Coffee: Good or Bad?

Vixen

I used to be a big coffee drinker and for a reason that I can't remember I stopped drinking it for a couple of years. Now that I am in college and in desperate need of more energy, I am rethinking the health benefits and disadvantages of coffee. The only coffee drink that I usually drink is soy latté.

What you guys think? Good or bad?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about french-pressed yerba mate with rice milk instead? It has the effect of supporting one's immune system, is something similar to caffeine but is not, and it tastes pretty darned good as well.

I still like an occassional organic politically correct latte with soy milk! It's my last bad habit! And jezzuz it tastes so damned good!

I love coffee and I only had it twice in a year before I met my girlfriend....it used to make me feel terrible while training but it hasn't really bothered me lately(I drink maybe 3 cups a week). However it may be a different story in the summer...anyway I say drink some mate too but I drink it with a bombilla

Hey Veganpotter, how is it with a bombilla? I've just been using my French Press to make mate, and getting used to ingesting tiny bits of leaves along with the delicious liquid. Do you also use a gourd as a cup? I have a feeling that you may drink from something awesome that you created on the wheel?

(separate subject: I just commissioned a potter to create some very large platters and vessels for me to decorate. I'll put some in my show in August)

Now, back to talking about coffee! (I love very good espresso!!!)

I love espresso too...and americanos.

As for my mate I love it with the bombilla. The first time I tried mate it was in a tea bag which was good but it didn't taste much different than tea but with the bombilla its great....its very strong for the first 10 infusions or so if you can drink it hot and don't leave it too long...its also much cheaper(not that mate is expensive but if you use a bombilla you use a lot of leaves). Anway I wouldn't drink it any other way. As for my vessel I just use mugs but I have also made my own silver bombilla.

By the way...enjoy the platters...are you glazing them or painting them???

I read the book a few month ago. Of course I know you can always find an opposite opinion but if you use common sense it comes down to this: Coffee is a highly processed "drink" and containes substances which are harmful to the human body even at small amounts. By the way: Coffee is addictive. It might have effects that seem positive first but in the long run there is nothing good about using drugs and poisoning the body everyday.

I disagree that coffee is a highly processed drink, it's just grinded coffeebeans with water. What harmful substances do you speak of? Caffeïne is not bad for a healthy person.

I agree that it is addictive, but caffeïnewithdrawal takes only 48 hours with no harmful sideeffects. There's no evidence suggesting that coffee is bad for you in the long run. But like I said before, moderation is the key.

But hey, lucky for us we can make our own choices. I you feel better not drinking coffee, I won't tell you you should.

I disagree that coffee is a highly processed drink, it's just grinded coffeebeans with water. What harmful substances do you speak of? Caffeïne is not bad for a healthy person.

I agree that it is addictive, but caffeïnewithdrawal takes only 48 hours with no harmful sideeffects. There's no evidence suggesting that coffee is bad for you in the long run. But like I said before, moderation is the key.

But hey, lucky for us we can make our own choices. I you feel better not drinking coffee, I won't tell you you should.

I agree about making our own choices. And it is up to every individual to decide what to put into its body.

Coffee is highly prosessed as you can read here for example.

Concerning the harmfullness of the withdrawal-sideeffects: IMHO it really does not matter how little harmful these effects are. The substance still causes an addiction.

Caffeïne is not bad for a healthy person

This statement was considered to be correct for dairy products, meat, cigarettes and alcohol some years ago.

Maybe you read the book I mentioned above if you are interested.

But concerning Vixens question: Coffee is bad. It does not make you ill immediately, but it is addictive, contains harmful substances like caffein and of course, is highly processed, which is not good at all. But like many other addictive things, persons who consume it will try to belittle the consequences. And of course the coffee-business is happy about every study saying that coffee is not harmfull at all. And that is another similarity to other industries.

I have never liked coffee, it has always been too bitter for me.

Being English I was a tea drinker but when I gave up dairy and moved from veggie to vegan I stopped drinking tea too. I drank tea with milk, and still never having found a soy milk I like tea went out of my diet.

