from. For me fresh is better dried.

Kalorien.jpg.bf600fce32eda0adffb9ef1480766bca.jpg

It is very essential for our body to take nutrition supplements.As in today's busy schedule a person generally skips his meals and becomes weak day by day.But there is one online nutrition supplement provider **URL removed by Syrlinus** which gives the nutrition supplements to compensate with your skipped meal.

It is very essential for our body to take nutrition supplements.As in today's busy schedule a person generally skips his meals and becomes weak day by day.But there is one online nutrition supplement provider **Removed by SyrLinus** which gives the nutrition supplements to compensate with your skipped meal.

@Admins: Do we really want this kind of ads for a non-vegan prodoct here?

Edited by SyrLinus
removed URL out of quote

• 2 weeks later...

I am a vegan newbie, just three weeks now, and coming off a traditional body building diet with loads of animal protein. I am still doing the eating six times a day/ "prep and pack all food the night before" gig and have never felt better. My workouts are more powerful than before, thanks to increased energy due to adding more carbs. Lost a bit of stubborn body fat too. I'm already very fit, so a common reaction to my lifestyle change is "you can't be a vegan...you will lose weight". My answer is "my weight is the same. All I've lost is massive amounts of GUILT".

Breakfast:

Meal 1: Either Parfait ( So Be Coconut Yogurt, granola and 2 whole pieces of fruit, cut up) or

Tofu Scramble (sauteed veggies like shrooms, onions and spinach with crumbled tofu)

Snack: almonds, 1 whole fruit

Lunch: big fat yummy sandwich with 2 slices Eziekel Bread, Vegan Griller Garden Burger, hummus, sprouts, cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded carrots, sliced radishes)

Snack 2: cut up raw veggies dipped in mustard, handful of nuts

Snack 3: Post workout shake: one scoop vegan protein powder made with berry iced tea, 1/2 banana, frozen berries and flaxseed

dinner: big veggie dinner with veggies and some healthy fat, like a curry with coconut milk, lentils with veggies roasted in extra virgin olive oil, or spelt pasta with veggies pureed with raw cashews and basil

snack 4: fruit and granola, lots of both

The key for me is to eat the most elegantly prepared, top quality food I can find. I do all my own cooking and try and spoil myself like I would spoil a cherished loved one. If you can't take good care of yoursef, you won't be strong enough to take care of anyone else! I work a zillion hours a week but always make time to make wonderful food for me...make the time and the effort and keep your diet interesting and tasty! The funny thing is that my skeptical co-workers are fascinated by what gourmet vegan food really looks like. I get a lot of "that looks great, did you give up the vegan thing already?" I will NEVER "give up the vegan thing". It's the best health decision I've made since I picked up a set of dumbbells.

That's great Heather!

This is my current meal plan, bearing in mind it changes regularly.

Meal 1- 150g pan fried Tempeh with 30g pumpkin seeds, greens(mostly spinach) and 100g sweet potato

Meal 2- smoothy with 30g gemma protein, 50g almonds, blueberries, raspberries, 10g spirulina

Meal 3- Same as meal 1

Pre workout- 15g essential amino acids, 3g creatine mono, espresso coffee

Post workout- 20g essential amino acids, 500mg Alpha lipoic acid, 3g creatine mono

Meal 4- 150g sweet potato, 50g pumpkin seeds, 50g sunflower seeds and greens

Meal 5- Same as meal 2

I don't really count calories or macronutrient ratios, I just go by how I look. Protein sources vary from various legumes, tofu, various sorts of nuts and seeds. They change from day to day.

• 3 months later...

Meal 1: Protein shake "soy protein, 12 oz of orange juice, banana, frozen berries, 1 TB of flax oil, 1 TS of Maca powder, 1 TB of powdered greens" and a multivitamin.

Meal 2: Bowl or two of raisin bran cereal with soy milk and 2 cups of coffee

Meal 3: 2 veggie burgers with lettuce, tomato, and onions on whole grain toast with tall glass of water

Meal 4: Protein shake "soy milk, soy protein powder, some sort of fruit, usually berries, banana, or papaya." maybe a salad, a peanut butter sandwich or some fruit.

Meal 5: A big vegan entree such as: chili with corn bread, baked tofu cutlets with mash potatoes and salad, lentil puree over baked potatoes with sauteed collard greens, etc..

Meal 6: Leftovers from the earlier meal or a protein shake with a sandwich

*Depending on how hungry I am each day depends on my serving sizes. I generally eat every 2 or three hours and always try to have something on hand like a big pot of soup with bread, bean/rice dish or baked tofu strips, etc. to use for quick meals. I try to only cook once per day, but I'll make a lot so that it will last all day or maybe even a couple of days. It is usually my big meal like meal 5.

