Ok I swear I'm not a dork!

teresarosie

I just recently became raw and had a few questions...

1. Rolled Oats- Are they raw?

2. I have a 22 month old shouldn't he be getting the fat from the soy milk still and what if all he wants to do is eat like 5 (literally) bananas a day and just a few seeds and nuts.

And 3. I have a 7 month old who is still nursing and starting on veggies and stuff. Is the organic jars of baby food raw? And if not, what should I feed him?

Thanks so much for your help!

Teresa

If you go to thegardendiet.com you'll find Storm and Jinjee and their little ones, a 100% raw vegan family. There is some great info on raw during pregnancy and raising raw kids. Also, the Gabriel Cousins Living Foods Cuisine book has a section on what to feed the wee babes.

As for rolled oats and are they raw?...there seems to be conflicting info about this. Some say no because the oats are heated when they're rolled and others say no as long as you keep the added water under 110 degrees. I don't eat it everyday, but I like them soaked for a bit in soy milk, with some honey, almonds, cinnamon spices, ginger and sometimes banana mushed in. I eat it more like cold cereal but sometimes I heat it up a bit, especially those cold winter mornings. The key is the longer they soak they better it tastes, also helps break down the inhibitors the same ways soaking nuts does. LOL Sorry the "soaking nuts" bit always cracks me up with the giggles.

Also...the organic baby food is a good start, but I highly doubt its raw. If it sits on a shelf unrefrigerated its probably not raw, unless its like nama shoyu or something (raw soy sauce). You might consider just making your own baby food, unless maybe you can find an alternative. If you have the time and the means, making your own baby food is great because you have peace of mind knowing what goes in it and it might even be less expensive than buying it.

Oh! You can also make up a batch and freeze some of it for convenience later. Just a thought.

I find making my own applesauce, and mixing in greens or other things is a great way to get a boost of raw nutrition into my nearly 2 yr. old girl, although she is neither raw nor vegan. The same principle works for juicing for her, I will take a some kale, cucumber and a couple apples. If I do the apples first I can take the pulp left over and mix a little of the juice back in for applesauce.

She also loves raw almond butter, but who doesn't!