I don't think I even miss it now ...

I like good espresso with soy milk! Let's agree to disagree and not preach or point fingers too much. Let's be friends. I'll be mindful about my love of the taste of good espresso, and perhaps one day I will let it go just like I let milk and eggs go out of my life. But let's try not to draw lines that separate one another, there are way too many lines between peoples.

I like good espresso with soy milk! Let's agree to disagree and not preach or point fingers too much. Let's be friends. I'll be mindful about my love of the taste of good espresso, and perhaps one day I will let it go just like I let milk and eggs go out of my life. But let's try not to draw lines that separate one another, there are way too many lines between peoples.

You are right: Maybe I overshot a little bit. Sorry Last of the Sane if my diction was not as nice as it should have been.

It is very important to me that we can have different opinions and still be friends!

How about french-pressed yerba mate with rice milk instead? It has the effect of supporting one's immune system, is something similar to caffeine but is not, and it tastes pretty darned good as well.

I still like an occassional organic politically correct latte with soy milk! It's my last bad habit! And jezzuz it tastes so damned good!

I've never heard of yerba mate until now. I'm gonna have to check it out I think!

Maybe this is a question of definition. IMO "highly processed" means that a food/thing is treated in a way that changes its structure (usually chemically or on a cellular or molecular level). Roasting and heating above 40°C would fall within this definition, grinding or mixing e.g. would not.

You are right: Maybe I overshot a little bit. Sorry Last of the Sane if my diction was not as nice as it should have been.

It is very important to me that we can have different opinions and still be friends!

I was not offended. I love a good discussion with sincere people, in fact, I do that for a living.

Your definition of "highly processed" differs from mine. I do not consider roasted or heated food highly processed.

I do not consider myself addicted to coffee, I never crave it. When I went raw for 30 days some weeks ago, I did miss the taste but I didn't have a physical craving nor did I think about it a lot.

Moderation, moderation!

Maybe this is a question of definition. IMO "highly processed" means that a food/thing is treated in a way that changes its structure (usually chemically or on a cellular or molecular level). Roasting and heating above 40°C would fall within this definition, grinding or mixing e.g. would not.

Are you a raw foodist? Anything above 40°C is essentially anything cooked. So by your definition steamed broccoli would be highly processed. The outdoor temperature here sometimes gets above 40°C, so would you consider local apples to be "highly processed".

I love coffee, but I think there are some valid arguments against it. I just don't think being highly processed is one of them.

Are you a raw foodist? Anything above 40°C is essentially anything cooked. So by your definition steamed broccoli would be highly processed. The outdoor temperature here sometimes gets above 40°C, so would you consider local apples to be "highly processed".

I love coffee, but I think there are some valid arguments against it. I just don't think being highly processed is one of them.

The change of the structure is what is essential. Hot weather do not alter the structure of an apple.

Cooking destroys the membrans of the cells. I do not know what chemical or other processes exactly take place during roasting, but I am sure, that the structure of the coffeebeans is changed clearly. To me that means it is processed.

Or would you say roasting is unprocessed or little processed?

I do not know what chemical or other processes exactly take place during roasting, but I am sure, that the structure of the coffeebeans is changed clearly. To me that means it is processed.

Or would you say roasting is unprocessed or little processed?

The definition of processed is "To prepare, treat, or convert by subjecting to a special process". By definition, almost all foods are processed, especially any foods that are cooked. I don't see how coffee is more processed than any other cooked food, or that the processing somehow makes it unsuitable for consumption.

The definition of processed is "To prepare, treat, or convert by subjecting to a special process". By definition, almost all foods are processed, especially any foods that are cooked. I don't see how coffee is more processed than any other cooked food, or that the processing somehow makes it unsuitable for consumption.

1. There is no clear cut possible between highly processed and little or wharever processed. IMO heating on low temperature causes little changes and high temperature causes more changes - which means is higher processed.

2. I do not want to start a raw food discussion here but you will certainly agree with me that coffee contains a drug called caffein.