I have beeen vegan for almost 6 years now and I was a vegetarian before that. I am still trying to improve my diet (for a leaner look but I don't think it is that bad. Here is what I normally eat and I enjoy my diet,

Morning

1/4 - 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal

Mid-morning

I may have a snack like an apple or small can of low sodium v8 juice. But generally I try to not eat at this time.

Lunchtime

This meal varies a bit. Usually I will have:

-1 whole grain tortilla or 2slices of light bread or a whole grain such as rice or quinoa, on rare occasions I will splurge and have some couscous.

Raw vegetables and maybe 1 Tablespoon of fat free dressing.

Then, if I have not eaten too much, I might also have 1/2 cup beans or a peice of fruit.

Mid-afternoon

I might have some raw veggies at this time, like 1/2 cup baby carrots. But, again, I generally try not to eat at this time.

Dinner-time

1 bag prepared salad mix

1/2 cup raw tomatoes

1-2 Tablespoons fat free dressing

If I am still hungry I will also have some low calorie soup or some more vegetables. Or I might have a peice of fruit or 1/4 cup oat bran, but I try not to eat too many starchy carbs in the evening.

Also, I usually eat 1 1/2 - 2 heads of lettuce each day! I incorporate it into my meals and also just snack on it so I don't necessarily eat the same quanity at the same time each day.

• 2 weeks later...
To see what I typically eat, go to this page:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/nutrition.html

Hi,

The above link does not seem to work. Is there any other link which can be referred. Also, your daily total consumption is above 4000 calories. Is this not too much ? How do you determine, how many calories of food we need to consume to maintain the current body weight?

• 2 weeks later...
To see what I typically eat, go to this page:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/nutrition.html

Hi,

The above link does not seem to work. Is there any other link which can be referred. Also, your daily total consumption is above 4000 calories. Is this not too much ? How do you determine, how many calories of food we need to consume to maintain the current body weight?

Go to the main page ( http://www.veganbodybuilding.com ) and select Articles then Nutrition help. There are a ton of Robert's meal plans listed there.

The calories you consume will depend on your goals and activity level. Robert is extremely active, so 4000 is a pretty solid number of calories, considering he'll burn off a good chunk of that at the gym. It's different for everyone though. For example, I'm trying to gain, so I eat quite a bit more than I need, especially after a workout. I don't count, but I'm sure it's about or over 4000. What I would focus on more than counting calories is making sure you are eating whole fresh foods and eating until full, not stuffing yourself (like I do, haha). If you want to maintain your current body weight, just eat when you feel hungry, and if you're working out, be sure to replace the calories you burn off after a workout.

today i did 3hrs with lance armstrong in the mountains and then a 1 hr recovery ride afterwards. so thats around 2500cals for the day training wise. add 2500cals for someone my fitness, height, weight, gender etc and we have 5000cals.

i ate around 900g of carb yesterday and that fueled todays training. so now ive finished training for the day, im eating for tommorrows training..

WHAT WE EAT TODAY, POWERS US TOMMORROW.. we must rember this. thats why you wont see lance eating a big meal right before the race start..its always big meals AFTER training to replenish spent glycogen stores.

when we ride, we should eat around 1g per kg of bodyweight if we want to really go hard. if we are riding easy, then .5g of carbs will suffice per hour.

i count my cals not cos im worried about getting too much, cos im focus on gettting ENOUGH! imagine if i got dropped by lance and the team today cos i was undereating carbs all week? lol! they would say' fcuk, that vegan dude is weak ass!'

but today i was attack'n up the road and riding faster than lance and co wanted. they are saving their legs for the race on sunday.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really an answer to your question but it terms of your protein source, which I guess is most important for you as a body-builder, that's certainly a lot of tofu! I don't know if you've read the studies between link between high soy consumption and estrogen levels but that may have some effect on a guy's results (there is the belief that there are sterols in soy products that may increase ones estrogen level, good for women, maybe not so good for men right?) Not quite sure what you can do about that though, but like others have suggested maybe you could try out hemp protein, seitan, tempeh (though that's soy too...). If you do the whole processed food thing, Cliff Bars make a Protein Bar that's really awesome and has 20g of protein per bar.

Lately I've been consuming around 4000 - 4200 calories each day and 180 - 200 g protein.

Protein sources include tempeh, tofu, oats, beans, chickpeas, lentils, quinoa, soy milk, rice milk, brown rice protein, nuts & seeds.

Other foods I eat are spinach, dates, bananas, apples, oranges, other green veggies and fruits like pineapple and watermelon from time to time.